Search for content in message boards

Families from Garia

Families from Garia

Posted: 3 Sep 2001 7:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Mar 2002 11:57PM GMT
I am interested in any family that lived in Garia, Newfoundland before 1860. Some are Hartnell, Troke, Hayward, Gregory etal.
Daryle

Re: Families from Garia

Gerald Major (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2001 10:37AM GMT
Another Garia name is Smith. John Smith who in 1860 was a widower of Garia and married Sarah Mauger,a widow of Petites. Recorded in the Petites Methodist marriages. This Sarah could have been my gggrandmother.
Gerald

Posted: 5 Sep 2001 2:43PM GMT
I am surprised how many names I have gotten with that query. We need to have a union with the families form Garia. I have been in Newfoundland three times and love it. I want to go back next year and visit Garia. Was you Smith one that went to Anticosti Island? Daryle

Posted: 12 Oct 2001 11:18PM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2003 11:47PM GMT
You mentioned Smith a family from Garia that possibly went to Anticosti Island. Do you know of a list of these families who went to Anticosti Island. I have several families in my tree who went to Anticosti. Osborne, Stubbert, Keeping/Kippen.

Posted: 13 Oct 2001 11:39AM GMT
I'm sorry I don't have a list. But I have a membership to NLGS and I will ask them if they have any idea how we could obtain one. I believe they left in 1873 to sort of colonize the Island. An experiment that didn't work out too well. My great-grandfather Joseph left in 1879 for Wisconsin and Anna came on a year later with the children. Will let you know when I find out something. Those names you gave me are not from Garia, but I'm sure there were a lot of people they talked into going from all parts of Newfoundland. You might be able to find those names in the 1870 census. Daryle

Posted: 13 Oct 2001 12:12PM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2003 11:47PM GMT
The families that I list went from Port aux Basque or that area. I believe Captain Edward Osborne was the skipper on the vessel that took them to Anticosti. The Osbornes were later resettled to Garland, Manitoba and some of them died out there in an outbfeak of typhus. Those that survived returned on their own and some settled on Quebec's Lower North Shore. It is quite a fascinating story of the plight of these people.

Posted: 23 Oct 2001 2:19PM GMT
Sharon:
I was looking over my material and found a message from Gerald Major who mentioned a Smith from Garia. John Smith who in 1860 was a widower who married Sarah Mauger, a widow of Petites. (I'm quoting) Can't give you his address it was on Ancestry.com on a message board. Found the article I copied about the change to Anticosti, but no names are mentioned. I still am going to try the Genealogy group in Newfoundland. None of the names you mentioned, Osborne, Stubbert, Keeping/Kippen are on the Garia Census of 1870. The familes left in 1873. According to the article 3/4 of the residents of Garia and Garia Bay were gone by 1874. They left from Port Aux Basques. There is just a little more. If you want to you can contact me at dirlthegirl@hotmail.com Daryle

Posted: 3 Jan 2002 3:45AM GMT
Sharon:
I got in touch with the Genealogy group in St. John's. They reccommended that I contact the Maritime History Archive for information on the ship that went to Anticosti Island and the possible chance of finding a passenger list. The web site is mha@morgan.ucs.mun.ca I am going to try to contact them tomorrow. I will let you know what I find but I also thought you might be interested in other things too so I am sending the site to you. Daryle Stephenson

Posted: 3 Jan 2002 3:52AM GMT
Gerald:
Can't remember if I answered this. But here goes. There were 2 Smith's in Garia. One was Joh and one was Joseph. I finally found the 1871 Directory on the web and found very few Smiths in Newfoundland. Daryle

Posted: 3 Jan 2002 3:58AM GMT
Sharon:
I forgot to ask. Where did you find something that described what happened to the group that went to Anticosti Island? I am very interested. The Hartnells went there and I think one son went to Perth and then to Wisconsin where the rest of the family was living. Daryle Stephenson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions