Search for content in message boards

William Henry Galpin, born est 1894.

William Henry Galpin, born est 1894.

Posted: 17 Feb 2010 12:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Galpin, Foot
I'm looking for any information anyone has regarding a William Henry Galpin, born in Cowgrove, nr Wimborne, Dorset, in about 1894. His parents were William Galpin, a shepherder, and Mary Foot. William was their youngest child. He served in the 5th Battalion of the Dorset Regiment in World War One, and was awarded the Croix de Guerre. He died about two months before the war ended in France, when while he was assisting local villagers in the harvest a bomb was dropped onto him. He is buried in Mazingarbe Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France.

The questions I am searching answers for are as follows:
1. Does anyone know where I could search to discover why he was awarded the Croix de Guerre? Or does anyone even know why he was, already?
2. Is anybody else researching the same person? E.g. family members, etc. I would like to get in contact, this side of the family seems to have lost touch with mine a long time ago.
and 3. Is there anywhere I might be able to search to find a photograph of William? I have tried searching Ancestry public photos, and have discovered one of him as a child with his family, but not as an adult.

Thanks very much in advance,
Helen Hardy

Re: William Henry Galpin, born est 1894.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 1:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Galpin
Helen,
I can not help you much unless you are looking for William's ancestors.

William's brother John was my Great-Grandfather. I've not done much research but I can go back to William Galpin who was born about 1630 but that's about it.

Let me know if you want any details.

Kind Regards,

Richard Galpin
Cambridgeshire but originally from Wimborne Dorset.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic