Search for content in message boards

Porter Family

Porter Family

J. G. (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2001 3:33PM GMT
would like to find more about the Porters from New Brunswick Canada...

Re: Porter Family

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 5:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
What country did your Porters originate from?
There are at least 2 Porter families that are from the same area in NB, one I think is English, mine is Irish, and then there is the Porter Irish Settlement in Houlton Maine that may be related to one or both of those or neither. From what I have been able to gather, the Porter Settlement (which is Irish) is in no way related to my (Lakeville, Williamstown, Carleton County NB Porters). There is what I believe to be an English branch in that same area of NB.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 1:34AM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Hornbrook
Chiming in about my Porter line and looking for family links. My G-G-Grandfather, John Porter, born 1802 in the north of Ireland, in County Donegal I believe. He emigrated in 1820 at the age of 17 and married Ann Hornbrook in 1831 in New Brunswick. I'm sure of his port of entry, but he ended up in Victoria County in New Brunswick, probably in the now flooded River de Chutes area. Specifically, what I'm looking for is more information about his ancestors, my G-G-G-Grandfather William Alexander Porter.

Many thanks,
Paul

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 8:03PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Glad to have you on board, maybe we can sort out the different Porter families. There is the James and Steven Porter families, and I think there is a John D. Porter family, plus my own John Porter. I believe my John Porter actually arrived in 1831, so before the mass migration as well! At least we know they are two different John Porters, as mine married a girl from Ireland in New Brunswick. I am guessing mine came from Derry, or Londonderry up in County Tyrone. Some place called 6 Miles Cross, whatever that may mean. I would like to talk someday to an Irishman who could explain the venacular of the placenames there. I also guess my John came over on the Salus, as he is the only John Porter I have ever found that match the birth/arrival dates to my own. If my guess is right, he came over with 3 spinster sisters, one older than himself. I was wondering how at that particular time, could they have possibly afford to ship the family over, and what circumstances made them leave. I have heard of land owner sponsored emigration, but do not know when that started, then stopped to be replaced by ridding themselves of the poor wholesale shipments.
The only thing I have that remains of John Porter is the phrase, "Came over on a crowbar!" translated to they were packed in like lemmings and pitched over if they were sick or dying or dead. This makes me think his voyage was paid for than someone other than himself.

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: Porte
Well I can certainly confirm that my John Porter married Ann Hornbrook from Ireland in 1931. They got married in New Brunswick, so maybe there is a match there. However,I have my John Porter as arriving in 1829. I'm guessing the arrival is St John, NB. Currently, the only birth/residence information I have for John is Donegal, Ireland. Donegal and Tyrone are adjacent counties. I did a bunch of research regarding the passenger list for the "Salus" but wasn't able to find a John Porter between 1829 and 1831. Do you have that passenger list?

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 5:15PM GMT
You could not find him on the Salus because he is listed under Parker for some reason. If you look at the entry however, it is obivously PORTER. I think this is my John, because of all the John Porters I have ever found, this is the ONLY ONE that matches his tombstone date of birth! That includes the 250 American John Porters. So unless another one pops up somewhere, I am thinking this John is mine!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic