Search for content in message boards

McClure, African-American, Mississippi

McClure, African-American, Mississippi

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 3:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to find anyone with McClure ancestors from Copiah, Claiborne, Washington County, Mississippi.

Re: McClure, African-American, Mississippi

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 8:57PM GMT
Hi, just found your message, I too have been looking for my ancestors so hopefully we can help each other out. The names I have now are the ones I knew growing up. I always knew my grandmother as Allie Hodges and it was not until I talked to Uncle Fred, Lizzie Mcclure's son, that I learned her name was Tyree aka Setira or Setire Carter who lived with Momma Lizzie and Pa Henry as my mother called them, Her name was Elizabeth, which they called "Dago," who raised her. since everyone is deceased on my end I'm not sure if Setira Wilson is my grandmother's mom and if Setira Wilson is the daughter of Susan Wilson who married Henry McClure Sr. Now alot of this comes from researching the census and school records so any info you have will be helpful if we are talking about the same people. I'm also trying to organize a family reunion here in
Georgia for 2014. Hope to hear from you.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 5:07AM GMT
Back in the day a woman was not allowed to give the father's surname until they were legally married. Therefore it is more than likely her daughter. Also, I see a relationship to Henry's family and my family but I can't keep up with all the James McClure as my great grandfather died in the 1950's and his wife my great grandma Georgia Taylor McClure died in 1992. My aunt did not know what was her father's birth name and my cousin tells me he was named after my great grandfather James Edward McClure and my aunt said her father was not James Edward but Eddie Lee McClure LOL. So I have been stuck for 3 yrs now. BTW: I found Emery or Emory's descendants on facebook. They look exactly like my grandfather's people and they have a James McClure Sr, Jr and III just like my family, most like in Greenville a few in Atlanta and Memphis. There family move to wayside, ms from claiborne county, ms just like my great grandfather. I think a DNA is needed on one of my uncles.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 5:21AM GMT
OMG, this is so strange my grandma was Annie Mae Carter and my grandfather was J.C. McClure (later in life he changed it to James McClure) It seems that no one keep up with the Carter nor McClure sides of my family. So it been very difficult to piece the puzzle together and make them fit properly over here.. If you want me to notify Emory's descendant aka James McClure (1930-1968) children and grandchildren let me know.. You might already know them but I thought I would volunteer my services.. BTW I have gotten confused on Setira Carter and Setira Wilson. However I do believe Susan Wilson McClure's daughter may have been Setira Wilson but I have no obirtuary to confirm either way. Nothing other than the jacked up census report. Did you order a death record.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 9:56PM GMT
Thank you for responding. You're right it is a puzzle. the 1880 census has Setira listed as Clinton and Amanda Wilson's daughter and Susan Wilson as the sister to Clinton,later census has her listed as Susan's daughter. My grandmother also changed her name several times. She is known as Tyree,Allie,Baby, but I don't know where the Hodges come from. As you can see my info comes from the census and what little info I remember my mother mentioning when I was younger. My email is annette0426@yahoo.com we can exchange numbers then. Thank you so much I look forward to talking with you and anyone else who can shed light on the Wilson,Carter,Mcclure family history.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 10:02PM GMT
Death certificates and birth certificates was my next step. I have ordered a birth certificate for Allie Hodges but this turned out to not be my grandmother because I can't find my mother's birth certificate with that name on it. So I don't know if her name is Elizabeth Rash, Wilson, Carter or Mcclure but school records have her and my grandmother listed as Mcclures.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions