Search for content in message boards

Nevin family from Long Island City, Queens, NY

Nevin family from Long Island City, Queens, NY

Posted: 29 Jun 2008 11:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nevin
I am researching my mother's Grandfather, Robert Nevin. I have his name as Robert Harris Nevin (1918 draft registration for son Robert James), and as Robert Harrison Nevin Jr. (as witness on naturalization papers for a John Herbst). I have found the family on the 1900 census (wife:Frances R; children:William, Frances, Robert), but cannot locate any Robert Nevin prior to 1900. In the census it says he was born in New York, father born in New York, and I can't make out where his mother was born - looks like Ireland to me, but I can't be sure. According to my Aunt, he was Irish-Protestant, so it seems likely to be Ireland. I'm at a roadblock now, as I have no information on wife, parents or siblings. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can proceed? Anyone out there with roots in Long Island City in the 1800 - early 1900's?
Thanks
Diane Yanosik

Re: Nevin family from Long Island City, Queens, NY

Posted: 1 Jul 2008 2:35AM GMT
Surnames: Nevin
Diane,
My Nevins weren't from Queens, but nearby Jersey City, NJ. Patrick and Rose Nevin came to America from Ireland before 1880 and in 1880 were living in Summit, NJ. Sometime after that most of their children were found in Jersey City and one, John Joseph Nevin was a judge of the criminal courts in Jersey City. From him would later descend John Nevin, the late former CEO of Firestone and Zenith. Who knows, maybe somewhere in there there's a connection. The surname Nevin doesn't seem to be tremendously common (only about 196 individuals in the 1900 census of NY and 53 in NJ!)

Joe

Re Nevin family from Long Island City, Queens, NY UPDATE

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: Nevin, Monds, Harrison
I have obtained death certificates and gotten quite a bit more information. Robert H. Nevin Sr.'s parents were Thomas and Dorcas Nevin, both born in Ireland. I can't find record of Thomas' death, but Dorcas died in Jersey City, NJ in 1876. Robert had a brother Matthias, who was a bookbinder, and Dorcas was residing with him after Thomas' death. They are found in Vermont by 1870, then Jersey City in 1880. Robert married a Margaret Monds, born in Ireland. Margaret's father was James Monds, and I suspect her mother was Rebecca Harrison. I have found them living 2 doors from Robert and Margaret in the 1860 census. Robert and Margaret had a total of 7 children, Rebecca, Thomas H., James W., Robert H., Anna, Emma and Margaret.
If any of these names looks familiar, please feel free to contact me. Robert stayed in NY, and Matthias was in Connecticut, Vermont, New Jersey, and died in Washington D.C.
Diane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic