Search for content in message boards

CORBIN,Placentia Bay,Argentia,Nfld.,and Nova Scotia

CORBIN,Placentia Bay,Argentia,Nfld.,and Nova Scotia

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CORBIN, Greene. Smith, Linnell
Looking for genealogy information on ANY family named CORBIN (or related) anywhere in Placentia Bay from about 1770s onward,especially Argentia and Placentia and point Verde.
JOHN CORBIN and brother DANIEL CORBIN were listed in Argentia(then called Little Placentia) in 1776. Daniel married SARAH(unknown) and had sons William and James.WILLIAM CORBIN (1796-1866) married CATHERINE SMITH( possibly a LINNELL family connection too).They moved to New Ross,NS, and later Catherine died(1887) in Chester,NS.
(both Lunenberg Co.). Would Catherine Smith have been part-Indian?
JOHN CORBIN married MARY(unknown).John died in early 1790s(age 67),Widow MARY CORBIN married my GGG-GF,JOHN GREENE. Previously,there was a son JOHN CORBIN JR. (1778-1870).He married ELLEN(unknown),had kids Daniel(1809-1890),Sarah (alive in his Will of 1859),Mary(1823-1871).
Does anyone have more information on this Corbin family line,old or current? Does anyone know maiden names of WIDOW CORBIN(John Corbin,1790s),or Ellen and Sarah's maiden names? Thanks.Ward.wardgreene@hotmail.com

Re: CORBIN,Placentia Bay,Argentia,Nfld.,and Nova Scotia

Posted: 11 Apr 2007 5:33PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Black, Matchette, Overbaugh
Our family had a Catherine Smith born 1826 and died 1866
I do not know who she married but she had many siblings and they lived in Lower Tower Hill charlotte county NB My gggggrandfather was William Smith from Ireland 1825 who Married Mary Black they had children in this order Catherine 1826, John b 1830, Elijah b 1832, William b 1833, Thomas b 1837, Ann b 1839 ,Victoria b 1841 , Jane b 1843, George b 1845 Robert b 1847, Adalaine b 1849. William b 1833 Was my ggggrandfather.He married Sarah Matchette they had Frank Royal Smith and He married Jesse Overbaugh I will help others how I can I still need alot of info on WIliams siblings hopefully this is a connective.

Posted: 12 Apr 2007 1:01AM GMT
Surnames: Corbin,Smith
Hi PandaGirl25...I can'r see a connection and don't recognize most of the names other than the very common ones. So unless you know they are from the Argentia Smiths and/or related to the Catherine Smith married to Corbin in NS,there doesn't seem to be a connection . If you have other evidence re a possible connection.I'd be very interested.Thanks.Ward.

Re: CORBIN,Placentia Bay,Argentia,Nfld.,and Nova Scotiareply

Posted: 12 Apr 2007 5:43AM GMT
hi Ward I only know what I gave you her name is in our family Bible but I dont know who she married sorry...

Posted: 12 Apr 2007 7:31AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Hi Pandagirl25 again...any chance your Smiths became part native American somewhere along the line ?Ward

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 3:48AM GMT
Hi Ward
If Catherine married into native lines the answer is yes but I have no proof or knowledge of that as both her parents were from Ireland. But all their children were born in New brunswick. And scattered West South NOrth ETc...If I can find out more about her I will pass it on Thank You

Posted: 7 May 2007 12:25AM GMT
My Catherine SMith was born in St Davids Parrish Charlotte CO New Brunswick sorry for confusion

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 4:23PM GMT
I am interested in the Linnell connection, as family historian of the Linnell Family Association. Are these Linnells from Newfoundland or Nova Scotia? Do you have additional information on this line? Are they descended from the Linnells of Cape Cod MA as most of us are? If so, do you have the line of descent?
There are a couple of disconnected lines from early times on the Cape that we are trying to connect. Thanks.
Dan McConnell

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 11:21PM GMT
Surnames: Corbin,Greene,Linnell,Smith
Hi Dan....I only have the name Linneel from someone else,which is why in my original posting I say there might be a Linnell connection to my particular Corbin line. However,I have no information on the Linnell family other than they might be connected in NS. The Smith connection I guessing to be from the Smiths who lived in walking distance from Daniel Corbin in Argentia,before he moved back to NS. So I am looking for the information also,not in a position to giv e any on NS Corbins.However,I have a coiple of pages or more on my immediate Corbins in Placentia,Argentia,Newfoundland. My Corbin connecion is my GGG-GM being the Widow Corbin,and her previous son John Corbin Jr. being therefore my half-relative(half brother to my direction ancestor),and all his Corbin descendants are likewise my relatives. Because John Corbin Jr. was born 1778,and Widow Corbin married my GGG-GF in earlt 1790s, it makes me wonder if there were other Corbin children besides John Corbin Jr. Quite happy to swap with anyone who can give me m ore on the NS or other links to the same family.Thanks.Ward.wardgreene@hotmail.com

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Corbin, Pendergast, Myatt, Fahie, McGinnis, Beaton, Delorey
I'm not sure if this will help you, but my second great grandfather was James Corbin born in Newfoundland about 1832. He married a Margaret (Pendergast) Corbin who was born in Ireland. They had 6 children 3 of which settled in the eastern part of Massachusetts, USA. Their son William Richard Corbin (born 1861 in Newfoundland - died 1916 in Quincy, MA, USA) was my great-grandfather and married Anora Fahie (Fahey) of Nova Scotia. If you would like to share any information, you can reach me at cmt524@comcast.net. Thanks!

Christine Toler
per page

Find a board about a specific topic