Search for content in message boards

Marcewicz, from Poland

Marcewicz, from Poland

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Apr 2009 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Marcewicz, Kedserski
I have been looking for my father in law for years...and can only find hints in 1930 Michigan Census. I have tried different spellings without success. His first name is Bartholemew (English), often called Bart. He arrived about 1910, not sure which port. His marrital status is unknown, altho he did marry Antionette Kedserski (spelling?) and had four children, all who only know their last name as spelled above. This name is making me nuts...I need suggestions...

Re: Marcewicz, from Poland

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 9:48PM GMT
This was posted by me to you on 14 of April.
Distribution of surname in Poland:
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/marcewicz.html
Surname endings:
http://www.polishroots.org/surnames/surnames/surname_endings...
http://maxpages.com/poland
www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/index.html
www.surnamenavigator.org
http://genforum.com
A first name site: www.skarbczyk.com
What does 1930 census say? Does it say Na-naturalized, Al-alien or Pa-first paper? If not naturalized and lived pass 1940 than an Alien Registration Form to locate. He would have to fill out a draft registration form.
No KEDSERSKI in Poland but maybe Kedzierski or Kendzierski. To hear pronounciation http://say.expressivo.com

Posted: 16 Apr 2009 7:26PM GMT
Surnames: Marcewicz, Warcziwich, Imbrowicz, Imbirowicz, Kendzierska
Hi,

Any chance this is your Bartholomew Marcewicz in the 1920 US census? [Names are spelled exactly as they appear on the census record.]

Hamtramck, Wayne Co, Michigan
ED 752, sheet 5A, lines 21-23

Warcziwich, Bartlomia - head, 50 y/o, married, immigrated 1913, filed "first papers" for natualization, born in Poland, parents born in Poland
----------, Antoinette - wife, 28 y/o, married, immigrated 1913, filed "first papers" for naturalization, born in Poland, parents born in Poland
----------, Stanislava - daughter, 4 6/12 y/o, born in Michigan

Ancestry.com has _Index Cards to Naturalization Petitions for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Southern Division, Detroit, 1907-1995_ in their databases, and there's an index card for a Bartlomiej Marcewicz:

Name: Bartlomiej Marcewicz
Birth Date: 21 Aug 1869
State: Michigan
Locality, Court: Detroit, District Court
filed: 5-23-18

Possibly your Bartholomew? Bartłomiej is the Polish equivalent of Bartholomew, and the age is right. I'd recommend you obtain a copy of this naturalization petition, because if it's your Bart, you'll find lots of info about him, including his exact date/place of birth and marriage and when/where he enter the USA. His wife's place of birth and when/where she entered the USA should also be included, and if he had minor children at the time, their names/ages may be included as well.

If your Bartholomew is the same one in the 1930 US census who is the father-in-law of "Micheal Imbirowicz," then you can search the online marriage records for Michigan at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=allC... and find a marriage record for Michael Imbrowicz, 22 y/o, to Mary Marcewicz, 18 y/o, parents Bartholomew and Frances. According to this record, Mary was born in Russia. They were married 27 July 1914 in Hamtramck, Michigan, by Jos Przybylski, pastor. Witnesses were Marcelli Borkowski and Bronislas Imbowicz.

Also, you can find a death record for Genevieve Marcewicz and Heromin Marcewicz at http://haldigitalcollections.cdmhost.com/seeking_michigan/se...

Genevieve and Heromin were the children of Bartholomew/Bartlomiei Marcewicz and Antonina Kendzierska. Genevieve was born 7 May 1915 in Hamtramck and died 8 August 1915, and Heromin was born 20 Jul 1913 and died 20 August 1913. Both are buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery.

Since you have Antoinette's (Antonina, in Polish) surname spelled Kedserski and the death records for the children spell the surname Kendzierska, the surname could be spelled in Polish Kędzierska (Kędzierski for a male). The Polish letter ę would be pronounced like the French word "un" - with a nasal N sound. When you get into Polish records, you may very well see it spelled with or without the N.

I hope you find some of this info useful!

-MJ

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 1:56AM GMT
Wow, what a lot of info...not sure about the infants that died, tho a strong probability they are related to my family. Bart is definetly correct as I have now received the Naturalization papers. He entered the USA via Philadelphia in 1913, and those records are apparently not avail yet, but will keep checking.. likewise the MI records for deaths only goes to 1920 and Bart and Antionnia both passed in the mid 1930's and I haven't found their death certificates. Any other suggestions without paying a big price for it??

Re: Marcewicz - passenger record

Posted: 26 Jul 2009 6:07PM GMT
Surnames: Marcewicz, Marczewitz, Marciewicz, Lupersow, Imbirowicz
Hi,

Glad some of the info was helpful. I have access to Philadelphia port arrivals (via Ancestry subsciption), so I took a look to see if I could find Bartholomew. I found this:

SS Graf Waldersee
sailed from Hamburg, Germany on 6 Jun 1912
arrived in Philadelphia on 20 June 1912

Marczewitz, Bartolomeus - age 42, male, married, farmer, can read/write, nationality: Russia, race: Polish, last residence: Borzechow, Russia; nearest relative left behind: brother Pawel Marczewitz in Borzechow, going to friend Jan Lupersow in Detroit, Michigan (621 Piquette Str.); born in Borzechow, Russia
----------, Antonina (wife) - age 21, female, married, wife, cannot read/write, rest of info the same as for Bartolomeus
----------, Maria (dau by previous marriage) - age 16, female, single, f[arm] hand, cannot read/write, rest of info the same as for Bartolomeus and Antonina

According to the manifest, Bartolomeus was 5'6" and had a fair complexion, d. brown hair, and grey eyes. Antonina was 5'5" and had a fair complexion, blond hair and grey eyes. Maria was 5'2" and had a fair complexion, blond hair, and grey eyes.

There are naturalization notation on the manifest for Antonina: 4289/569 JUN 4 1929 (document number and date filed). Listed above them there was a couple who were also from Borzuchow and going to Detroit - Antoni and Rozalia Lupersow? - but these folks didn't sail with the ship. Their names are crossed off. Jan Lupersow was listed as their brother.

The Hamburg departure manifest also states they were from Borzechów.

So, from this you know that Bart was married and had at least one child (Maria) before he married Antonina. Not surprising, considering the age difference between Bart and Antonina. They were from Borzechow, Russia (the Russian-controlled part of Poland). According to a Polish geographical dictionary published in the late 1800s, there was one village called Borzechów. It was in powiat lubelski (Lublin county), gmina Niedrzwica (Niedrzwica district/township), and the R.C. church that served this community was in Ratoszyn. In 1827 there were 29 houses and 244 people living there. This tells us that Borzechów was near Niedrzwica and within commuting distance (by foot or wagon) of Ratoszyn. Looking at an online map of today's Poland (http://mapa.szukacz.pl/), there are two neighboring villages, Borzechów and Borzechów-Kolonia, in woj. lubelskie (Lublin province), powiat lubelski (Lublin county), gmina Borzechów (Borzechów district). These villages are near Niedrzwica-Kościelna and Niedrzwica-Duża. To the west of these places is a Ratoszyn-Drugi and a Ratoszyn-Pierwszy (drugi=second and pierwszy=first).

The LDS have microfilmed records from the Ratoszyn parish for the years 1811-1914, so it would probably be well worth the cost of renting the film covering the year 1869 (when Bart was born) to see it this is indeed the right parish where he would have been baptized.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermain...

You don't need to understand Polish or Russian to understand the records. There are lots of translation aids available online to help you. I can tell you that records written in the Russian language do have the name of the individuals in BMDs (just the individuals the record is about, though) written in Polish right next to the Russian version of it.

Akta means metrical records, urodzeń means birth, małżeństw means marriage, zgonów means death, and druga copia means second copy. Records from 1868 forward will be in Russian, and records prior to 1868 will be in Polish. Using LDS microfilmed records will cost a tiny fraction of what you'd have to pay to send to Poland for records as well as take a less time. It isn't unusual to wait more than six months for a reply when writing to Polish churches for records and sometimes up to a year. Churches in Poland are usually staffed only by the parish priest and *maybe* a helper/houekeeper.

Here's a good link to info about using LDS microfilmed records for research: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/pcr.html

The "Micheal Imbirowicz" in the 1930 census [ED 958, sheet 3B] that I mentioned in my previous message whose father-in-law was "Bartlomay Marciewicz" and whose wife was named Mary is more than likely married to the child, Maria, from the above passenger record. Her age matches the age on the passenger record and the year of immigration (1912). Mary and Michael's marriage record (both civil and church) may provide the maiden name of Bart's first wife (her biological mother). BTW, Bart was a widower by the 1930 census. It's certainly him, because added to the other info, the immigration year (1912) is correct and it states that he'd filed papers to become a citizen of the US.

Since the 1930 census gives the age of the individual when he/she was *first married* you could use the LDS records to find when he was married prior to his marriage to Antonina. Since Bart was first married at age 25, that would place the marriage to his first wife in the vicininty of 1894. The index to marriages in Wayne Co on the FamilySearch.org site states that Mary Marcewicz's mother was named Frances. In Polish, Frances is Franciszka. You can also obtain a transcript or photocopy (not just a certificate) of the complete entry in the church books to confirm that Mary, Antonina, and Bart were from Borzechów (it may say Ratoszyn instead, though, since that was where their baptisms would have taken place). You don't want just a marriage certificate from the church, since those only contain enough into to confirm the event took place and there's usually more info on the bride/groom's parents in the actual record. If you don't know what church they were married in, you can find out by contacting the diocese and asking where the priest, Jos Przybylski, was stationed at the time of the marriage.

As for the infants that died, they most likely are the children of your Bart and Antonina. A elderly relative of mine never knew that he had three siblings who died in infancy prior to his birth. A hundred years ago, it was almost expected that not all of one's children would survive to adulthood, and I'm sure it was a different way of thinking in those days.

Regards,
MJ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions