Search for content in message boards

Thomas Burke, 1747-1783, Governor of NC

Thomas Burke

Posted: 11 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Dec 2003 7:41PM GMT
Surnames: Beach
Natalie,

Hillsborough is NOT in Burke County, NC. Hillsborough is in Orange County, NC which is about a 2 and 1/2 hour drive from Burke County. Orange County is where Chapel Hill is located. Burke County has the towns of Morganton (named for Daniel Morgan, the Rev War hero) and Valdese. Burke County is in the mountains.

NC is very funny about the counties it named after it's heroes. For instance, Thomas Burke is buried in Hillsborough, Orange County but Burke County is in the mountains. Iredell County is named for James Iredell, the Edenton native who was on the first U.S. Supreme Court. Iredell County is north of Charlotte. Its primary town is Statesville. Edenton is on the northeast coast of NC.

The town of Lenoir (named for the General) is in the mountains but the county of Lenoir is in the east.

It is terribly easy to get confused. Even natives get that way. You can email me directly at beachm@ncccs.cc.nc.us

All the best in your search,

Peggy

Thomas Burke, 1747-1783, Governor of NC

Natalie Anderson (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burke
I am looking for any genealogy information on Thomas Burke, born in Galway, Ireland @ 1747 and died December 2, 1783, his interment is at Mars Hill Churchyard, near Hillsboro, NC, which I believe is in Burke County.

What I am interested in finding out is how he is related to my g,g,g,g,g,g,grandfather John Nall(e) as they were cousins, but I do not know how they are related. I do know that Ricard Nall served on the Contential Congress at the time Thomas Burke was Governor of NC. Jan Nall is of the Martin Nall family and Martin came to United States about 1702 and settled in Virginia. He was born somewhere between 1670/1675 and sailed from England.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions