Search for content in message boards

Huntington, WV-Adkins

Huntington, WV-Adkins

Posted: 21 Jul 2002 2:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Aug 2004 2:15AM GMT
Leanna,
Your Adkins family probably came from Wayne County, WV, which is an ajoining county (actually part of Huntington is in Wayne County). One of my ancestors was named Rueben Adkins. He was an early settler of Wayne County. I know some of Rueben's descendants went to Cabell County. There was also a Hezikiah Adkins who settled near Rueben. Most of his descendants moved to Lincoln County(also an ajoining county to Cabell and Wayne). If you think this might be your family, let me know.

Adkins of Wayne/Cabell Co.

Posted: 21 Jul 2002 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 17 Oct 2002 3:37PM GMT
Surnames: Adkins
This is what I know so far. Reuben was my grandfather. His father was named Alexander. Alexander was the son of Lemach. Im searching now for any info on Lemach's family, and any information on Virgie Ferguson's family, which was the wife of Reuben and my grandmother. Virgie's parents lived in Huntington. I know nothing more than that.

Re: Adkins of Wayne/Cabell Co.

Dan Cook (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2002 7:54PM GMT
Leanne,
According to the leading authority on the history of the Adkins family, Lemach Adkins was born 13 dec 1819 in Cabell County (later Wayne county) (West) Virginia. He was the son of William and Magdalene (Bowen) Adkins. He married Christina Adkins on 10 Aug 1843 in Wayne County. Christina was born 23 Mar 1833 in Cabell County and was the Daughter of Archibald and Polly (Adkins) Adkins. He was a successful farmer and business man, and was one of the most prominant citizens of Wayne County at that time. This source shows that Alexander was the eldest son of this family, born 24 Jan 1841 in Cabell County. For additional information, you should contact Ronnie Adkins, who published the Adkins family history "Adkins: Land of York to Beech Fork". The section on "Lemech" includes the names of all known children with Christina, and a photo, presumably of Lemach.

Re: Huntington, WV-Adkins

Posted: 23 Jul 2002 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Adkins
Im looking the descendents of Hezekiah Adkins. I have found two different ones. One showing parents Parker Adkins b.1720 d 1792 and Mary Polly Adkins. The other is showing Hezekiah's parents to be Littleberry Jr. Adkins and Delphia Adkins. The one I need would have had a son named William who married Magdalene Bowens Adkins, whos son is Lemach Adkins, who has a son named Alexander Adkins, who has a son named Reuben Alexander Adkins, who has two sons named Bobbie Lee (my father) and Donald Ray( Craig's father)

Kathy (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2002 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: alexander adkins, wv.
Hello.
i was reading your message. i have been having a hard time finding any family memebers on my dad,s side of the family, they are from fayette county wv. my grandfather was alexander adkins. from laural creek, he worked in the coal mines,. my dad was charles adkins. my grandfather was married once to a lawhorn. then to minnie scruggs. ,he was born 1872. died 1946..
do any of these names ring a bell. another ? where can i inquire about the adkins book, wrote by Ronnie Adkins ?.
Can you help.
thanks kathy

Posted: 31 Aug 2002 11:44AM GMT
Surnames: adkins
Sorry, those names are not familiar to me. My Alexander is as follows:

Born: 1869 in KY
Death: 1937 Huntington WV
Spouse: Laura France
Children:
*Reuben Alexander
*Harvey (Pete)
*Eleanor
*Billy
*Sarah
*Ida
*Clara
Father: Reuben Adkins
Mother: Sarah Ferguson

The price of the book is $63.00 including postage. You may send check or money order to Ronnie Adkins at:
3540 South Georgetown Drive
Montgomery, Al. 36109-2232

Posted: 7 Sep 2003 10:21PM GMT
Surnames: Ollie Adkins and Lee Adkins
My Adkins family is from Wayne Co. And Huntington Wva. Father was Ollie Miles Adkins April 15th. 1893-June 1975. His father was "Hound"Lee Adkins .This is all I Know, if you have any info on this part of my family I would greatly appreciate it, thanks,Barbara Adkins

Posted: 17 Jan 2005 3:30AM GMT
look in:
ADKINS LAND OF YORK TO BEECH FORK

WRITTEN BY RONNIE ADKINS

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 7:01PM GMT
My God! This family sounds soooo familiar! I am still stuck on my great grandmother/grandfather on the Adkins line. Was Magdaline Indian by any chance? My great grand parents were James and Adeline Adkins born around the 1850's. All I know is they had at least 3 daughters Maggie b1892, Susie Mae b1898, and Wonnie b1900. In the 1910 census Adeline is a widow living with the 3 daughters in Wayne Co., KY. Can you help, maybe?

JG (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2006 8:01PM GMT
There are several others working on this line according to Rootsweb
Worldconnect. See at:
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

Go to the advanced search and type in James Adkins (no "C") and then in the
spouse box, just type in Gibson. There are 5 or 6 people with this family
in their database. Looks like James' father was Peter.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic