Search for content in message boards

Frederick Herbert HAYWARD supposedly born Norfolk 1870/71

Frederick Herbert HAYWARD supposedly born Norfolk 1870/71

Posted: 14 Mar 2003 9:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jun 2013 2:23PM GMT
I am in Australia and hoping someone may be able and willing to check Norfolk records for birth of Frederick Herbert Hayward supposedly born Norfolk approx 1870/71. Parents unknown.
Unable to find on IGI or FreeBMD.
Any assistance very much appreciated.
Kind regards.
Jan Osborn,
Victoria,
Australia

Re: Frederick Herbert Hayward supposedly born Norfolk

Glynn (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2003 3:16PM GMT
Jan,

Try looking at familysearch.org, then check out the 1881 census for the UK. It could be that your man is on there. Do you know the names of any siblings? If so, try looking for them as these indexes are terribly unreliable.

If I can be of further assistance please feel free to drop me a line.

I live in Norfolk! Very bright and sunny today but a little on the chilly side.

Glynn

Posted: 2 Apr 2003 12:40PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2006 4:22AM GMT
Hi Glynn,

A little more re Frederick Herbert Hayward. He was definitely born Caistor, next Yarmouth approx 1872 [as per his army service record just received] . Found his mother and three siblings in 1881 census, dwelling Beach census place Caistor Next Yarmouth, Norfolk, she being Annis Hayward [head] aged 32, fishermans wife.
The husband Herbert Hayward I presume was 'out fishing' and possibly Frederick Herbert Hayward their eldest son aged approx 9 yrs may have been with him as I can't find a record of either.
My question is, HOW does one find people who were out fishing on the census night? and, if there is a record for them are you able to check that for me please?
Appreciate help.
Thanks.
Jan Osborn

Glynn (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2003 2:19PM GMT
Jan

I have asked some of my friends and as far as they are aware, if a person doesn't show up on the indexes there are several options;
He could be indexed under different spelling. (Howard, Heyward, Heywood, etc etc etc.)
He could be in a far flung place like Scotland or even the continent and not in the index.
He could be indexed under his initials only.
He could have been simply missed.
He could be on a ship/boat that was not put onto the index.
Or any number of other reasons.

I think that the obvious thing to do next is to look at Caistor in 1861 & 1871 as well as 1891 and 1901. 1901 is on line (go to Yahoo and type in 1901 census, click on the pro.gov one that comes up. I have had a quick look but couldn't find Herbert Hayward.

I looked at the 1851 census index for Norfolk but could not find Herbert Hayward either but i did find an Annis;
Robert George H Fisherman & Salvor Bn Caistor
Maria ,, W ,,
Annis ,, D 2 ,,
William Squires B in L ,,

These details all need checking as they are from an index.

Go to your nearest LDS Church and ask where the nearest LDS Library is, then you can order the 1861, 71, 91 census on film.

If you have any problems get back to me.

Glynn

Posted: 10 Apr 2003 11:36AM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2006 4:22AM GMT
Hi Glynn,

Thanks for comprehensive reply.
Appears 1851 census index listing 'Annis' is correct. Will follow up on your advice at LDS and order in films for 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891. May take sometime as I have to travel some distance to their Church and record dept.
As stated found Annis Hayward in 1881 census but no husband nor son Frederick Herbert Hayward but maybe they were out fishing together ,who knows.
His army pension record has him enlisting 1890 and serving overseas 1895-1900 and again prior toand during 1902 and1914-16 so may fluke him in 1891.
Will now check 1901 as you suggested and get back to you if need more assistance. May be awhile. Thanks for all help so far.
Cheers

Jan

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 1:24AM GMT
I realize that this is years later than the original posting but Herbert and Annis are my great-great-grandparents. I don't know about a Frederick but everything else matches.
Have lots of records pertaining to the Hayward branch if you care to contact me at hayward68@yahoo.com
Herbert Hayward drowned at sea around 1882 and Annis remarried a man called Ferrier.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions