Search for content in message boards

What township would Kelly's Station be in?

What township would Kelly's Station be in?

Posted: 6 May 2004 8:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just begun researching a branch of my family from Armstrong County. On the 1870 census, the family is listed in Apollo Borough, Armstrong County, PA. Post office is listed as "Kelly's Station".

Can anyone tell me what township that would be?

Thanks so much,
Robin

Re: What township would Kelly's Station be in?

Georgia Hilelman Halloran (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2004 11:07PM GMT
Believe this would be APOLLO twp. Georgia

Posted: 9 May 2004 3:12AM GMT
Robin,

Kelly's Station was in Allegheny Twp on the Allegheny River quite some distance from Apollo. (BTW, there is no Apollo Twp., but Apollo is adjacent to Kiskiminetas Twp.) The postoffice at Kelly's Station seviced most of southern Armstrong Co at one time.

About that time (1870) is when Allegheny Twp, which included most of SW Armstrong Co, was split into Gilpin Twp, Bethel Twp, and Parks Twp. Kelly's Station ended up in Bethel Twp.

Here is a link to an 1970 Armstrong County map.
http://www.pa-roots.com/~armstrong/maps/ArmstrongCo.jpg
Kelly's Station is shown on the Allegheny River. This map also indicates that Apollo was also a PO for that area in 1870.

Here is a link to a more modern map on the same website. Just click on the proper twp on the county map.
http://www.pa-roots.com/~armstrong/maps/index.html
BTW, the Allegheny Twp link does not seem to work anymore.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 11:00AM GMT
I ran into the same thing this evening.

From what I have been able to ascertain using a few sources (including a newspaper article from Indiana, PA and a website enumerating mines in PA), Kelly's Station was located in Conemaugh Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania.

As you may know, Conemaugh Township now lies within Indiana County, and Kelly's Station no longer exists, so I'm having a hard time tracking down it's exact location. My best guess was that it lay on the road (PA-286) between Saltsburg and Jacksonville, Indiana County, Pennsylvania. However, after seeing your message about it showing up on an Apollo census document as well, I'm wondering if it might not be north of there, on the east side of the Kiskiminetas River across from Avonmore along what is now PA-156 (which would put it really close to the Indiana County / Armstrong County line).

Hope this helps.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 3:17AM GMT
Kelly Station is on the Allegheny River in Bethel Twp (formerly Allegheny Twp), Armstrong Co. In the early 1800s this was the only post office for many miles. The town is basically gone now, but the village of Center Valley is on the Kelly Station road. Kelly Station was across the Allegheny River from Clinton.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions