Search for content in message boards

Carolus Emmons Arms

Carolus Emmons Arms

Tina Dunn (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Emmons
I am searching for information re: an achievement of arms attributed to Sir Carolus Emmons (sometimes called Major General Carolus Emmons). The arms were described by the following phrase; "He beareth Gules, five increscents Argent by the name Emmons" (does not seem to be a proper blazon)and an inscription "These Arms were granted by King William and Queen Mary to Carolus Emmons in consequence of two victorious battles in the field of blood."

I have seen several versions of these arms none of which match the blazon. Some with and some without a helm and crest.

I am not looking to have a rendering made at this time, only for a "look up" in your sources for a proper blazon if such exists.
Any assistance is appreciated,
Thank you,
Tina

Carolus Emmons Arms [2]

tina dunn (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi Steven,

My source for this is a drawing made by Rev. Zenas Leonard, the father-in-law of Rev. Francis Whitfield Emmons, drawn about 1850.

In 1849, the Emmons family decided to "do something" about several notices they had recieved stating that there was an "Emmons Estate" in England and there was an English solicitor searching for "the American Heirs". The family clan held a genalogical convention in CT. to determine who would be considered an "heir" and to choose an Agent to go to England on behalf of the family and research said estate. The family also elected a standing committee to manage these affairs and audit the accounts of expense paid for the trip. The Emmons clan was very cautious of jumping to conclusions, but also held some hope of finding something in England since their cousins the Leonards had indeed proven to be related to the Barons Dacre of Herstmonceux.

Rev. Francis W. Emmons (my X3 great grandfather)was chosen as the agent and sent to England. Rev. Emmons did not find an "estate", but did return with information re: a Sir Carolus Emmons who was said to have led men in battle for King William and Queen Mary.

He also came back with a description and crude sketch of an Achievement of Arms that he had found which he described as follows:

"...with a pensill, and on the back of my card made a memorandum which I will copy for you. The center of the picture contains five half moons, a spear between them, the barrels of two cannons project out each side, over them hangs four colors on spears, over them and midst them projects an arm and hand holds a dagger and under it is this inscription: He beareth Gules, five incresants Argent by the name of EMMONS, on the back side of the picture frame is written "these arms were granted by King William and Queen Mary to Carolus Emmons in consequence of five victorious battles in the field of blood." Now for my memorandum. Carolus Emmons led the united forces of William and Mary as a Major General of Militia against James II the Usurper and by his victories secured to them the Crown of England for which he was Knighted and granted these arms. These arms now in possession of the English in their archives for deposit have been examined and said to compare with his patron even to ribbons and string..."

Upon returning from the trip to England, Rev. Emmons had Rev. Leonard make a drawing from his description and memory. This drawing is of a red shield with 5 silver crescents. All of the mentioned spears, flags, cannons etc are drawn as a background to the shield and not as charges upon it. This particular drawing displays a gentleman's helm with a wreath and the crest (arm with dagger) issuing from it. I must assume that Rev. Emmons approved the drawing as a reasonable reproduction as he was known to be an extremely meticulous man.

I have since seen several other versions of these arms some which show a spear between the two rows of crescents (the crescents facing the wrong way) as a charge, and some which do not display the helm and crest. Some show the crest but no helm. All of them show a red shield, but several show the cresents as gold or bronze in color.

I have been given the job of trying to determine for the family which version if any of them is "correct".

Any help or direction you can provide is most appreciated :-)
Many thanks,
Tina

re: Emmons Arms

Posted: 6 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2001 9:27PM GMT
Tina writes, "I am searching for information re: an achievement of arms attributed to Sir Carolus Emmons (sometimes called Major General Carolus Emmons). The arms were described by the following phrase; 'He beareth Gules, five increscents Argent by the name Emmons' (does not seem to be a proper blazon)and an inscription 'These Arms were granted by King William and Queen Mary to Carolus Emmons in consequence of two victorious battles in the field of blood.' I have seen several versions of these arms none of which match the blazon. Some with and some without a helm and crest...."

Tina, what is your source for this? I can't find Emmons in Burke's "General Armory". Also, ... it is not unusual for a shield (arms) to lack a crest (which sits atop the helm). Not everyone is granted a crest with their arms.

Emmons Arms

Posted: 7 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2001 9:27PM GMT
Tina,

The only way you're going to know for sure, because this coat of arms obviously isn't in any of the standard reference works, is to contact the College of arms in London and pay them about 60 pounds sterling an hour to do some research for you. (I went through this process myself and was happy with the results, though I couldn't afford a complete genealogical trace. I only had enough to confirm the existence of a Maydwell coat of arms. That was before I learned about the various books of Visitations).

Now, ... that's a lot of money to shell out just to confirm a coat of arms that only the armiger's direct descendants are going to be able to bear and even here cadency marks are going to come into play, etc., so a new registration will have to be made anyway and you're talking big bucks for an honorary grant from the College of Arms in London.

Nevertheless, ... from a purely genealogical point of view it would be interesting to find out. I wish we could be of more help. Keep us posted. I'll be glad to emblazon this coat of arms for you. Let me know. The link to the College of Arms website is on our Helpful Links page. Be well....

Peace,

Steven

Emmons arms {3}

Tina Dunn (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your suggestions and assistance. Based on the description we have of the of the Arms, what would be your interpretation of the blazon? I am inclined to think that the "half moon shapes" should indeed have the cavity facing the dexter side: Increscants as the description says, not crescents, and that the spear was part of the decorations surrounding the shield rather than a charge on the shield. However, I am by no means an expert in this field and may be making a big assumption based on what I read in an heraldic dictionary. What do think? Also, what do you make of the crest? Should it be included in the achievement since it does not appear in the blazon?

I would be very happy to have a rendering done of these arms if you have the time.
Your help is greatly appreciated, :-)
Tina

Re: Emmons arms {3}

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 4:57PM GMT
I realize this posting is quite old, but did you ever get a copy of this coat of arms? I am trying to track down Carolus Emmons, where he originated from in England.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions