Search for content in message boards

Possible scam using ancestry personal message service

Possible scam using ancestry personal message service

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Sep 2012 9:04PM GMT
There may be one or more people doing this but I have been offered photos. The person offering the photo claims to have a photo of your family. They do not ask for any money at first but eventually want you to make them an offer for the item. I may have received two such requests. I know the second offer is entirely fake because no such family exists. They offered me a photo of a family with the surname of a family I have researched. They failed to notice that I had made a name correction. It is highly unlikely that the photo had the same error as the ancestry indexing. I may be wrong about this so I don't want to accuse anyone here but it is certainly suspicious. I am trying to determine if they are using photos copied from ancestry. They do use ancestry to make initial contact. Should I call on Monday or use another option?

By the way I am not out any money. I am a bit concerned about the fact that I gave them an email address. I rarely do that but did I make a big mistake? I'm changing the password just in case. Any other steps that I should take?

Re: Possible scam using ancestry personal message service

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 4:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Don't worry. Someone having your email address is not the same as having access to your email account. You do not have to change your password.

Yes, report them to Ancestry. If they emailed you then be sure to keep the emails and get the full headers from them. This will help in tracking them down. This is not hard to do in most email programs but I can't tell you how to do it in yours.

I'm hoping Ancestry will be responsive and will not only help in stopping them but will tell you where else to report this scam.

Please keep us posted.

Cyndi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic