Search for content in message boards

Johann Granshagen and Annette Pedersdokken

Johann Granshagen and Annette Pedersdokken

ich (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2001 12:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johann Granshagen and Annette Pedersdokken
Hi there,

I am looking for these two people. All I know is that these two people had a son named August John Granshagen born Sept 2, 1885 in Lena, Norway.

At some point he emigrated to Minnesota.

Any help out there?
Thanks

Iris

Re: Johann Granshagen and Annette Pedersdokken

PR (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2001 2:34PM GMT
There is a farm called Granshagen in Toten, Oppland.

ich (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2001 4:26PM GMT
Thank you PR

You have given me the first indication concerning 'Granshagen'. Which part of Norway is Toten, Oppland in. Is it close to Lena?

Thanks
Iris

PR (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2001 9:36PM GMT
You will find that Oppland is one of the major subdivisions of Norway. Like a US state or a province elsewhere-
Toten is a region within Oppland - like a US county within a state.
Of course, the Norwegian administrative and governmental entities are not that similar or simple -- but that might give you a concept to start with.
So look at a map of Norway to find Oppland - and look at a map of Oppland to find Toten. Depending upon the time period reflected in a map of Oppland you may find that Toten is also known as 'Vestre Toten' and ''Østre Toten'.
There are many maps of Norway available on the web and in any good atlas. Here's a link to a very simple set of maps - a map of all Norway is at the bottom of the first page and you can link to a more closeup map of each fylke.
http://members.tdn.com/dagwood/NorMap1.html
(I do not collect online map sites.)

I've never heard of 'Lena' as a locality in Norway, but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't one. Or perhaps someone was 'spelling challenged' or was trying to spell it phonetically

Posted: 26 Nov 2001 10:54PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2002 3:37PM GMT
For your information, Lena is a norwegian equivalent to your townships and is situated in todays commune of Østre Toten.

You may find it on the map at http://www.maponweb.com/no-en/start.html

Search for place Lena in the county of Oppland. Good luck from Norway.

ICH (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 5:37AM GMT
Surnames: Re: Johann Granshagen and Annette Pedersdokken
Thank you for the assistance Svein.

Posted: 27 Nov 2001 9:11AM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2002 3:37PM GMT
For your information, you will find the whole family in the Norwegian census of 1900 at this URL

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

The farm was obviously in Vestre Toten commune, but perhaps the closest township was Lena. On the same webpage you will find an emigrant database. Look in emigrants over Oslo harbour, which would have been the most obvious place for them to leave Norway.

For further assistance you may try the local historic and genealogical society at

http://www.slektshistorielaget.com/

Good luck.

Re: Johann Granshagen and Annette Pedersdokken (Johan Nilsen and Antonette Pedersdatter)

ich (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2001 1:15AM GMT
Surnames: RE: Johan Nilsen and Antonette Pedersdatter
Hi Svein,

which should be Johan Nilsen and Antonette Pedersdatter I guess....

Thank you for the 1900 census and the info therein. There should be a total of 12 children and in the 1900 census I see only 8. Is there a later census that includes Nils, Petra, Piere Anton, and Martin.

Thanks a heap for your assistance,
Iris

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 10:50PM GMT
Hi there. I am quite new to genealogy. But I am sure that August John Granshagen is my husbands grandfather. The birthday and place of birth match. What else can you say?!? Email me please.

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 10:08PM GMT
Surnames: Granshagen or Hagen
Hello is this Iris Hagen from Edmonton, AB Canada?

If so, I am also looking for them...their son Taale is my grandfather. I am trying to find relatives in Norway.
Shelley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions