Search for content in message boards

seeking book: "Memories of John Marshall LANG, C.V.O., D.D., LL.D."

seeking book: "Memories of John Marshall LANG, C.V.O., D.D., LL.D."

Posted: 22 May 2013 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 May 2013 12:51PM GMT
I am looking for this book:
Memories of John Marshall Lang, C.V.O., D.D., LL.D.

when I searched online ist is only available in a library in scotland...any other suggestins on where I might find it?

Re: seeking book: "Memories of John Marshall LANG, C.V.O., D.D., LL.D."

Posted: 23 May 2013 3:46PM GMT
It says quite clearly that it was published for "private circulation" so it would only have been handed around to family members or friends. If there is one copy in a library you are probably lucky. Otherwise you will have to try and find a family member who, if they have it, would allow you to see it - but that could be in Scotland also!

Posted: 23 May 2013 4:39PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
http://www.worldcat.org/title/memories-of-john-marshall-lang...

http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/printable/34397

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Lang_%28father%29

Very Rev. John Marshall Lang was born on 14 May 1834.1 He married Hannah Agnes Leith, daughter of Reverend P. Hay Leith, in 1861.1 He died on 2 May 1909 at age 74.1
He graduated with a Doctor of Divinity (D.D.).1 He was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Law (LL.D.).1 He was Principal of Aberdeen University.1 He was invested as a Commander, Royal Victorian Order (C.V.O.).1 He had four other sons and a daughter.1
Child of Very Rev. John Marshall Lang

Very Rev. Marshall Buchanan Lang2 d. 3 Oct 1954

Child of Very Rev. John Marshall Lang and Hannah Agnes Leith

Cosmo Gordon Lang, 1st and last Baron Lang of Lambeth1 b. 31 Oct 1864, d. 5 Dec 1945

Citations

[S21] L. G. Pine, The New Extinct Peerage 1884-1971: Containing Extinct, Abeyant, Dormant and Suspended Peerages With Genealogies and Arms (London, U.K.: Heraldry Today, 1972), page 171. Hereinafter cited as The New Extinct Peerage.
[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003). Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.

Posted: 23 May 2013 8:29PM GMT
It still does not locate a copy of the book. "private circulation" means it was privately published, probably by a member of the family and would never have been on sale to the general public. Just occasionally such a publication does turn up on the market - I have such and it is just a best guess that someone who had had a copy (there were only ever 200) had died without issue and the book had been sent by whoever, executor?, to a genealogical bookshop. Which member of the "tribe" that was, or how it got into a bookshop at all is a complete mystery. I am not at all sure that a copy would even have been covered by copyright which meant it would have had to be deposited in one, or more, of the copyright libraries. I think the definition of copyright for that purpose meant it had to have been publicly published and available for sale - if it was for private circulation it could be that copyright deposit law did not apply.

Posted: 27 May 2013 1:56AM GMT
I did actually find it in a Scottish library catalog..and I do havefamily there ..but I was just being hopeful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions