Search for content in message boards

USA prior to 1776

USA prior to 1776

Posted: 12 Mar 2005 5:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Mar 2005 5:45AM GMT
I like to be accurate in recording information for my family tree. Does anyone know what the official name for the 13 colonies was prior to 1776? I don't feel like I should record it as "USA" since we weren't officially established as a country yet.

Re: USA prior to 1776

Posted: 30 Mar 2005 8:23PM GMT
"Plymoth Colony (Now Massachusetts, USA)"
or
"Niew Amsterdam (Now New York, USA)"
ought to be clear enough. (I've forgotten how the Dutch spelled "New",but it had more vowels thanthe English.) The King appointed a Governor-general of the Colonies, who settled disputes between them, but I don't think they called it a country.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 3:43PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2012 11:43AM GMT
I do not know why geneologist, including professionals maintain this convention. Folkes! The United States, as such, are not even a dream much prior to 1776. This is why you have a Continental Congress prior to the Constitution. The exact date at which the former British Colonies of America become the United States of America is even in debate. Some, probably the majority, date it to the Declaration of Independence, others contend the adoption by Congress of the Constitution, others not until it is ratified by the states in 1789. I am sorry, my ancestors came to a specific colony in America. I simply use the colony name, i.e., Massachusetts Colony, Georgia Colony, until dates posted after Jul 1776. Just makes sense.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 12:37AM GMT
At first the french ( 1554 +/- ) toke the land from James Bay north down to Louisiana south and everyting east of the Missipi . Then in 1763 Montcalm lost the battle to Wolfe in Québec city . All the french land became english land and from there the land started being broken to bits and pieces.

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 7:16PM GMT
Yes, as an historian, they were referred to as the "American Colonies" by the British, who owned them. It is simply ridiculous to call them the United States of America prior to the winning of the Revolutionary War and then the adoption of the Constitution.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 2:24PM GMT

Prior to Revolution it was ______ Colony

Confederate States of America (under the Articles of Confederation)after revolution until 1789

United States of America (Under the Constitution)1789

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 2:55PM GMT
Good question and sorry I don't know the answer but maybe there is no answer. I refer to all the provinces, and there were actually 15, as the Colonies as that is how the British referred to them. Each individual province was the important designation. When I record a birth of an ancestor prior to 1776, I only insert town, county and province and 1776 and later I insert town, County, State, USA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions