Search for content in message boards

Webb, Harris, Courtney (Hawkins Co. Tenn.)

Webb, Harris, Courtney (Hawkins Co. Tenn.)

Posted: 17 Feb 2002 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Aug 2006 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Webb, Courtney, Harris, Heck, Bush
I have just started research on my family. Started with newspaper clippings passed to me after my father passed away. I have been trying to hit on the names of Courtney, Harris, and Webb (my maiden name). I saw some bullentin board postings referencing these names and that is how I hope to get some assistance. Hope you can help.

I have my grandmothers obit. and her parents names were listed as C. M. Courtney and the former Addie Jane Harris of St Clair Tennessee. I have found the marriage dates for my great grandparents listed in Ancestry.com records as 30 March 1890, they were married in Hawkins Co. Tennessee. My great grandfather's full name was Cornelius M. Courtney. Cornelius and Addie had three children together all girls, my grandmother - Alta O. Courtney (borne 17 Jan 1895) , her sisters are listed in her obit. as Dona and Katie. Dona's married name is Marshall, Katie's Workman. Only Dona stayed in Tennesse and I have several letters and pictures post cards to my grandmother from her. They list lots of various names of which I have not started research tracking yet. In one post card my great aunt Dona wrote that their father found their Uncle Will Bush dead in the woods. I have the name of Maude Heck and a Mrs. Tom Coward also on a picture post card. Do any of these names ring a bell.

My grandmother married Harvey Creal Webb (born My 13, 1890 in St. Claire, Tenn.) on April 21, 1918 in St. Claire, and they moved to Emporia Kansas and had their family there of which I have several photos and news paper clippings of their life there.

My grandfather Harvey Creal Webb's obit list his parents as Mr. and Mrs. Henry Webb, a sister Mrs. Oda Phifer of Knoxville Tenn., a brother Lee Webb of Rogersville Tenn. and half brother, Charles Webb of Dayton Ohio. I have a family photo of the Henry Webb family (Harvey, Oda, and Baby Lee) I cannot make out the name of Henry's wife (may be Emmie). As soon as I can get all photos scanned I am willing to share if anyone can connect.

Any one that may be able to help with dates, places etc. other than what is listed in the clippings I have are now deceased. The Web is my only hope of tracking my ancestry.

Re: Webb, Harris, Courtney (Hawkins Co. Tenn.)

Posted: 22 Feb 2002 3:02AM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2002 1:05AM GMT
Hello Wanda,

I think I might be able to help you with the Webbs. My Grandfather Earl Webb wrote "The Webb Genealogy" book and he is the oldest son of Charles Edward Webb who is the half brother you mention in your message. Henry Gaines Webb b. Jan 23rd, 1867 married (1) April 12, 1887, Emma (your guess Emmie was close) P. Campbell b. May 7,1868 had three children 1. Lee Webb 2. Creel Webb 3. Oda Webb.
Then married Sallie Sarah Lucinda Wolfe and had one child Charles Edward, my GGrandfather. I can make a copy of my Grandfather's book and send it to you. It takes our Webbs back to one Theodoric Webb b. 1769 in Buckingham Co. Virginia and includes many pictures. I would like to exchange information, pictures, etc. with you.

Posted: 26 Feb 2002 2:27AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2005 9:32PM GMT
Hi Joe,
I've tried sending you an email, but they just keep getting returned. I would love a copy of your Webb info and I would be happy to pay you for the copies and postage. I, too, could get much more research done if work would just leave me alone!
Thanks again,
Robin Kinney
412 E. Locust St
Bloomington, IL 61701

Posted: 14 Apr 2002 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Webb/Brown/
Joe,
It is a longshot but i am seeking information my grt grandmother Amanda Webb....according to information I have found she was born in Scott Co VA about 1878-1882. Her mother Nancy Brown was from Hawkins Co Tennessee and it is possible at some point in time her father J.R. Webb was in Hawkins co. I have located Amanda, JR, and my grandmother Mamie (2 yr old) in the 1900 Scott Co Va census but there is no indication of Amanda (aka Mandy) after that. Do you by any chance have any record or information on any of these folks...Amanda (aka Mandy) Webb, Nancy Brown, James R (Randolph?) Webb, or a Luke Pannell (Parnell). Mandy married Luke in 1897(Scott Co VA) but in 1900 was again listed in the census as Amanda Webb...could have been a mistake or maybe the marriage ended...since there is a Webb connection in Hawkins county, in the pursuit of overturning every stone, I am seeking help from every angle I can think of. If you have any information on any of these people please contact me. I would greatly appreciate any help. Amanda just disappeared after 1900 without a trace so far.Is Hawkins County close to S.W. Virginia?

Teresa Helton Garcia (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2002 2:57PM GMT
Pat.
I descend from the Webbs of Hawkins County and have a little information on them. Unfortuneately no absolute answers but maybe I can provide you some clues. Given your Amanda's approximate birth year of 1878-1882 we can assume that her father James R Webb was born ca 1858 - 1868. Here are a couple of James Webbs of Hawkins that you might want to investigate.

1. James Webb born 25 July 1858 son of David Webb and Mary A Kenner
2. James D Webb born 1861 son of Theoplilus Webb and Leah M Webb

If you haven't already I would suggest writing to the state and obtaining James R Webb's death certificate. You might get lucky and find his parents listed on it. Then maybe I can help some more. Good luck.
Teresa

Pat Herron (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2002 9:53PM GMT
Surnames: Webb, Brown, Pannell, Ely, Robbins, Alley, Gardner, Shinliver
Teresa,
Thanks for your reply. I do know J.R. Webbs father and mother's name. W illiam Webb and Mary "Polly" Gilliam and they are from Scott Co. According to information I have, J.R. was born in Scott Co. My reason for believeing he might have other connections to Hawkins Co. is because his wife Nancy Brown is from Hawkins County. In searching for Amanda, I have exhausted just about every other avenue. I don't know where she went from Scott Co after the 1900 census and it was a longshot that someone in Hawkins Co. might have some infromation on her or the family.....Thanks for replying...

Joe Webb (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2002 10:06PM GMT
Hello Pat,

Unfortunately I did not find any of the names you mentioned in my grandfather's "Webb" book other than Mary Polly Webb, b.1809 d.1892 daughter of Theodoric Webb, b. 1769, Buckingham Co., Va., d.1851, Choptack, Hawkins Co., Tenn. and Catherine Mattox, b.1788, d.1870, Choptack, HAwkins Co., Tenn. Hawkins county is located in the NE corner of Tennessee and you might try www.rootsweb.com/~tnhawkin/ for more information. Good luck.

Pat Herron (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2002 1:06AM GMT
Thanks so much for your reply. I do appreciate your time and effort.

Tammy Mersino (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2005 6:10AM GMT
Surnames: Webb, Roach or Roch
Joe,
I am seeking information on John Webb Roach (later dropped the Roach and became Webb). His daughter Elizabeth Webb Roach married Elijah Clayton. The marriage index in Grainger Co., TN lists a marriage bond dated 11-11-1813 for Elijah and Elizabeth W. Roach and the bond was signed by John W. Roach.

I do not have information on John Webb Roach's parents. However, I am wondering if he may be the brother of the Theodoric Webb that you refer to. I know you said you have traced Theodoric's birthplace to Buckingham Co, VA. Do you have any information as to his parents, or if John may be his brother?

I would appreciate any information that you have. Thank you.

Tammy Mersino

Posted: 8 Jan 2006 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Webb
I started researching my Webb family within the last year. James R. Webb is my great great uncle. I do have some info on him, but can put you in touch with his great great grandchildren who have a wealth of info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions