Search for content in message boards

John Steele, Immigrant Ancestor - Connecticut in 1630''s

John Steele, Immigrant Ancestor - Connecticut in 1630''s

Posted: 20 Dec 1999 6:06AM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2003 2:04AM GMT
My immigrant Steele ancestor was John married Rachel talcott (mar/2nd widow Mercy {Ruscoe} Seymour). The data is tangled on the several descendants John, Samuel Mary Steele lines, and I am trying to sort them out for a definitive ancestor chart that in the Steele line, at least, has few if any errors.

I have 3 Mary Steele ancestors to sort out to clarify the links in my tree to the Steele lines.

P>Anyone with specific information on STEELE in Hartford and Farmington, CT between 1630 and 1730, please drop me an E-mail.

Cheers,

Charle

John Steele From Hartford

Sean Steele (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 1999 8:57AM GMT
I just comleted a list of ancestors from your Steele line and sent them to CGLEASON@aol.com I am sure if you send him an email he would be more then happy to share with you, after all you are cousins! Please let me know if you need any more info about John Steele and I will be happy to put what I have together for you after the Holidays...Thanks Be safe Sean

Mary Steele of Farmington Hartford

Posted: 20 Dec 1999 10:50AM GMT
Hi,

Thanks and I will contact gleason.

I have the several John Steele sorted out. The three Mary Steele are my current stumbling block. Assorted records and on line files seem to have them all mixed up.

Cheers,

Charle

Mary Steele Hartford,Ct

Sean Steele (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 1999 1:27PM GMT
A brief note, Not sure about the Mary's,I do know that John was a JR. and his father was John Sr. then I think Sr's, father was Richard.I will dig out the files on the Steele's from Hartford and send what I have to you in the next day or so..
CGLEASON has two email addresses, the other one is CGleason11@aol.com you may want to try them both. Good luck Happy Holidays..SEAN

Steele

Emily Henderson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 1999 4:32PM GMT
Does your geneology contain a James Steele who married Hannah and had a daughter named Rosa Steele who married William Dunlay? This would have taken place in New York, I think. EmySk8s@aol.com
Posted: 21 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2001 3:48AM GMT
There are several sources for Steele family records. For events occurring in Hartford (1636 and thereafter) the Connecticut State Library is a valuable resource. Records are filed by name, event, church records, etc. The Steele family genealogy written by Daniel Steele Durrie in 1859 and revised in 1862 provides good information -- there are errors as there are in any recollection of data. Interestedly enough, I have been able to source how my particular family data came into print. I found the correspondence between Durrie and Marshfield Steele (through of John, John Jr, Samuel, Eliphalet, Josiah, Josiah Steele)in the manuscript collection at Duke University. My descent is as stated in the ()'s. I think too the NEGHS publication, The Great Migration Begins, has clarified many points regarding our Steele family. Let me know if I can help you in some way.

Herkimer Co. NY

Posted: 21 Dec 1999 12:02PM GMT
I think there was a large body of Steele's living in this area. Also look at books for the Mohawk Valley, NY.

Mary Steele, Mary Steel Mary Steele

Posted: 21 Dec 1999 12:49PM GMT
Sean,

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have all the generations of different John Steele down pat beginning with Richard's son John who mar/1 Rachel Talcott and mar/2 Mercy Ruscoe, widow of Richard Seymour in 1655.

It's the Mary Steele that are driving me in circles

Cheers,

Charle

Mary Steele, Mary Steele Mary Steele

Posted: 21 Dec 1999 12:53PM GMT
Nancy,

I've scanned the Barbour Collection of Vital Records for Hartford and Farmington, but haven't found a Steele Genealogy that goes back to immigrant John Rachel (I've read Greta Migration Begins).

Do you have specific publication data - date, printer, author, full title, etc handy to you ? Perhaps you can direct E-mail informaiton on these books and where you found them.

Cheers,

Charle
Posted: 22 Dec 1999 5:12AM GMT
Durrie, Daniel Steele, George and John Steele - Settlers of Hartford, Munsell, 1862, New York - available in following libraries: CT State Historical Society, CT State Library, NSDAR Library, New York Public Library - Genealogy Room. I am sure there are others too. You have read Great Migration. Also see Genealogical Gleaning in England, Vol. II, Henry Waters, reprint by Genealogical Publishing Co., 1969, That book has the wills of Talcott, Skinner, Wall -- all connected to Rachel Talcott. Preston, Belle - The Bassett-Preston Ancestors, Tuttle, Morehouse and Taylor, New Haven, 1930 - has gen. data. Barbour 158 @:319 Farmington re death of John Steele. There is also a copy of Durrie at the Stanley Whitman House, Farmington. Also Seymour, Malcolm Puritan Migration to Connecticut, Phoenix, 1982 - has quite a bit on the Steele family. The picture of the house in incorrect. It is a picture of the Stanley-Whitman. John Steele's home is felt to have been across the road according to the historian at the house. Write to Farmington Public Library Genealogy Room - they have Durrie's book - might copy some pages for you. Jacobus - List of Officials - Civil, Military, Eccalas. - 1930 pub. in New Haven, has detailed information as to offices held by John Steele and military service of John Jr. among others. Hope this helps you - write me at nanpexa@aol.com - easier for me - where do you live?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions