Search for content in message boards

Joseph Horan

Joseph Horan

Posted: 7 Oct 2001 6:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for information on my great-grandfather, Joseph Horan. What little information I have is that he immigrated from Ireland in the mid to late 1800's, with two brothers, Patrick and Thomas. There may have been another brother, William, but of that I'm not sure. The story I have is that Joseph lost touch with his family when he married a non-Catholic. He had at least one son, Arthur, and I believe a daughter, Stella. Arthur was born in Nebraska.

Re: Joseph Horan

Carol Pike (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2001 9:19PM GMT
Surnames: Horan
Alway interest in any Horans that left Ireland mid 1800's. My g grandfather emigrated to New Zealand his name was John. Another family of Horans arrived a year earlier and the head of that family was also John. The little information I have is that County Tipperary is the area they came from. Do you have any regarding your family. Carol Pike

Posted: 7 Oct 2001 10:38PM GMT
Sorry, I don't have any additional information.

Posted: 9 Oct 2001 1:12AM GMT
Carol, About the only thing I do know now is that my Horan's
came to the U.S. and the names of the three brothers. I
don't know where in Ireland they came from.

Posted: 6 Nov 2001 2:15AM GMT
What little information I have says that my great-grandfather Joseph immigrated to the United States in the mid-1800's with two brothers, Patrick and Michael, or Patrick and Thomas. As you can see, I have a lot of work to do. Thanks for responding.

Posted: 6 Nov 2001 3:15AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2002 2:59AM GMT
Surnames: HORAN
Thomas Horan:
are you connected to HORAN family of Ohio, Chicago
or Kansas???
Susann
gavinwandrey@earthlink.net

Tom Horan (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2001 1:56AM GMT
Kansa is a definite possibility, but I just don't know for sure. My father and his sisters (his two brothers are dead), evidently knew almost nothing about their fathers family, and have forgotten some of what they did know. They don't know their grandmother's name. However, their father, Arthur M. Horan was a preacher in the American Baptist Convention. He was born in Omaha, Nebraska, and they lived, over the years, in Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, and, I think, Oklahoma. I have two different stories. One is that Joseph, as a boy, emigrated to the U.S. from Ireland with his two brothers, Michael and Patrick. Another story has the two brothers named Thomas and Patrick. Joseph married a non-Catholic and was disowned. Does this sound familiar?

Carol Pike (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2001 2:14AM GMT
John Horan came as a assisted passenger to Port Chalmers, New Zealand in 1875. The only place that was listed was Tipperary. What part of Ireland are your relations from.?

Carol Pike (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2001 2:27AM GMT
That was quick. I haven't finished opening my emails when your reply came. Keep me in mind as a lot of families left Ireland because of the potato famine and poor conditions. Where they were lucky to get assisted passages might have made the differance to where they went.

Tom Horan (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2001 2:40AM GMT
I'm not sure what part of Ireland they came from. One aunt thinks Galway. I've checked as many ship passenger lists as I can find, but so far I haven't found a ship that had all three names.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic