Search for content in message boards

William Cochran of Gilmer County, GA

William Cochran of Gilmer County, GA

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for parental info for my ggrandfather, William Cochran who married Mary Orton in Gilmer County, GA. in 1884. They are on the 1910 and 1920 census for Gilmer County but I can not find hid nor hair of them before or after. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: William Cochran of Gilmer County, GA

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 1:35AM GMT
What are their ages on the census information that you have?

I have located several Cochrans on the 1870 census taken July 13 of that year in Gilmer County. One rather large family includes a Mary (age 24) and William (age 27) living in the household of Lila Cochran (age 65). Others listed in the household are Woody W. Mc - domestic servant (age 21), Jane Cochran, Richard Cochran (age 28) and Elizabeth Cochran (age 21).

The next household is Riley Cochran (age 22, Polly, his wife (age 21) and Harriet (age 1).

The 1880 Census shows a William and Mary living in the household of what looks like "Silly" on the census but may be Billy?? Hope this gives you something to work with.

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 1:36AM GMT

I have located several Cochrans on the 1870 census taken July 13 of that year in Gilmer County. One rather large family includes a Mary (age 24) and William (age 27) living in the household of Lila Cochran (age 65). Others listed in the household are Woody W. Mc - domestic servant (age 21), Jane Cochran, Richard Cochran (age 28) and Elizabeth Cochran (age 21).

The next household is Riley Cochran (age 22, Polly, his wife (age 21) and Harriet (age 1).

The 1880 Census shows a William and Mary living in the household of what looks like "Silly" on the census but may be Billy?? Hope this gives you something to work with.

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 1:36AM GMT

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 1:37AM GMT
Sorry for the multiple posting - the page got stuck and I hit the post button again. Please forgive!

Bill Griffin (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2004 1:41AM GMT
Terry
Thanks for the reply.
The 1900 census for Gilmer County Ga. gives the birth for William as July 1860 and an age of 39. It shows Mary as Oct. 1867 and age 32. Both William and Mary were born in Georgia but both sets of parents are shown as North Carolina.
Children from this marriage are:Martha, Sidney, Minnie, Rosetta, Louella, and James Clifford.
Since the 1890 census was destroyed, there is a huge gap to get back and try to pick them up in 1880 - before they were married in 1884. I have not found them on the 1920 census yet either.

Thanks

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 2:25AM GMT
Well - I didn't find much, but I did find a Frank Orton here:

1880 U.S. Federal Census > Georgia > Fannin > All Townships > District 59

with a daughter Mary that states she was born in GA and both parents in NC -but she is too old to be your Mary. But thought it might be a cousin or something. I know how hard it is to track down William's and Mary's - don't you wish they were named something like Alabenicar or something unique!

Maybe this will be a lead. Happy hunting! Sorry that I couldn't do more.

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 2:42AM GMT
Thanks - I found a ton of Ortons in Fannin County but only 1 Mary as you did. The census shows her as 11 years old. Stranger things are showing up. The 1900 census shows Mary as 32 but the 1910 census shows her as 57????????
I guess they age quickly in those Gilmer County hills.

I appreciate your looking.
Bill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic