Search for content in message boards

Mather family

Mather family

Glenys Goldsmith (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark, Croft, Pearson, Hodgson, Teasdale, Nightingale, Murgatroyd, Stead, Sayer, Davies, Jackson
There was a message on one of the boards I'm subscribed in which I deleted before realising I had gathered information on the name Mather some years ago.
I dont claim the name as one of my own, but one Suzanna Mather was a witness at the marriage of my great grandmother Ann Clark to James Pearson at St Ann's church,Auckland St.Andrew, which is in the market place at Bishop Auckland. I remembered the person posting the message mentioned Shildon, Co. Durham,UK., so thought I'd post what I have in case it helps others.
From the 1891 census for 24, Railway Row,Eldon ( a stones throw, down the bank from Shildon)John A Mather Hd M 31 Miner New Shildon
Agnes Mather Wf M 28, Mary L Mather Dau S 10 Scholar Eldon,
Suzanna Mather Dau S 8 Scholar Eldon, William Mather Son S 3yrs Eldon, and Ada Mather Dau S 1 Eldon.
And in the churchyard at St. Marks Eldon wass the headstone for the parents John Allan Mather died 09/07/1938 age 78
and Agnes Mather died 21/11/1943 age 80.Census information is set out as name-relationship-if married or not-age-occupation-place of birth.
I hope this helps someone.

Myles Edward Mather

Posted: 30 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2003 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: Mather, Sutherland, MacDonald
I am trying to trace Myles Edward Mather & family - he appears to have divorced his wife (maiden name Sutherland) in 1900. They had 3 children - Edward Strathearn Mather was the eldest, born in 1874, residing in Edinburgh with his maternal grandmother in 1891. Myles Mather was born in Wales, his wife in Inverness, Scotland. Her father David Sutherland was the minister of the Free Church (Inverness East Church) from 1843 until his death in 1875. Can anyone make a connection here?

Myles E. Mather

Posted: 4 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2003 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: Mather, Sutherland, MacDonald
Hello Glenys

Both - I was married to a MacDonald but have recently discovered that I have MacDonald ancestors. Mine are all from the Inverness area. Have you got the 1881 census discs from the LDS - they will perhaps help in you in your search. That is where I got my starting info from. I discovered that my g.g.g. grandmother was born in Canada (no one in the family was aware of this fact) and it went on from there. Am now well and truly stuck but have got back to the 1700s. Good luck with your digging.

Regards
Fiona

Mather family

Glenys Goldsmith (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Pearson, Croft, Hodgson, Teasdale, Nightingale, MacDonald
Sorry Fiona,
My interest in the Mather name is secondary to my own research, as Susanna Mather was a witness of my great grandmother Ann Clark's marriage to James Pearson in St. Ann's Church, Auckland, Co. Durham on April 24th 1880.
It's my assumption that Susanna was a close neighbour and friend of the family, having checked some details for someone else, I can see no connection to Myles, although there is always that possibility.
Am I right in thinking that MacDonald is your married name or are you blessed with that name in your own right, only I'm desperately seeking the birth details of my great grandmother Annie MacDonald, on my paternal side whose mother was named Margaret or Annie. However her birth may have occurred either in North East England or she may have been born in Scotland. My great aunt Ethel MacDonald Teasdale who was born in February 1908 believes we are descended from Flora MacDonald of Skye. I must find her parents correct birthdays before I can progress backwards.
Sorry I cant be of further help with your Mather connections.

Re: Myles Edward Mather

Posted: 12 Mar 2005 3:53PM GMT
Surnames: Mather,Buckell, Dick
Myles Edward Mather was the brother of my paternal great-great grandmother Isabella Mather. Myles was born at Glyn Abbot, Holywell, Flintshire on the 15th of July 1849. and Married Lydia E.H. Mather ( I don't know her maiden name - but presume it's Sutherland from what you have said) of Inverness shire. According to the 1881 cesus they had 3 children in Leamington Spa, Warks. Margaret C.A. Mather 1879, Myles H.S. Mather 1881 and Vida Mather 1877. I don't know where Edward Strathearn Mather fits in. Maybe from another marriage. I have traced the Mathers of Glyn Abbot, Holywell, Flintshire and Liverpool back to 1640.

Posted: 11 Dec 2005 11:34AM GMT
Hello Angus
I have just seen your message - have changed ISP so I was not getting updates.
It would be interesting to learn what else you know about Myles.
Thanks and regards
Fiona

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 10:21PM GMT
Hi there

I have found out some more of the Mather family - it looks like they might have fallen on hard times. Both the sons (Myles Edward and Edward Strathearn Gordon Mather) went to the States but it seems they did not do well. I think Vida married in 1910 but have no idea of her husband's name. Lydia (Sutherland) Mather was living in London in 1901 with Vida but no sign of Myles - I wonder if they divorced. Do you know when Myles died?

Thanks and regards
Fiona

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 5:43AM GMT
Hello,

I'm not so much interested in Myles as his forebears. My wife is descended from Myles and Isabella's brother Thomas. I have details of the family line back to Nathan (1693), but not the actual sources of the essential links—like, how do we know that Thomas (1755) was Nathan's grandson, or that Daniel (1723) was Nathan's son?

If the sources are things like family bibles and the like, that's fine. At the moment, all I have for a source for some information is a name, like "Pat & Bill Dunn". I'd like to know how "Pat & Bill Dunn" decided that what we have is the actual family line.

Can you help with any of this? How did you determine that the line you have is actually correct? (Presumably you recognise the names I've mentioned above. If not, then I'd be interested in know the line you have back as far as it goes.)

Regards
Pete

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 10:04AM GMT
Hi there

Sorry no I cannot help - I am related to Myles Mather's wife Lydia Elizabeth Kerr Sutherland - all I have on Myles are his parents' names (from his marriage certficate).

Regards
Fiona

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 11:48AM GMT
Surnames: Mather
Hello,

I'm not sure how this bulletin board works, so please excuse me if the following is a duplicate message.

I'm not so much interested in Myles as his forebears. My wife is descended from Myles and Isabella's brother Thomas. I have details of the family line back to Nathan (1693), but not the actual sources of the essential links—like, how do we know that Thomas (1755) was Nathan's grandson, or that Daniel (1723) was Nathan's son?

If the sources are things like family bibles and the like, that's fine. At the moment, all I have for a source for some information is a name, like "Pat & Bill Dunn". I'd like to know how "Pat & Bill Dunn" decided that what we have is the actual family line.

Can you help with any of this? How did you determine that the line you have is actually correct? (Presumably you recognise the names I've mentioned above. If not, then I'd be interested in know the line you have back as far as it goes.)

Regards
Pete
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions