Search for content in message boards

Talty, help please

Posted: 4 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 May 2003 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Talty
I too am reaching Taltys from Carhuduff, Milltown Malbay, County Clare. My ancesters came to the US around 1847. The family included Michael Talty and Bridget Doherty. There children were: Anthony, Charles, Michael, Hugh (1828), John (1830), Mary, Margaret (1832), Johanna, Peter Paul (1845). They were from the Parish of Kilfarboy, Diocese of Killaloe. I have Peter's birth/baptismal certificate from St. Joseph Catholic Church.

From what I have been able to locate thus far, my Taltys first went to Quebec. They later moved on to New York (have not yet determined what part but think it may have been Buffalo). From New York, they moved on with most of them settling in Dubuque, Iowa; however, others lived for a time in Waterloo, Iowa; Memphis, TN; Manchester, NH; and Maysville, KY.

A good place to search for information is the LDS Family History Library. They have a website where you can search the IGI and you will find several Taltys living in the Milltown Malbay area of Clare County -- www.familysearch.org

Good luck!

Talty, help please

Jerry T. Clark (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
I am trying to research my wifes' g-grandmother, Susan Talty
b. abt. 1850? m. John Mullaney in Chattanooga, Tenn., 1871.

Supposedly she came from Miltown, Malbay, County Clare.

Anyone familiar with the surname Talty?

Any help appreciated.

Jerry Clark
Louisville, KY, USA

THE FAMINE IMMIGRANTS

Al O'Brien (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Here's some information from THE FAMINE IMMIGRANTS which contains 500,00+ Irish entering the US at NEW YORK between 1846-1851. Maybe it might be important to you or some other Talty researcher.
Vol V Pg 23
Ship MONTREAL arrived from LIMERICK ON October 15, 1849
Taltys---Catherine(30) Bridget(10) John(3) Winny(6)James(11 months)
Vol V Pg 46
Ship CONSTELLATION arr from LIVERPOOL on 10-24-1849
Taltys---Bridget(20) Peter(18) Ellen(13)
Hope it helps
Al O'Brien
LaGrange Park, IL

Talty, Doonbeg

Killian O'Reilly (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: TALTY
Looking for info on Talty's from Doonbeg area (near Kilrush)
Any help appreciated,

THE FAMINE IMMIGRANTS

Posted: 9 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2003 2:36AM GMT
Thank you for the information.
Posted: 9 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2001 5:01AM GMT
Surnames: Talty, Doherty, Curtain
I too am searching on this family. My GG Grandparents are James Talty (son of Peter and Talty and Bridget Curtain) and Margaret Talty (daughter of Mike Talty and Bridget Doherty. According to Margaret Talty the family came to this country in 1848 from Millstown Maybrey,Clare County. While crossing the Atlantic they were shipwrecked on a reef for 6 weeks during which time they were forced to eat potato skins to survive. I have more on the story and I am trying to locate the ship records. According to family, 3 brothers and a sister died on the ship comming over. They came in through Montreal to Buffalo where Margaret and Mike were married. They had 11 children. They followed the Railroad to Kentucky then to New Hampshire where James brothers lived. Margaret's brothers were in Dubuque so they went there next. I know of three brothers in Dubuque. John, Hugh and Peter. I am looking for a birth date for James and any dates at all for his mother Bridget Curtain and Father Peter Talty and for Margaret's Mother Bridget Doherty and Mik Talty. All I know about Mike is that he was a stone mason that "did fine work" I have a few family stories if you are interested

Talty, O'Loughlin

Posted: 24 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2001 2:49PM GMT
Surnames: O'Loughlin, Talty
I have a partial copy of Griffith's Valuation (1855)for a portion of the Parish of Kilfarboy. It lists several
Taltys living at Glendine South, which was just outside Miltown Malbay. They were: Anthony Talty, 2 Michael Taltys,
and a John Talty. My ancestor Michael O'Loughlin is from that exact region and married a Bridget Talty. As I mentioned it was in the Parish of Kilfarboy, Union Of Ennistimon, Co. Clare.
Posted: 7 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2001 5:01AM GMT
Thanks that is great!

Doherty

Mary Ystad Curran (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Doherty, Howard, Clohessy, Hartigan, Walsh, Sexton, O'Loughlin
Could the town be Miltown Malbay? I'm looking for a connection to Margaret Doherty who married Thomas Clohessy in 1866. Margaret was the daughter of Thomas Clohessy and Mary Howard. The Doherty land was in Ballyvaskin, Miltown Malbay, Co Clare.

Thanks in advance,

mc

O'Loughlin

Mary Ystad Curran (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Clohessy, Doherty, Howard, O'Loughlin, Walsh, Sexton, Hartigan
Which O'Loughlin? Did any marry a Clohessy? I was in Ireland this spring and visited Miltown Malbay. Lots of o'Loughlin in the area.

thanks in advance
mc
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions