Search for content in message boards

etymology of Clute surname

etymology of Clute surname

Posted: 6 Mar 2010 11:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the root meaning and origin of the clute family surname for a high school project. any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are from the clute family most recently living in the Fowler/Youngstown Ohio area.

Thank You,
Ann Clute

Re: etymology of Clute surname

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 1:42AM GMT
The first Clute in the US was Capt. Jan.. The spelling of his name was variable.. Clute, Knute,Cnute,But it was always recognizable as the same name. He is listed as a soldier in the original church records and contrary to most Dutch at the time, he had a surname.. I suspect he could have been of German origin.

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 1:55AM GMT
Thank you. You seem to have lots of Clute info. Any on a Peter Clute? Buried in a cemetary in Orwell, Ohio. Was a veteran in a war, died about the age of 65, had a son Charles M. Clute in Ohio in May 1864, who then went on to have his own 5 kids, Grace, Elner, Emery, Elsie,and Lynn with 3 different wives, Ada, Louisa and Emma?

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 3:00PM GMT
This Peter is a genuine mystery. I found him in South Cemetary in Ashtabule.. He was buried with Betsy Clute White 1782-1871 and Peter Clute 1904-1904. He seems to have had a son Charles M... but in the 1850 census in Ohio, I find Omi in Jefferson county and Richard and Abraham in Sheffeld.. None in the Ashtabula area. Is he in the 1860 census there?? Who was Charles MotherI think that Charles is Charles May Clute,son of Henry Clute and Nancy May.. born 11 May 1864, died 24 April 1949, both Ohio, South Cemetary. If so on 14 Feb. 1884, he married Louisa Kein and had at leas Emory Lee 1899, married Nellie Addicot and Grace May 1884 and Eleanor Ann 1887

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 6:21PM GMT
Please refer to KING CANUTE from Denmark

You will be able to find your answer there.....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions