Search for content in message boards

searching for any family of ALBIN NEMECEK

searching for any family of ALBIN NEMECEK

Posted: 22 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Feb 2003 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: NEMECEK, KOLAR
Thanks to each of you for helping Ernestine (KOLAR) find info. about her deceased mother(MARIE KOLAR-died 9.2.1933) in Wien: Looking for any decendents of Albin NEMECEK, born 10.2.1896 in Bochtitz, Mahran. Died 28.5.1939 Married to Johanna Nemecek; child, HERTA, born 1915. Appreciate your help. Also, where is BOCHTITZ, MAHREN? MY NEW EMAIL IS: catblu@altavista.com and darclem@juno.com (MY OLD EMAIL WAS Clemonsbrowneyes@cs.com) Thanxs for all your help. darlene clemons catblu@altavista.com

Mähren/Moravia

Fritz Königshofer (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
The land you refer to is Mähren (in German) and Moravia in Latin and English, the eastern region of the Czech Republik. I do not know how Bochtitz is called with its official Czech name, but if you don't find it out through other means or help, contact me and we'll locate it.

Have you tried the Shtetlseeker web site, or the films with the names of the Austro-Hungarian post offices, or the village names of Moravia, as available at LDS?
Posted: 25 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2002 11:04AM GMT
Bochtitz is now called Bohutice (the general Austrian Gazetteer for the 1910-census gives already both versions; then it had 697 inhabitants). You can find it between Brno and Znojmo - also in the Microsoft Encarta World Atlas on cd-rom (at least in my European edition, but it should also appear in the original US-version, I think).

As for Nemecek: you should also consider the very frequent spelling Nemetschek (germanized, of course), sometimes also Nemeczek. There even was a Charles Nemetschek, born in 1853, who came to Upper Austria directly from the USA (Lincoln, Washington) in 1902. Of course all the other people with that surname came from different districts of Moravia and Bohemia. (By the way, Nemec in Czech means a German speaking person, nemecky: something german).

Re: Bochtitz

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 7:04AM GMT
Yes, Nemec means German in Czech; Nemecek is the diminutive -- 'little German'
Brno and Znojmo are in the Moravian area of Czechia -- South near Austria border.
Also check out these sites: www.czechfamilytree.com/regarchives and http://mesta.obce.cz
Clicking on the Mesta.obce logo brings up lists for counties, cities and towns of the region which are searchable. There are homepages for each local government giving contact information, history,statistics, tourist information, photos and useful links. In Czech - you'll have to use a translator if you're not fluent in Czech.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions