Search for content in message boards

Coughlin/Kinsale

Coughlin/Kinsale

Posted: 5 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: Coughlin, Dooley, Troy
I don't know if it's any help, but I took a photo of a Coughlan's Pub on one of the main streets in Kinsale this past August?

Pat

Re: Coughlin/Kinsale

Posted: 18 Nov 2001 1:41AM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2006 10:36PM GMT
Surnames: Lordan/Coughlin/Mullen/Riordan/Gubbins/Healy
My grandmother was born in Kinsale - actually Brown Mill town. Parents: Dennis Coughlin and Honora (Nora) Lordan. Their children were as follows:
William (Joe) 1864 - never married
Catherine - 1865 - married Charles Crump - 6 children
Jack -
Ellen (Nelle) - 1868 - Michael Beggs and then Michael Burke - 2 children
Dennis - 1869 - Mollie
Ann (Johanna) - 1870 - John Gallagher (no children)
Daniel - married Nellie O'Leary - 7 children
Patrick - 1875 - Handa Furlong, 2 children
Mary - 1876 - William OConnor - 4 children - William, Ann don't know others

Story goes that Nora Lordan's parents were both named Lordan and that their marriage brought together 2 branches of the family.

Dennis was apparently an overseer on an estate - daughter nelle wrote to a cousin (Jack Nyhan) that the family wanted to emigrate and wanted a sponsor. The family did not know she had done this. Well, cousin Jack was all for it, so the custom was that the oldest 2 went first - my grandmother didn't want to leave Ireland, but thankfully, she did leave. They came through Philadelphia because it was $6.00 cheaper than going through New York. All of the children headed for Chicago and most of them are buried at Mt. Carmel cemetery in Hillside, Ill.

I'm still researching the Irish family and am about to employ a genealogist in Kinsale. It's such a beautiful spot - I can understand my grandmother's reluctance to leave.

Peggy Anderson

Posted: 30 Jan 2002 9:30PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2003 2:32PM GMT
could you tell me more about daniel and nellie oleary from kinsale. dates childrens names etc. poss match on my family tree. i need all the help i can get . thansk liz

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 4:37AM GMT
Surnames: Nyhan/Nihan/Cronin/Foley/Sullivan/O'Brien
Do you know what year she wrote to her cousin, Jack Nyhan?
My grandfather was John "Jack" Nyhan, who changed his
spelling upon entering the US in 1908, to Nihan. His father
was William and mother was Catherine Sullivan, their parents
where James and Ellen O'Brien.

Hanorah Lordan

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 3:43AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2003 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Marsh, Lordan
Hi Peggy - I'm looking at some information on a Hanorah "Nora" Lordan, b. 1838 (about) in Ireland, who married a John Marsh, b. abt 1833 in NY. They lived in Centralia, Marion County, IL in 1880 with daughters Katie, 13, Mary, 12, Nora, 7, and Sophie, 6. All but Katie were born in IL, and Katie was born in MI. Is this woman related to your Hanorah Lordan? It seems so unusual a name to be coincidence. Best Regards, Cinda Marsh

Re: Hanorah Lordan

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Lordan
Dear Cinda,

Quite a series of coincidences - according to my mother, her grandparents - Hannorah Lordan Coughlin's parents represented the merger of 2 parts of the same family - both named Lordan. They stayed in Ireland throughout the famine - my grandmother, Nora Lordan Coughlin's oldest daughter, was named Katherine and she came to the states in 1890. She and her husband, Charlie Crump, lived in Chicago, Heyworth, and Rankin, Illinois. The entire Coughlin group came to the Chicago area in the early 1890's. They were sponsored by their cousin, Jack Nyhan.

Any of this sound at all familiar? Since my family has this Lordan merger back in the 1830's or so, I suspect that we are probably distantly related.

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 2:56PM GMT
Sorry to be so late responding. Our Jack Nyhan was in Chicago before 1890 which is the year my grandmother came to this country. I can't get over how many of the Irish had the same name - just amazing to me.

Re: Hanorah Lordan

Cinda Marsh (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2002 4:21PM GMT
Surnames: Marsh, Lordan
I really don't know much - Hanorah and John Marsh married in Michigan, and moved to Centralia, IL. She was born in County Cork, Ireland, and died in Centralia, and that's all I know. I just couldn't imagine two Hanorah Lordans not being related. An interesting mystery. I'll let you know if I ever solve it....Cinda

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 11:24PM GMT
I'm a Nyhan from Chicag. I have John Nyhan born Cork to James Nyhan and Catherine Lordan. Are we kissin' cousins?

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 7:40PM GMT
I know this reply is about 4 years overdue, but we must be kissing cousins! How much do you know about the Lordan family - my Coughlin relatives - all from Chicago originally - would really love to know more about that branch of the family. I live in Wisconsin, so I'm just up the road from Chicago.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic