Search for content in message boards

Coursey in Tennessee

Coursey in Tennessee

Posted: 1 May 2004 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jan 2005 6:26AM GMT
Surnames: Coursey - King
I am trying to find information about my paternal grandmother's family. Her name was Elizabeth Coursey and she married Charles B King. Both are buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Murfreesboro TN. I THINK Elizabeth's father was Newton Coursey. Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Coursey in Tennessee

Don Douglas (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2004 4:01AM GMT
Joseph Newton Coursey born 1854, married Amanda Fannie Lawrence born 1855 both in Rutherford County, TN. Their children are: Mary L. 1875, Lizzie M. 1877, Anna 1878, Liza 1878, Edna Frances 1890, Dewitt 1894, and Jimmy Lee 1894.
Edna Frances Coursey is my grandmother.
Don Douglas

Posted: 4 Sep 2004 1:15PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2005 6:26AM GMT
Surnames: Coursey Lawrence
Thank you, Don, for your reply! I was thrilled to find a Cousin! Lizzie M. (Myrtle Elizabeth) Coursey is MY grandmother! I had heard that she had siblings that were twins, but I didn't know there were 2 sets of twins.
Please contact me so we can share information. I'd love to know more about the Coursey family.

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Coursey Hogan Haley Bennett
I have Joseph Newton Coursey's father as Tyree Haley Coursey, a CSA soldier killed at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee in 1864. His wife was Mary Hogan.

Tyree's father was Charles Coursey, born in 1780 in North Carolina. His wife was Susan Haley.

Charles's father was James Robert Coursey, born about 1748 in Granville County, North Carolina. He served in the Rev. War (Virginia Line). He died in 1840 in Bedford County, Tennessee, where his name appears on a monument at the courthouse. His wife was Susanna Bennett, from Virginia.

This is as far back as I have gotten and I would love to find more information about this family. A family legend refers to Burch or Brush Coursey who 'abandoned his family.' Does anyone know about him?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic