Search for content in message boards

Allen Gay

Allen Gay

Posted: 2 Nov 2007 2:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hale, Stamps, Brown, Gay
I recently found out that I may possibly be related to Allen Gay through the Stamps line. There was a dedication ceremony at the Macedonia Baptist Church in Newnan, GA. I don't have very much information to date. I do know that two of his children married Stamps: Gilbert m. Sarah Stamps and Elias m. Louisa Stamps.

Could anyone please help me find the lineage? It would go through ggf George W. Stamps and gm Willie Mae Stamps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to email me at dhale44@yahoo.com

Thank you
Diann

Re: Allen Gay

Posted: 2 Nov 2007 2:29PM GMT
I attended the Allen Gay marker dedication ceremony. The following link will take you to pictures taken by the local newspaper. they are meant for sale but they are free to browse.

http://reprints.newnan.com/gallery/3666477

This is a copy of the short biography that I read at the Dedication. It was written by Candace Gravelle who she was unable to attend.

"Allen Gay was born March 15, 1765 in Northampton County, North Carolina.

He lived in Franklin County, North Carolina when at the age of 16 he enlisted in the Army during the Revolutionary War. He was assigned to Capt. Robert Raiford's Company of Colonel Dixon's North Carolina Regiment. He fought in the battle of Eutaw Springs and was discharged in the spring of 1782 having served eleven to twelve months in the War.

Allen Gay married Abigail Castleberry about 1786, the daughter of John Castleberry. They were the parents of nine children, five sons and four daughters:

1. John William Gay who married Margaret Eady
2. Elizabeth Gay who married Henry Eady
3. Temperance Gay who married William Brock
4. Thomas Gay
5. Martha Elizabeth Gay who married Obediah Wright
6. James Gay
7. Gilbert Gay who married Sarah Stamps
8. Elias Gay who married Louisa Stamps
9. Matilda Gay who married Washington Dyer
----
Allen Gay drew land in the Georgia Land Lottery in 1827 for his Revolutionary War service and settled in Coweta County.

Many of Allen Gay's descendants engaged in the honorable profession of Farming. They had a deep love of the land, which they cleared with their own hands and labor, and where they raised their large families, many of whom continued in that same honorable profession of Farming into the twentieth century. Like most families of those times, they had many trials, sorrows and joys, holding on to their belief in God and Country and their great love of family.

The many descendants of Allen Gay are gathered here today with great pride, to honor him and to honor the GAY family in that same tradition."

Larry

Posted: 2 Nov 2007 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Hale, Brown, Gay, Stamps
Larry,

Yes I remember your reading. I have been trying to find the lineage and documentation of Allen Gay down to me so that maybe I could join the DAR. One of the ladies promised to email me the information. But, I have a feeling it will not be sent. Could you help me with this matter? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Diann Hale

Posted: 2 Nov 2007 7:34PM GMT
Diann,
I don't have much information on the Stamps family and what I do have is basically second hand information that I have not documented. The minutes of Indian Creek Baptist Church in Carroll Co., GA are on microfilm and contains many, many references to the Stamps and Easons who left Coweta Co., GA. The Stamps and Eason families helped organize the church. Many of my wife's Gay relatives are mentioned in the minutes,specifically Gilbert and Sarah Gay. I wish I could be of more help.

I know that the above minutes can be found at the Bowdon Georgia Library and at the Neva Lomason Library in Carrollton, GA. I don't know if they are at any other location. In the meantime I will give your name and email address to a family researcher who I know has more Stamps' information than I do.

Good luck in your search. If I can be of further help let me know.

Larry

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 8:32PM GMT
I'm a descendant of Allen Gay,and Abigail Castleberry through their daughter Martha Gay that married my ancestor Obediah Wright,and through their son Sydney D Jackson Wright.I need to fill out more of my family tree on ancestry.com.But I know that there are so many people to add,lol.I know a lot about my ancestry,and I bought a DNA test through 23andme,and they told me that my maternal haplogroup is L2a1c3,and I knew that there are many different lines that were Native American,but was shocked to find out my maternal haplogroup was in Nigeria just 500 years ago,and especially shocked on that it was that line because I thought my maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother was the only grandparent that most likely didn't even have any Native American ancestry of my maternal grandmothers grandparents.

Posted: 1 Apr 2014 2:56AM GMT
Surnames: Wright
Hello. My 2nd g-grandfather is Sydney's brother Elias Dial Wright. I hope you can help me with more information about the Wright family in Georgia. Most of the siblings and their father Obediah ended up in Texas after the Civil War. Please write me back so I know you were able to read this. Thank you.

Posted: 2 May 2014 2:38PM GMT
I'm trying to prove that Frances McDaniel Gay is the daughter of John Gay and Margaret Eady. John is a son of Allen Gay. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might search?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions