Search for content in message boards

Goetz Family

Goetz Family

Posted: 5 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 2:53PM GMT
Surnames: Goetz, Bryan, Ruths, Sprecher

Interested in contacting any descendant of Adam Goetz and Mary Ann Bryan. Adam and Mary lived in Greencastle and Antrim Twp, Franklin County, Pa. Adam died in 1877 and Mary in 1883.

One son of Adam, Thomas Moore Goetz married Mary Catherine Ruths.

One son of Thomas, Edward Fleming Goetz, Sr. married Libbie Pearl Sprecher.

Have much information on the descendants of the above and willing to share.

Adam & Mary Ann Goetz

Posted: 23 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2006 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: Goetz, Bryan, Fitz, Sweitzer
I am a descendent of Adam and Mary Ann (I thought it was Alice) of Greencastle, Franklin Co. PA, through their son Martin Luther GOETZ whom married Mary Ann SWEITZER. Their daughter, Nellie Kathryn GOETZ is my Great-grandmother. She married Benjamin Franklin FITZ.

Any information about Adam and Mary Ann would be greatly appreciated, as they are my brick wall. I believe that Adam was born in Germany(according to the census) and Mary Ann in PA or VA info is a little conflicting at this point.

Looking forward to corresponding with you.

Goetz Family

Posted: 25 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Goetz, Bryan
Glad to hear from someone interested in the Goetz family line. This is my wife's family. I have nothing beyond Adam Goetz. He is the immigrant on this line. I believe he immigrated abt 1834 from Germany. I have not yet located the ship pasenger list. I need to do that. This is the same time that J. Philip Goetz also immigrated. I believe very strongly that they were brothers but have no proof other than circumstantial things.

As for Mary Ann Bryan - I have not yet done substantial research on her family. The death certificate of Adam and Mary's youndest son, Joseph H. Goetz, listed her name as Mary Ann Bryan. Her newspaper obituary listed her name as Mary Magdalene widow of Adam Goetz. I have never seen Mary Alice referred to in any records.

My record of the family of Martin Luther Goetz is incomplete. He had a grandson Ambrose C. Goetz. Not sure how he fits. Was planning to check for his obituary. But perhaps you can help by providing information on Martin's family. I had Martin's wife as Mary A. Swisher. I got her maiden name from the obituary of her son, Brant C. Goetz. I will make the correction to Sweitzer. Thanks. I will try to download some information and forward to you via another email.

Look forward to hearing from you. If you live in the Franklin County area, perhaps we could meet and I could share additional information with you.

...regards, Mike Fisher

Goetz Family

Posted: 26 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Goetz, Bryan
Jeff,

Tried to download some of my Goetz file to email it to you, but for some reason I could not get it to work. My wife descends from Adam Goetz and Mary Ann Bryan through their son, Thomas Moore Goetz. Adam and Mary are her great great grandparents as they are for you.

I tried to email a separate file to you at jfitz@aol.com but it keeps coming back undeliverable. Please email me directly at goalkeeper@supernet.com I will then attach my file and return it to you.

Thanks, Mike Fisher

Goetz/Gates

Gena Gates Lally (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GOETZ, GATES, WALPURGIA, CLINE
I am trying to find a connection to my 5th gr grandfather. I believe he may be Yost/Jost Goetz. Supposedly came to this country from Prussia/Germany. Settled in York Co PA with his wife, Anna Maria Walpurgia (sp?). they had 4 sons. One of whom may be my 4th gr grandfather J.P. (John Philip?) Gates He was christened at Christ Evangelical Luthern Church in York Co. J.P and Michael Gates, are both found in the 1850 Wayne Co IL census on adjoing property. J.P Gates, b. Pa abt 1781 wagonmaker, wife Elizabeth, b. NC abt 1784, daughter Sarah, b NC c. 1804, daughter Susanna, b c. 1805 KY, son Valentine, b. NC. Next door is Michael Gates, wagonmaker, b. c. 1811, KY, wife Catherine Ann Cline, b VA, and a large family including Simpson Franklin Gates, age 12 b. IN. Frank is my gr gr grandfather
There is a strong naming pattern between the two families as well as what appears to be the same migration route
PA>NC>KY>TN>IN>IL>MO>AR. I am trying to prove a connection between JP and Michael as well as learn more of JP's background. I have no idea what ship they my have immigrated to US on. Could there be a connection with your lines? Any info appreciated

Re: Goetz Family

Robert Decker (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2003 10:58PM GMT
Surnames: Goetz, Applhagen
Hello Mike,
I am also interested in Goetz in Pennsylvania, specifically in Erie or abouts.

A Martin (Marten) Goetz, born abt 1861, shows Erie, Pa.
Do you have any info on this fellow?? He married a 'Applhagen"

Regards,
Bob

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 5:24AM GMT
Sorry, took so long to respond. It has been a very long while since I checked the message boards. That person does not sound familiar to me. Good luck on your search

Posted: 18 Jan 2004 5:00AM GMT
Robert,
I have a list of obituary dates for some Goetz's. I see a Lena Appelhagen Goetz. Her date of death is Jan. 21, 1935. Contact the Erie Public Library.
Mike Szczesny

Mike Shaffer (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2005 5:50AM GMT
I am also looking for information on Martin Goetz and Lena Appelhagen. Have you had any luck finding anything?

Posted: 28 May 2005 7:27PM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2006 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Switzer, Sweitzer, Gates, Goetz
My research has taken me back to Jacob SWITZER and a Mary Ann GATES, both born in Franklin Co., PA, getting married in Wayne Co., Ohio, in 1848, and his brother, David SWITZER marrying her sister, Elizabeth GATES, in 1849, also in Wayne Co., Ohio. The possibly exists that GATES may be GOETZ, and your post mentioned Swisher or Sweitzer. This is one of my brickest of walls. Any chance I'm in the same family?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions