Search for content in message boards

Christopher Johnston and Catherine Grumble

Christopher Johnston and Catherine Grumble

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 6:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi everyone,

I'm researching my husband's family and have hit a brickwall with Christopher. In the 1851 census he was listed as entering NB in 1833 and from a Scotish descent. I have checked some immgration records and found nothing, yet. I would welcome any leads. Thanks.

Angie

Re: Christopher Johnston and Catherine Grumble

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 12:37AM GMT
The best that I can give is a guess that Christopher was a Johnstone from Dumfriesshire, Scotland. There were several Christopher's baptized in that area about 1814-1816.

Thomas

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 6:53AM GMT
I'm a decendant of these two as well. I'd love to find any information leading across the ocean to Scotland.

The well of information dries up from 1833 and prior.

Thanks.
Joe.

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 9:09PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2012 11:24PM GMT
Perhaps if you gave what information you did have someone might recognize something. It is useless to track down something you already have.

I found a bit as below.

Thomas

CHRISTOPHER JOHNSTON b. Scotland ca. 1815, m. CATHERINE GRUMBLE (GAMBLIN?) (b. York Co., NB ca. 1810-1; m. 1st James Morrell), d/o George and Margaret (Myrshall) Grumble.
In Andover Parish, Victoria Co., NB in 1851 as:

Johnston Christopher M Head 36 Scotch 1833
Johnston Catherine F Wife 40 Native birth
Johnston Alexander M Son 4 Native birth
Johnston Charles A M Son 21 mos Native birth
Morrell John M Step son 19 Native birth
Morrell Margaret F Step daughter 17 Native birth
Morrell Elizabeth F Step daughter 15 Native birth
Morrell James N M Step son 11 Native birth
Morrell George Wm M Step son 6 Native birth
Morrell Catherine F Step daughter 10 Native birth
Morrell Ellia F Step daughter 8 Native birth

By 1871, 'Cathren Jonston' was in Grand Falls Parish, Victoria Co., NB age 61 years, a widow. Her children were 'Alick' (24) 'AndreW' (21), 'Willem' (18) and 'Cathren' (30) (?). Also with them was 'Willem' Morrell age 7. Nearby lived James (ca. 1838) and 'Hanner' (Hannah Dee, b. ca. 1836) Morrel, Catherine's son and daughter-in-law. 'Cathren Jonston' b. ca. 1841 was likely Catherine Morrell b. ca. 1841 in 1851. George Wm. Morrell is very likely he b. Morrell Siding, NB 21APR1845, d. Morrell Siding, Grand Falls Parish 4JUN1928, s/o James Morrell. His mother was not named in his death registration. Elizabeth Morrell is likely the same who m. George Baker (b. 14JUN1830). The death registration of her son, Adam Frederick Baker, confirms her maiden name.
Possibly Alexander was the Alexander Jonston (ca. 1846) in Grand Falls, Victoria Co., NB in 1881 with a wife, Mary (ca. 1850), and children, Henry C. (8), Charlles (6) and Edward (3). Alexander Johnston (ca. 1847) was in Grand Falls, Victoria Co., NB in 1891.
Children:
1. ALEXANDER JOHNSTON b. Morrell Siding, Grand Falls Parish, Victoria Co., NB 11MAR1848, d. Morrell Siding, Grand Falls Parish, Victoria Co., NB 16SEP1901, m. MARY POLLY McQUADE.
2. CHARLES ANDREW (ANDREW C.) CLARKE JOHNSTON b. Morrell Siding (Costigan), Grand Falls Parish, Victoria Co., NB 2NOV1849, d. Cliffordvale, Grand Falls Parish, Victoria Co., NB 21DEC1930, m. SARAH JANE BOWMASTER.
3. WILLIAM GUTHRIE JOHNSTON b. Morrell Siding, Grand Falls Parish, Victoria Co., NB ca. 1853-4.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic