Search for content in message boards

African Americans in the Indian Wars

African Americans in the Indian Wars

Posted: 2 Sep 2009 6:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Randolph, Johnson, Mason, Williams, Hebron, Dorsey, Bray, Pendleton, Kelley
I'm having a difficult time identifying a tintype photographic image of a man known as "Uncle George" by family members. He is said to be "Indian Scout" or "Indian Fighter". We know not where the photo was taken, when, nor by whom. No identifying marks or information appear on the photo. He could be a relative of the RANDOLPH family (Millwood, Clarke County VA) or of the HEBRON family (Laurel, Howard County, MD.) He is seated on a horse-drawn wagon, dressed in baggy trousers, and a dark long sleeve coat. He is complete with top hat (Abe Lincoln style) that has a large feather protruding from the outside hatband. Would anyone have possible leads on how/where information might be obtained on AA in the Indian Wars. So far my research efforts have borne no fruit.

Re: African Americans in the Indian Wars

Posted: 16 May 2010 8:06PM GMT
I might be able to point you in a direction. I am currently working on the 9th and 10th Cavalry(Buffalo Soldiers) Post Returns. I believe he was a scout by the dress. A little more info would help. You can e-mail me. Let me know, Don

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 1:50AM GMT
Thanks for your response. I just retrieved documents from storage, after several years of research inactivity, and hopefully will be able to locate additional information. I hope to make contact again very soon. Thanks once again.

Posted: 10 Aug 2011 3:59AM GMT
This is in response to Scrapma1. I also do research re: buffalo soldiers especially from 1867-1872. My gg grandfather Columbus Grier of 1st cal company D, of Fort Stockton tx. He was a 1st sgnt. under F.S.Dodge. I have some info re: but still looking for some concrete detail. Would like to hear what info you have incured.

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Fortune
I recently discovered my gfather was in troop h, 10th cavalry. I have been trying to find out how he got from PA/VA to Butte, MT. His name is Charles Fortune, he enlisted 15 Nov 1887 dischrgd 14 Feb 1891 SO#7 Dept of Ariz at Ft. Apache. I have been trying to find more detailed record sources other than the 1887 register of enlistment, but have been unable to find anything other than his company went to Dept of Dakotas @ 1891. Can you help a sistah out? (smile)

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 4:54AM GMT
I hope this help you in your search. Using Returns from Regular Army Regiments, I was unable to find when your gfather came into the 10tn, but found his name in the losses (Discharge) section dated Feb 1891. His Company was stationed Fort Apache; AT during his enlistment. The 10th didn't move Montana until April 1892. When your gfather traveled to fort is was probably by train. As for further research, I would request his service record from the National Archives.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/pr...

As a Keyer for the Buffalo Soldier, I have learned so about these brave men and that that are the truly America unsung heroes.

Let me know if I can help you further, Don

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 6:11AM GMT
Thank you...I will request the records from the national archives...I had forgotten about that avenue...I have used them before in getting Civil War records on my ggf, who also ended up in MT. He survived the Poison Springs, AR disaster...Once again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions