Search for content in message boards

McDonell Family Bible

McDonell Family Bible

Posted: 20 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Mar 2003 4:38PM GMT
Surnames: McDonell, Young
I have a family bible that belonged to Alexander McDonell who was married to Janet Young in 1836. This bible was in the family home in Sand Point, Ontario but I KNOW through family lore that the McDonells came from Glengarry. I believe Alexander's father was one 'Big Ranald' McDonell. There is also a reference to a Cole McDonell who was Alexander's brother.

If these names fit into your family tree, please contact me.

Re: McDonell Family Bible

Posted: 8 Mar 2012 2:19AM GMT
Hi, the families you are researching are the same as mine.
Ranald McDonald and Penelope McDonnell 16-1 Lochiel) later moved to Renfrew
Flora McDonald married John Brennan:
John R. McDonald is Flora's brother (married Helen Toner?)
John McDonald and Isabella McGillivray
These folks are all buried at St. Alexanders Cemetery in Sand Point.

Ranald is the son of John McDonald and Isabella McGillivray
John McDonald is the son of Samuel and margaret McDonald who are buried at Malloch Rd. Cemetery
I am finding family members in James Allan and Deborah McDonald family tree " Ranald the Calf"

Posted: 8 Mar 2012 12:05PM GMT
Is this a document that you could scan and share electronically?

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 4:16PM GMT
I may have some information that is helpful. My Mc/MacDonald ancestry is from Arnprior area. I have linked Margaret Scott MacDonald (1st husband Alexander) and Samuel McDonald to John McDonald and Isabella MacGillivary (excuse my spelling. Margaret and Alexander being John's parents.
Isabella and John McDonald are buried in St. Alexanders Cemetery in Sand Point. (Cemetery land donated by Alexander McDonell and Janet Young) Penelope McDonell(parents married Ranald McDonald 16-1 Lochiel. (buried at St. Alexanders as well) Her daughter Flora McDonald married John Brennan (obituary is on the Glengarry Genweb) They are also buried at St. Alexanders. My 3x grandfather Alexander Scott McDonald from Braeside married Mary Hickey. It is said that Penelope made sure all her children were born on Alexandrian soil. Alexander's mother Ann who was the daughter of Margaret Scott and her 1st husband Ann married a farmer in Alexandria. We do not know his first name. He was also a Mc/MacDonald. Alexander who married Mary Hickey was born and lived in Alexandria before working in the Lumber industry. This family tree is very complicated with so many marriages between Mc/MacDonalds and Mc/MacDonells with many spellings and joining different branches. I would be interested in discussing this with Ms. annand and James Allan. I am finding many of my distant relatives in your tree.
carolbrine@hotmail.com

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 6:47PM GMT
Alexander McDonald, married to Mary Hickey was not born in Alexandria. The census of Ontario for 1851 and 1861 show him as born in Scotland.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions