Search for content in message boards

Hadlock in VT, NH

Hadlock in VT, NH

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 1:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hadlock
I am researching my gr gr grandfather, Henry Dearborn Hadlock, from Jay, VT. I believe his parents were Joseph Hadlock (b. 1777) and Olive Sanborn Hadlock (b. 1781). Olive lived with her daughter, Lorraine Hadlock who was married to Jonathan Hadlock, until she died in 1872. Does anyone have knowledge of this family?

Re: Hadlock in VT, NH

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Sanborn Hadlock
Olive is the daughter of Richard Sanborn. He is my 5 x gr grandfather. In the Sanborn genealogy Jonathan is stated as the father of Joseph. Go here and download the PDF if you haven't already http://www.archive.org/details/genealogyoffamil02sanb.
I have much data on Richard at the Niles/Newstrom family tree at ancestry. (type in Richard haven't got around to adding all his children yet) Don't know much on this line of Hadlocks. If you'd like I can take a trip to Jay and Troy and see what they have for records when the weather breaks here. Maybe some cem photos. Just remind me later.

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 9:32PM GMT
Thanks for this information. I have a Jonathan Hadlock (born in 1774 in Weare) who was Joseph's brother. His father was Jonathan (1742). He also could be the father of my great great grandfather, Henry Dearborn Hadlock. Olive Sanborn (married to Joseph) had a cousin named Henry Dearborn from Weare, NH. I was wondering if Olive might have been his mother since there is a family connection the the name "Dearborn". If you find out anything, please let me know. It's a mystery!

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 7:44PM GMT
Looks like I'll be going to Troy soon for cemetery romping. Have to see how much snow they have over there. I'll check in the town offices but VT research is not as friendly or as organized as NH but we'll give it a shot. I've been very lucky because Grafton Deeds are all indexed and computerized. The whole Hadlock line before Joseph is a muddle. I looked into it and couldn't find enough substantial proof to go forward or in this case backward. There are errors in the DAR papers (not a big surprise)for Levi Hadlock Charlotte Barney descendants and the Hadlock genealogy I posted in jpeg has Levi's father being another Levi. If I can get down to Hillsborough I'll see what they have there. Always open to new searches.

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 1:12AM GMT
Surnames: Sanborn, Hadlock
Henry Dearborn Hadlock was born August 31. 1813, possibly in Bath, NH where Richard Sanborn died. The apparently this line of the Hadlock family moved to Bath from Weare, then to Jay, VT. One of those Hadlocks who moved to Jay, Vt around 1820 must be my great great grandfather.

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 9:04AM GMT
Help me figure this one out. This book is available for free download too. Something does not ring true with the whole Hezekiah in the DAR papers for Niles.
The History of Weare, NH 1735-1888
William Little
Published by the Town
Lowell Mass Printed by S.W. Huse
p.893
HADLOCK
Joseph (1) and Elisabeth Hadlock came to South Weare in 1766, where they lived a number of years; then removed to Deering. Ch.___
1. Hezekiah, m. ____Fogg; settled in Deering. He served in the Revolutionary war. Ch.: Hezekiah and Judith.
2. Richard, b. Feb. 13, 1758
3. Joseph, b. Oct 26, 1759: m. Martha Morse
4. Deborah, b. Feb 22, 1761; m. Benj. Brown of Deering.
5. James, b. April 5, 1763
6. Sarah, b. May 5, 1765
7. Mary, b. July 19, 1766
8. Anna, b. Oct 10, 1768; m. Amos Peaslee of Deering

Richard (2), son of Richard and Elisabeth Hadlock, m. Martha ______Ch. 1. Richard, b. July 1786 2. Jemima, b. Aug 21, 1788 3. Samuel, b. Dec 17, 1790

Richard, Jr (3), son of Richard and Martha Hadlock, m. Apphia Barrett in 1808. Ch. Richard, Thomas and Levi. +
Levi (4), son of Richard Jr., and Apphia (Barrett) Hadlock, m. Clarrissa Clement. One son, Alvin C., b. 1839; is a blacksmith; res. at Weare Center; m. Elvira George, who d. Jan 24, 1886. Ch. I. Edward W., b. 1866 II. Alfred D. b. 1871; d. Mar 27 1886

Jonathan (1) Hadlock, a brother to Joseph m. Betty Pettee and lived in Weare; rem. to Bath, H.H., and from there with all his family to Jay, VT., where he and his wif d.
Ch.:__
1. Abigail, b. March 19, 1769: d. April, 1769
2. Samuel, b. June, 18, 1700;m. Miriam Hadlock; rem. to DeKalb, NY
3. Hezekiah, b. Aug.10, 1772; rem. to Guildhall, VT. and d. there.
4. Jonathan, b. Nov. 28, 1774
5. Joseph, b. Mar 1777
6. Betty, b. Mar 24, 1779
7. Peter, b. Sept 17, 1781; m. Polly Straw; rem. to Shipton, C E and d. there.
8. Miriam, b. March 2, 1784
9. Rhoda, b. 1786
10. Stephen, b. Feb 26, 1790

Dearborn, Morse and Hadlock are very common name's here. My Martha Morse was one of two children that settled in Haverhill 1762 with her family. No sons so Uriah and Hannah "daughtered out". All the other Morses are unrelated unless you're willing to go way far back. This Hadlock tree is almost as bad as my Niles. But at least they don't use the same first names over and over again.

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 9:56AM GMT
I saw some trees that state (of course you know by now I don't trust them but use them only for a lead. I also don't trust many of the Birth,marr and death citations unless I can see hard copy) he married Dorothy Ann Chase, dau of Sam'l 1838. No mention of father We'll see what we dig up in either Bath, Lyman or deeds. Haven't found much write ups in the history books for Hadlock's in Grafton, but will continue to search. The Hadlock's aren't really my people but they are Mark's and I'm helping him, so I never really looked for them in the records in 2002 when I visited the town hall. Hopefully we'll hit pay dirt.

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 11:26AM GMT
Yes, that is what I have also. What further complicates things is that they married their cousins. My gr gr grandfather married his cousin Dorothy Ann Chase. This is in my family documents. This marriage is recorded in the book, Seven Generations of Aquila Chase. Help me understand the connection Jane Hadlock Niles has to Richard Sanborn. I know that Jane relocated to Nacedah, WI. There must be some connection there because Henry D. and Dorothy moved to WI for a while before moving to KS. Moses Chase also lived in Nacedah. He was Dorothy's brother.

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 11:33AM GMT
My father did a lot of research back in the 1970s, so I'm using his materials as my base. He wrote to Jay and Bath back then and they had no birth records for Henry D. Hadlock. There is a lot of misinformation on ancestry.com but it is also very helpful. But I love a good mystery and this is a real one. My email address is MZies@aol.com.

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 3:07PM GMT
In doing a surface search on your Henry I found Moses Chase's lineage. He married my Roxanna's sister and Moses father married Betsey Hadlock from the Weare or maybe it was the Deering Genealogy I sent you. There was a whole tribe of Niles and Sanborns that went to WI (1850's) at the same time. 3 Niles cousins, Moses and Family, Benning, Ruth Sanborn Robert's and husband Corliss(another Sanborn cousin). Found it interesting your Henry was there to.
Have you tried the Vital records offices in Concord? I found births and marriages there that weren' t on the books in Grafton. If I get down there to visit my friends this year I'll look for you. I don't think they do phone or email searches for anyone. All in the name of accurate genealogy. Kansas is an iffy place on death records. Did manage to find some good obits and probate records on one of my kin. The probate was in of all place at a real estate office that handled deeds. Sometimes we find things in the strangest of places. If Henry want's his lineage known he'll find a way to reveal it. Worse case scenario is that we never find out. Got alot of those. No paper trail whatsoever.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic