Search for content in message boards

Daniel B. Cannady of Georgia

Daniel B. Cannady of Georgia

Posted: 14 Feb 2000 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Feb 2002 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: Canady, Durden
I am looking for information on Daniel B. Cannady of Emanuel County, Georgia. He possibly had two brothers named William E. and James H. Daniel B. Cannady was born around 1831 and married Rebeccah Durden around 1851. Their were several older Cannady men: Edmund, Henry, John, Samuel and Solomon. I wonder if one of these may be his father.

family search/ your email address

Posted: 20 Apr 2000 7:33AM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2001 2:13PM GMT
Edwin, this is darrell from atlanta(woodstock). Please send me your email address. I'm still looking for information to help narrow our search down

Daniel B. Cannady

Posted: 28 Apr 2000 10:01AM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2005 12:34AM GMT
Louis,
I wonder if the William E. you mentioned in your querie is my Gr.Gr.Grandfather who was born in 1820 and died in 1889. He was from Emanuel County and was married to Mary Durden. (Don't have a wedding date.) She was born in 1816 and died in 1889. She was also from Emanuel County. They had several children. I have info on them if you are interested. Let me know.

Daniel B. Cannady

Posted: 28 Apr 2000 8:40PM GMT
Vivian, I would like the information that you have. I believe that this William E. is possibly the brother of Daniel B. In 1850, Daniel B. was listed as living in the household of William E. Cannady. Daniel B. Cannady's wife, Rebecca Durden, was the sister of William E. Cannady's wife, Mary. Do you know the father of William E. Cannady and where William E. is buried? His son's, William and Welcome, are buried in the old Cannady cemetery in Emanuel County. Louis E. Cannady

Daniel B. Canady

Posted: 29 Apr 2000 3:38PM GMT
Louis,
I don't know who William E.'s father was or where he was buried. Where is the old Canady cemetery in Emanuel County located? My Daddy looked and looked on a farm between Twin City and Hawhammock Baptist Church, but I don't think he ever located the graves. I think Daniel B. is probably William E.'s brother since it matches censuses that I have copies of. The children of William E. and Mary Durden are as follows:
John C., Aug. 8, 1853-Abt. 1883. He was born in Emanuel County and married Martha Alice Sumner in Emanuel County on May 10, 1878.
Rebecca, Abt. 1840
Mary, Abt. 1842
William, May 18, 1845-Feb. 26, 1912. He was born in Georgia and married Elizabeth Jane Sumner in Emanuel County on Apr 1, 1865. She is Martha Alice's sister.
Berry Ann, 1850-Bef.1860.
Sarah, Abt. 1849. She married Josiah Davis on Dec. 20, 1867 in Emanuel County.
Welcome, Abt. 1851.
Henry E., Abt. 1855.
James Berrian, Abt. 1857. There was a James Berrian who married Ophelia Kemp Abt. 1886. Don't know if this is the same one.
Which line are you from? I am from the John C. line. I have the children of John C., William, and James Berrian, if this is the right one, that I will send later if you want them. Let me know. Thanks for your help.
Vivian

Daniel B. Cannady

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 3:44PM GMT
Vivian, according to the farm ge was on, your father may have been pretty close. The cemetery is on a farm between Twin City and Hawhammock Church. Oh Highway 80, travel West towards Swainsboro. About 3/4 mile past Old Canoochee Church, there is a road called The Old Reidsville Road. If you turn left, the road is paved. If you turn to the right, the road is still dirt. Turn to the right. Down the road (less than one mile), you will come to an intersection with a house on the left and a barn on the right. The cemetery is located in the field on the right. During the Spring, the field will be planted (most likely in cotton). If you stand beside the barn, the cemetery is approximately 45 degrees to your right (at the back side of the field). It is somewhat grown up, so just look for trees and bushes. The cemetery also is the burial place for Jacob Durden. His grave is on the left front corner of the cemetery and is marked by the DAR. Jacob Durden was a Revolutionary soldier. His son Henry is also most likely buried there in a unmarked grave. Henry is the father of Rebeccah Durden and Mary Durden. Rebeccah married Daniel B. Cannady and Mary married William E. Cannady. The James Berrian that married Olpelia Kemp is the correct one by the way. He is buried in Montgomery County in Brady Cemetery. He went by "Doc". We also have a copy of William E. Cannady's will. If you want, I will make a copy and send it to you.
Louis

email address

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 3:45PM GMT
Darrell, my email address is ecannady@uga.edu. Edwin

Daniel B. Canady

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 4:53PM GMT
Louis,
Thanks for the directions to the farm. It sounds like the same one I went to with Daddy. He pointed out some trees where he thought the graves were. I'll make sure I look it up the next time I am down there. Thanks for the confirmation on James Berrian, and the other info on the Durdens. Yes, I would love a copy of William E.'s will.
Who were your parents and where do you live?
Were you from Emanuel County? I live in Raleigh, N. C. but was from Emanuel County. In fact I was just down there this week. My father was Ray Canady, son of Robert Neal, son of John C., son of William E. Your name sounds familiar. I have been trying to place you and a Darrell Cannady from Woodstock. Are you two related?
Thanks again for all your help.
Vivian

Daniel B. Cannady

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 6:11PM GMT
Vivian, Darrell Cannady from Woodstock and I are first cousins. His father was Johnny Reul and my father was Louis Seaborn Cannady. Their father was John C. Cannady, a child of Daniel B. and Rebeccah Cannady. By the way, the Louis you probably more familiar with was Louis, my father. He worked with the County (Emanuel) for years. Your father and my father probably knew one another. I am almost sure they did. I go by the name of Ed or Edwin. Louis E. (Ed) Cannady

Daniel B. Cannady

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 8:21PM GMT
Ed,
Did William E. and Daniel B. both have sons named John C. or do I have something wrong? What was your grandmother Hattie's maiden name?
Thanks for the info. Look forward to hearing more.
Vivian
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions