Search for content in message boards

GRIFFIN/MILLER/CARLEY

GRIFFIN/MILLER/CARLEY

John Griffin (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for the origins of the Irish origins of the Griffin, Miller, Carley and families of Kent county, Ontario. Martin Griffin and Mary Miller embarked at Cork and settled in Canada in the 1830's. There son Martin married Mary, the daughter of John Carley. Martin and Mary (Carley) relocated to Muskegon, Michigan, and my branch of the family settled in Everett, Washington.
Any information is appreciated.

Thanks, John Griffin

Carley

Mary Pawlak (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Carley
I am researching the Carley branch of my family also.
Robert M Carley was married in Bernillo, NM in 1878 and
named his father as Robert N (or V?-handwritten record was dificult to read) Carley. In the 1900 census Robert M Carley listed his father has born in either Canada or England...The Carley branch was referred to as "Irish" and many relatives still have the red hair.
Robert N(V)Carley appears to be the only Carley in NM about 1850-58 not from an eastern US state. Might you have any information on Mary Carley's siblings? If any of the Carley's in NM happen to be related to your Carley's I'd be happy to share our info with you. Thanks, Mary Pawlak

Carley/family

Kimberley Gordon (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Carley, Turner, Burman, Jones, Campbell

looking for decendants of George S Carley b 1874 d 1941
married Mary-Ellen Burman b 1882 d 1916.

any info please e-mail me at KCarley37@aol.com

Carley search

Robert Cook (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
I have knowledge of George W. Carley from Texas but dates are b. 1/13/1899 d. ??? Family origin was Canada I am told.

Canada Carleys

Freda Carley Peterson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
I have reference of a Richard J. Carley, born 1835 in Picton, Ontario, Canada, of Scotch descent; came to San Juan area of Colorado in 1871. He died in Eureka, San Juan County, Colorado September 21, 1892. He was unmarried and the only known survivor was his 96 year old mother in Canada.

Re: Carley/family

Murray Pierrepont (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2001 4:27AM GMT
I too am seeking information on both the Carley and Burman families.My grandma was Gertrude Burman from Brigg,Lincolnshire and my other grandma was Loina Carley from Oxbow,Saskatchewan.Any connections?

Re: Carley

Brenda Carley Quihuis (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2001 5:33PM GMT
I believe we have a connection. There were two? brothers, Bartholemew and Robert. Bart. came to Az, Maricopa county. I know of them coming by Canada. Unsure of who stayed in Wisconsin area, if there was another brother or what? Years ago my father said relatives would come visit them, in Tucson, from Wisconsin. My Grandmother was Sophie Carley, her father was Michael Carley, desc. of Bart. and Robert.

Re: GRIFFIN/MILLER/CARLEY

Posted: 13 Dec 2001 3:39PM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2002 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Carley, Miller, Hays
Hi All: John Griffin and I are cousins, so you will find us both working on the same research of John Carley, and Mary Miller, and their children John Carley,/b Abt 1826 (I hope that is right John) and he married Maria-Brigette Griffin.

Sister Mary Carley/b b Abt. 1835 who married Martin Griffin. Martin Griffin, and Maria Griffin being brother and sister. It is the line Martin Griffin, and Mary Carley that John and I descend from.

Re: GRIFFIN/MILLER/CARLEY

Sharon Shumate (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2002 5:09AM GMT
Surnames: Rock, Ross, Bourne
I'm researching my grandmother Dorothy Georgina Ross' family. Her sister Jessie Hollis Ross (b. 1888, Scotland) married Frederick Clifford Carley (b. 1886, Bradford, Ontario). His parents were William Luther Carley and Emily Deme ?? (d. 1932 in Oakland, CA). Frederick had a brother Herbert Cecil Deme Carley (b. 1884, Bradford). Donald Ross and Jessie Mae Hollis were the parents of Jessie Hollis Ross and Dorothy Georgina Ross; they were all from Scotland. If anyone has any knowledge of this Ross family, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I hope this little bit of Carley info helps.

Re: Carley/family

Posted: 13 Sep 2010 1:41AM GMT
Hello:
Tried your email but not in service. This may help.
My great-aunt was Mary Ellen Burman (sister of my grandfather Charles Burman).

I have recently found a reference to a marriage of Eva Louisa Carley (daughter of George Carley and Mary Burman), age 27.
She married Garnet Alexander Campbell, age 41, a widower, carpenter, at Wallaceburg, Ontario Canada on August 14, 1926.

Eva's occupation is listed as being domestic help and living in Dresden and Wallaceburg Ontario.

Garnet is listed as living in Dover Township, Chatham. His parents are John Campbell (born: Canada) and Letitia Stewart.

Witnesses were George Carley of Wallaceburg and Violet Moore of London Ontario.

As an aside (and not helpful to you!) as a young person I remember visiting "the Carleys". I'm now 65 and my parents are dead. I confirmed with a cousin that she remembers relatives called Carley but they are only a name for her. We may have visited them in Windsor, Chatham, Wallaceburg or any of a number of small towns in Essex or Kent Counties or even the Detroit area. But it indicates there may be male decedents in that line.

Also one document I have lists George's middle name as James.

Another has George and Mary Ellen Carley as witnesses at the marriage of her sister Jane Burman to a John Wesley Smith on Feb 4, 1904.

W. Dennis Switzer
Calgary, Alberta Canada
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions