Search for content in message boards

HALL, Londonderry, Guernsey, Ohio

HALL, Londonderry, Guernsey, Ohio

Posted: 21 Oct 2004 10:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hall
Looking for information on the James Hall b. Londonderry 1802, Married to Elizabeth Spencer born 1810 VA. sons: John 1833, Spencer 1835, James 1840, David 1850, daughter Elizabeth 1832....maybe others.

James may have had a brother Henry, father maybe John Hall.

Re: HALL, Londonderry, Guernsey, Ohio

Craig Cowden (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2004 8:45PM GMT
I have both Halls and Spencers in my family, and I don't see overlap, but thought I'd try anyway. Was Elizabeth Spencer's father Nathan? Nathan lived in Goose Creek, Loudoun Co., VA, and moved to Ohio because he couldn't stand slavery. He was a Quaker and was part of the original settlement of Quaker City. I have 11 children in that generation, but none are named Elizabeth. I have a Betsy, but supposedly her married name was Cowgill. What part of GC are we talking about--Millwood Township?

Judy Hall (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2004 3:48AM GMT
Surnames: Hall Spencer
I know very little about Elizabeth Spencer..born VA 1810 died Feb 14, 1864 Madison, Londonderry Twp GC Ohio., I find Elizabeth and James in the 1840, 50, and 1860 census in Madison, Londonderry, Guernsey Ohio.

James was born in Londonderry, Ohio and died there as well.
Judy

Posted: 3 Nov 2004 11:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2004 3:01AM GMT
I looked up the name in the 1850 Guernsey Co. Census, Londonderry Township, and find the following:
James Hall 48 M Carpenter born OH
Elisabeth 40 F born VA
Elisabeth 14 F OH
John 16 M Carpenter OH
Spencer 14 M OH
James 10 M OH
There is also the following family:
James Hall 50 M Farmer worth $1400 born PA
Elizabeth 48 F born OH
Sarah E. 18 F OH
Basil 15 M OH
Thos. J. 9 M OH
Catharine 7 F OH
Joseph M. 5 M OH
Lucinda 3 F OH

A Henry Hall with wife Phebe and family is listed in Millwood township near a bunch of other Halls, but they all appear to have been born in NC. Glenn

Judy Hall (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2004 4:31AM GMT
Thanks,
The first James Hall, born in Ohio, is our line. I have some information on children John, Spencer and James. I do not know what happened to children, David or Elizabeth. The three brothers moved to Missouri after their parents died. Some time later John moved to Elk Co., Kansas, Spencer to Arkansas and then Oklahoma, James was a Doctor in Oklahoma. I do not know who the parents of James Hall or Elizabeth Spencer were. Thanks again, Judy

Posted: 21 Feb 2005 3:23AM GMT
Craig,
I have record of Elizabeth Spencer married to Cowgill of Belmont CO Ohio found in the Quaker records. Believe see was a daughter of Isaac Cowgill and Sarah Gillock who came to Ohio from Va about1800. Do you have any information on the Cowgill family? Jane

Judy Hall (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2005 4:33AM GMT
wish I could help you, all I have is the name Elizabeth Spencer 1810 Va. married James Hall born 1802 Ohio.
I've yet to find his parents either. Nothing on this new family. Thanks, Judy

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 5:23AM GMT
Surnames: Gillock Cowgill
Hi,
I have Isaac Cowgills family and Sarah Gillock's family.. Just nothing on them after their marriage.

Husband: Isaac Cowgill
Birth: Before 1773 Place: NJ
Father: George (I) Cowgill
Mother: Elizabeth Crammer
Marriage: 15 May 1794 Place: Orange Co., VA; license issued 3 May 1794, Rev James Garnett
Wife: Sally Gillock
Birth: Place: Orange Co., VA
Research: ®653
Father: Laurence Gillock (1728-1786)
Mother: Elizabeth Jane or Jane Elizabeth Lindsay, Maiden Name Unk
Wife’s Notes...
Notes:
Lawrence...bond date 3 May 1794
Reference Note 653
Marriage source, Broderbund Family Tree Maker's Family Archives CD 229, Marriage index KY,NC,TN, VA, WV., 1728 - 1850 @R1109718@...The marriage bond has her mother's signature as Elizabeth Gillock; not Jane. Her mother signed as by that time her father Laurence was dec'd. (This bond is the only proof of Jane Gillock's name of being either Elizabeth Jane or Jane Elizabeth. Her maiden name is still unknown...nlp)
And the Gillock book on line at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gillock/

I have his parents with a contact point for more info. I have her line back to...1687, Scotland
Please contact me..
Nelda
nelda_percival@hotmail.com

Re: HALL, Londonderry, Guernsey, Ohio and Quaker records

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 4:29PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2005 6:38PM GMT
Do you stillhave access to those Quaker records? My g-g-grandmother, Martha McCann died in Quaker City and is thought to be buried in the Friends Cemetery, but has no marker. I have been attempting to find some reference in Quaker records from the late 1800's.
thanks
Bonnie

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 2:38AM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2007 6:36AM GMT
Surnames: Herbert, Hall, McFarland, Wood, Hutchinson, Cullen
There were 2 brothers, William S. Herbert and John Herbert, both sons of John Herbert Sr., who came from Loudoun co VA to Guernsey Co OH in abt 1822/1823. Their father, John Sr. was likely born in New Jersey. William married Mary Elizabeth Wood in 1807 in Loudoun. His brother, John, married Lettice Hutchinson in abt 1810 in Loudoun. William & Mary lhad 9 children, some in VA, then some in Guernsey OH. William died in betwn 1826-1830. John had 3 daughters and 2 sons with Lettice, before Lettice died. John later married Susan Cullen, whose family came from Ireland. Some of William's children & his widow moved to Grundy Co MO abt 1846. John stayed in Guernsey. It is likely that these Herberts were descended from the 5 Herberts who came from New Jersey to Loudoun Co VA in the 1770's. These were Thomas & Josiah (brothers), Peter who was a distanr cousin, John (possibly Peter's brother) and William (not sure how related) Peter and Josiah belonged to the North Fork Baptist Church near Goose Creek. Peter's father was Paul Herbert b. 1715, a Quaker. Peter's son Peter Jr. & family later moved to Jefferson Co OH. Peter Sr.'s son Thomas had a daughter Mary, who married Amos Hall in either Loudon Co VA or Berkeley Co VA, but later moved to KY. Thomas had a son Wilson Herbert, a doctor, who married Rose Hall McFarland. Not sure if Hall was her maiden name or a middle name. Not sure whether married in VA or KY [Jefferson Co. or near there].
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions