Search for content in message boards

Binning and Smith

Binning and Smith

Posted: 16 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Feb 2002 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Binning, Smith, Denunekirk
I'm researching my family tree and would be grateful of any information on the Binning and Smith families of the
Essiquibo region. My mother's father was a Binning and her mother a Smith. In addition, I'd like information on the name 'Denunekirk',(I'm not sure about the spelling!), as my mother believes that was the name of one of her grandparents.

Thanks.

Surname origin

Posted: 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2006 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: DENUNEKIRK
Hi there,
The name Denunekirk sounds like a version of Dutch to me. (That's my educated guess; I live in Holland and speak Dutch)
A glance in the Amsterdam phone book indicates that there are Van Nieuwkerk families currently living here...
De Nieuwkerk could also be a variation.
Rgds, Donna

Denunekirk

Posted: 24 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 5:21AM GMT
Surnames: NIEUWERKERK
Along with Donna's suggestion, how about the following name which occurs in British Guiana/Guyana:

GOVERNMENT NOTICE: Pursuant to Ordinance No. 18, of the year 1851, His Excellency the Lieutenant- Governor is pleased to order the following List of Justices of the PEACE for the Colony of British Guiana, residing in the Counties of Demerara, Essequebo, and Berbice, respectively, to be Published for General Information:- COUNTY BERBICE:
By Command W.B. WOLSELEY, Acting Government Secretary.
Guiana Public Buildings, 2nd January, 1854,
Nieuwerkerk, Lambert de Assistant Receiver New-Amsterdam

The Official Gazette of British Guiana, Saturday 13 October 1855 : The Return of Robert Straker Turton, Acting Provost-Marshal of British Guiana, of MEN Qualified to Serve as JURORS in CRIMINAL CASES, to be Tried in and for the county of Berbice, in British Guiana.
Berbice, this 29th day of September 1855.W.W. Bennett, Marshal
Christian and Surname : Abode : Title Quality, Calling or Business : Qualification
Nieuwerkerk, Alick : New-Amsterdam. : Carpenter : Householder

Regards
Tikwis

Lambert de Nieuwerkerk

William de Nieuwerkirk (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Nieuwerkerk
Thank you very much for including my family name in this history. I have been searching for a long time to no avail.

Lambert de Nieuwerkerk was my great-great-grandfather. He died in 1859 and is buried in Berbice (I believe at St. Mary's Church).

His widow, Mary (born in Scotland), lived in New York City between 1867 and 1873, but I know nothing further about her. At least two of her sons were with her.

Could anyone supply me with further information? Are there any Nieuwerkerks living in Guyana today? Who is Alick Nieuwerkerk - any relation (I do not know the name)?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

William de Nieuwerkirk (Willdekirk@hotmail.com)

Re: Lambert de Nieuwerkerk

Paul Mueller (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2001 1:32AM GMT
Hello!William,
What a great surprise to find a decendent of my great great Uncle Lambert.
How we are related is by my Mother Murelle de Nieuwerkerk Kersting.My great great grandfather was Cloot de Nieuwerkerk
Lamberts' brother.It is my understanding that Lambert had a title (baron)and was Receiver General of Guiana at the beginning of the 19th. century.My great great grandfather Cloot had two children Richard and Catherine and I am a decendent of Richard.Cloots grand daughter was married to Herman Kersting they were my great great parents.
I believe they were members of St.Andrews Kirk in Georgetown. I have been trying to get information as far as birth and marriage records and maybe you would be able to help in that regard, since I'm unable to get an email address of the Church.
Hope to hear from you... Your cousin,
Paul
p.s.are you living in Guyana?

Michael Kyte (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2004 5:11PM GMT
I believe that Mary de Nieuwerkerk is the sister of my great great grandmother, Elizabeth Haynes Hollingsworth. I know that Mary lived with Elizabeth and her husband in Fanwood, New Jersey in the late 19th century. Please respond as I am interested in finding out more information. Thanks!

Posted: 1 Sep 2008 11:40AM GMT
Hello!

My ancestor Lewis Cameron and Jacob Gerard Cloot de Nieuwekerk (born 27 May 1779, died 1835)were partners in plantations as well as brothers-in-law: both were sons-in-law of Governor Abraham van Imbyze van Batenburg. J G Cloot de Nieuwekerk married Adrianna Boudwina van Imbyze van Batenburg. Their daughter Maria married the Hon. John Osborne St.Felix Daly, a wealthy Demerara planter, whose estate included the present day Botanic Gardens.

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 5:09PM GMT
Hello Paul,

I am the daughter of Carol Ann Kersting and granddaughter of Lambert deNieuwerkerk Kersting. My mother is your cousin and mentioned living with your mom, Murielle, and you and your brothers in Milwaukee. Mom would love to get in touch with you. We live in California. Mom has been trying to contact your mom for months and cannot get through. Mom's email is carolarattie@sbcglobal.net. Please contact her if you get a chance. Thank you!

Posted: 28 May 2009 11:45PM GMT
Surnames: Cameron deNieuwerkerk vanBatenburg
Do you know the names of the plantations owned by Lewis
Cameron and Jacob Gerard Cloot de Neiuwerkerk? One of them appears to be Belvedire (Bellvue) (?) Do you know any other names?
Many Thanks Bill de Nieuwerkerk

Re: Cameron de Nieuwerkerk

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Cameron de Nieuwerkerk
Does anyone have information regarding the plantations owned by various memebers of these families? Additional information would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
William de Nieuwerkerk
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions