Search for content in message boards

Watts families of Buffalo, Erie County, NY

Watts families of Buffalo, Erie County, NY

Rodger Airey (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2003 8:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: AIREY, CHAMBERLAIN, WATTS,
Charles H. WATTS married Ellen Ma(r)y AIREY. Family lived on Abbott Road. Children were Alice Esther (b11/29/1884), Robert Barnard (b 2/13/1888), Edward Chester (b 10/1/1893), Chester Arthur (b abt 1894, d 8/27/1895). All were born in Buffalo.

Alice Esther was baptized Wednesday, 8/31/1887. Sponsors were Edward C. AIREY and Alice R. AIREY.

Robert Barnard was baptized 5/20/1888. Sponsors were Edward C AIREY and Alice R AIREY. He married Julia M about 1909. Their children were William C (b about 1915), Chester R (b about 1917), Hazel L (b about 1917).

Edward Chester was baptized on Wednesday, 2/7/1894. Sponsors were Edward C. AIREY, Emma AIREY and Alice R. CHAMBERLAIN (nee AIREY).

Chester Arthur was buried 8/29/1895 in Reed’s Cemetery.

The AIREY and WATTS family worshipped at St. Thomas and St. James Episcopal Churches in Buffalo. From microfiche #1378568 of the Family History Center, I was able to get further information on WATTS families that may or may not be connected to my family, above. Please note that the two churches whose records are on this microfiche appear to be fairly small in size.

Mrs. Elizabeth WATTS born 5/10/1860 died 12/23/1899. She was buried 12/26/1899 at ST. John’s Pine Hill Cemetery.

List of families at St. James (circa 1850s) included Capt. Henry WATTS, Julia M. WATTS, Thomas Henry WATTS, Eliza E. WATTS, Robert A. WATTS, Mortimer C. WATTS all of 155 Division Street. Also, Robert WATTS of 210 Division Street.

Baptism of the above children (Thomas, Eliza, Robert and Mortimer) took place in December of 1858. Henry and Julia were listed as parents. Sponsors were Abram FIELDS, Robert WATTS and Henrietta WATTS.

Baptism of Mrs. Henrietta E. WATTS took place 6/16/1861.

Baptism of William Henry WATTS (b 1/15/186X) and Henrietta Augusta WATTS (b 9/1/186X) took place in March of 1862. Parents were Robert and Henrietta E. WATTS. Sponsors were RJ PATCHIN and Mrs. FA PATCHIN.

Baptism of Julia WATTS was in 1862. Sponsors were Capt Henry WATTS, Mrs. Henrietta WATTS and Mrs. Elizabeth WATTS.

Baptism of Lydia Ann WATTS (b 8/11/1863) was in 1863. Parents were Robert and Henrietta.

Baptism of Robert WATTS was 5/5/1865. He was born in Buffalo. Parents were Robert and _____ WATTS. Sponsors were mother and Mrs. PATCHIN.

Baptism of Carina (?) May WATTS was 8/7/1866. She was born in Buffalo. Parents were Henry and Julia WATTS.

Baptism of Jane Elizabeth. WATTS (b 11/12/1869) was 4/16/1870. Parent was Robert WATTS.

Also, from the1880 census, amongst 51 WATT and WATTS, the family of Robert WATTS (1832) appears with his wife, Henrietta (1842) and children William (1860), Henrietta S. (1862), Lydia (1864), Robert R. (1865), Jennie (1868), Richard (1870), Thomas (1872), Emma (1874), John (1876) and Charles (1878). All were born in New York.

Re: Watts families of Buffalo, Erie County, NY

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 3:33PM GMT
Thanks for posting this information.. It has been awhile since I have worked on my family history, so I need to go back and refresh my memory, but there are names here that seem to connect.
My gg granfather was Capt. Thomas Watts, had a brother Henry whose wife's name was Julia. Henry & Julia Watts had a son Robert Arthur, a daughter Carrie (whose proper name could very well be Carina)
I know my gg grnadfather and his wife Esther (Waterbury) Watts live in Buffalo in the 1850's
I have a picture of a Robert & Nettie Watts who lived in Buffalo, off the top of head can't remember the date, but wonder in "Nettie" might be Henrietta ??
Thanks again for the post!!

Susan

Re: Watts families of Buffalo, Erie County, NY

Posted: 21 Dec 2003 7:38AM GMT
Rodger: The Charles H. Watts that married Ellen Ma(r)y Airey. Do you know the patenrtage of Charles H. Watts?? Was it possibily Thomas & Elizabeth(???) Watts??
My gg grandfather Capt Thomas Watts, mentioned in my previous post had several half siblings. His father's name was Thomas and I believe his stepmother's name may have been Elizabeth.
In the 1880 census Henry & Julia's children are Arthur R. (probably Robert A.), Carrie M. (which agrees with the Carina M, baptized in 1866) , & Nettie. Thomas, Eliza & Mortimer I am wondrering about. In 1880 they may have been out of the household. However, it gives me some more names to research!!!! I had found Thomas in an earlier census and thought maybe he had died as a child.
There are many little pieces of your post that are helping me possibily put some puzzle pieces into my family.
I would love to toss more info back and forth with you sometime!

Susan
AromaArmoi@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic