Search for content in message boards

Wives of Leonard Capehart of Pickens, SC

Wives of Leonard Capehart of Pickens, SC

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Capehart, Reeves
This is an open query to anyone who might have information or even a theory about the wives of Leonard Capehart of Pickens District, SC. I am descended from John Capehart, who is usually listed as being a son of Leonard. John went to Wilson County, TN, for some unknown reason, and there married Mary Reeves. They then moved back to South Carolina where all of their children were born. John died in the 1840's, leaving Mary to raise the children alone, which she did. She returned to the Lebanon Missouri area though. Her eldest daughter was Kizziah. Now, this is my question...Was Leonard actually married to a Kizziah "something-or-other", or is that just a myth perpetuated by descendants..and where did this come from originally? Bible records? An actual paper trail? I know many also list Sarah Carradine as a spouse, but then attach Leonard's earlier children to her. To add my own twist to this story/myth, a cousin of mine said she had always grown up hearing that Kizziah was wealthy and never had to put on her own shoes, that there were slaves to do that for her. Well, John and Mary's daughter Kizziah grew up very poor, and definitely without slaves. Does this add credence to the theory that perhaps the story was about Leonard's wife Kizziah? I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this...

Re: Wives of Leonard Capehart of Pickens, SC

Posted: 4 Nov 2011 9:01PM GMT
Reference Leonard Capehart b. abt. 1766, MD ; d. 30 Aug 1862, SC.

I hope this is still an active address, I saw several postings from the past discussing persons in my linage: Maj. James Rogers & Ann Camp => James (II) Rogers & Nancy L Capehart, daughter of Leonard Capehart. Some show that Leonard's second wife, Sarah Carodine (1801-1871) to be the mother of his earlier children but I only show that "Elizabeth Eveline" was their only child. The others were born between (1793-1810).

I have spent many hours trying to discover the name and linage of Leonard's first wife ( Kizziah ?) lnu possibly (Gibons ?). Some early records refer to "Mary Smith, daughter of Ludwick Smith" but the name "Leonard Gabert" is used not Capehart.

Posted: 9 Nov 2011 6:49PM GMT
Very interesting! Thank you for your input. I wonder if we would find anything if we were to visit South Carolina and dig deep in their old, old original records.

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 4:19PM GMT
Leonard Capehart second wife was Sarah Caradine and they only had one daughter eviline Elizabeth Capehart and she
married Waddy T. Hester, I am not sure what happen to Waddy
he could have possibly died in the Civil War.
Eveline Elizabeth and her mother moved to Chickasaw County,
Mississippi with members of the Caradine Family.
Eveline Elizabeth later remarried but she never had any children from either marriage. She was entitled to her
first husband share of his fathers estate this was the
area known as Jocassee in Oconee County, South Carolina.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions