Search for content in message boards

Mary Burke nee Ivory d 1927, Kilmuckridge. Mary married a Burke, Wiliam went abroad

Mary Burke nee Ivory d 1927, Kilmuckridge. Mary married a Burke, Wiliam went abroad

Posted: 22 Sep 2006 10:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ivory, Burke
I was looking for info on my grandmother, Mary Burke (nee Ivory) who died in 1927. I found her grave in the old churchyard in Kilmuckridge. As well as my grandparents being interred in the grave, the headstone states 'In memory of John Ivory, who died in Coolroe March 19, 1926. Late of Rochester USA'.

I'm assuming this is my gran's grandfather, but I'm at a loss about how to research this man. I've looked in the online resources, but with no luck. I know my gran died when she was about 27 and my dad was brought up by my gran's parents (I think in Ballygarrett, but it could have been Kilmuckridge). I don't know my g-grandparents' names and when I was in Ireland the other week, the trail appeared to be cold.

I think my gran had one surviving brother, William, who went off to either Canada or New Zealand in either the late 20s or 30s.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery for me, please?

Re: Mary Burke nee Ivory d 1927, Kilmuckridge. Mary married a Burke, Wiliam went abroad

Rachel Darlington (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2006 1:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello

If I were you I would start by getting a copy of the death cert of your gran's grandfather (John Ivory). You never know what clue this might give. The informant is often the eldest son. John Ivory died in 1926 so, as it is post 1864, you can request the cert from the GRO in Dublin.

To find your gran's parents you need to get two certs.

You need to get your gran's death cert, also from the GRO. Your gran's death cert will show you her age at death. You can then work out her date of birth and (providing she was born in the same place she died) you can get her birth cert from the GRO. Your gran's birth cert will show who her parents were. You can keep going back like this until 1864.

If you have a name, place of death and approximate year you can get a death cert. The GRO will do a 5 year search around the death year you specify and provide you with the cert for € 6. If they can't find the cert, they will charge you €2.

You cannot currently order certificates on line from GRO but you can send a completed form, with credit card details (as you live abroad), by post. Here is the web link to download the form...
http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

I hope this is useful and good luck

Rachel

per page

Find a board about a specific topic