Search for content in message boards

Harris/Trail of Tears

Harris/Trail of Tears

Posted: 20 Jun 2000 4:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 3:48PM GMT
Surnames: Harris
Does anyone know anything about some Cherokee Indians coming across The Trail of Tears and meeting up with the Harris family and taking their name? Looking for a Charles Ellsworth Harris. Possibly could have been freinds with the James Gang. Patty

Harris

Candice (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2000 12:27PM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 3:49PM GMT
if you come across any information about the cherokee's and the harris family name i would appreciate you contacting me. My family tells the same story. I am looking for father of james monroe harris. I was told that is where the native american comes into our family. I can give you more details if you like later.
Posted: 21 Jun 2000 4:38AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 3:52PM GMT
Yes I would like to have more info . Maybe it would help . If I hear anything else I will let you know. What dates do you have? or do you? I dont have any at this time. You can e-mail me at bndogn@aol.com

Harris Trail of Tears

Posted: 30 Jun 2000 11:49AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 4:00PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Ross
My husbands family comes from Harris that descends from John Ross. We are still trying to make that connection but his gggreatgrandmother was Sarah Elizabeth her daughter was Sarah Abigale or known as Sallie Sarah. My husband was told by his grandfather that he was a descendent of John Ross who was at one time chief of the Cherokee nation John Ross's wife Quatie was on the Trail of Tears. We believe that Sarah Elizabeth was just alittle girl on the Trail of Tears but still working on that. Her children are,in order of birth: Margaret, Ann?(not sure if that is her name), Easter (Tennessee)Jane, Joseph Valentine Sarah Abigale. Not sure if this helps but if anyone has any additional info it would be greatly appreciated.

Harris Trail of Tears (updated)

Posted: 30 Jun 2000 11:51AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Ross
My husbands family comes from Harris that descends from John Ross. We are still trying to make that connection but his gggreatgrandmother was Sarah Elizabeth (not sure maiden name was Thornton or Thompson) her daughter was Sarah Abigale or known as Sallie Sarah. My husband was told by his grandfather that he was a descendent of John Ross who was at one time chief of the Cherokee nation John Ross's wife Quatie was on the Trail of Tears. We believe that Sarah Elizabeth was just alittle girl on the Trail of Tears but still working on that. She married Frederick Harris who was a Cherokee scout in the civil war. Her children are,in order of birth: Margaret, Ann?(not sure if that is her name), Easter (Tennessee)Jane, Joseph Valentine Sarah Abigale. Not sure if this helps but if anyone has any additional info it would be greatly appreciated.

Texas Harris'

D. Harris (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2000 12:26PM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Pickle
Rumors in family of possible indian relations. My grandfather was from west Texas, one of 10 children. Some of names are: Emerson Miller(my grandfather), Livian, C.W., James, May (moved to Oregon), and Sybil. Emerson married Janice Pickle. He was known as Miller Harris, sheriff of Howard County, Texas in 1950s and 1960s.

Harris Trail of Tears - Easter Harris

Posted: 14 Aug 2000 6:46PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2011 12:42PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Hawkins
Sheila, What information do you have on your Easter Harris daughter of Sara Elizabeth and Frederick Harris. My Easter Harris b.21 April 1863 d.6 Jul 1939 md. Issac Louis Hawkins lived in Indian Territory/OK - Latimer Co. area. Any info would be appreciated. I have no idea who her parents were.

Thanks! Sharon
SChamplin@prodigy.net

Re: Easter Harris

Posted: 15 Aug 2000 5:35AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 4:02PM GMT
Sharon,
I have emailed my husbands mom. She has more info than I do as far as dates go. Also you can contact Sherry Page at edwardsherriepage@worldnet.att.net. Edward is direct descendant of Easter Harris.
Sheila =)))

Re: Harris Trail of Tears (updated)

Posted: 24 Jun 2001 10:30PM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 4:02PM GMT
I am curious.. in the liine coming from this.. do you note any J. Ross Harris, possibly with a sister Sue.. from the Ardmore/Tishimingo area and later possibly Chickasha?? I have a "ghost" I am looking for.. and his daughter, my grandmother.. had what I have often felt were Indian-like features.. although I know little about his as he and my g0-grandmother divorced before grandma was born.

Re: Harris Trail of Tears (updated)

Posted: 9 Aug 2002 7:55AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2006 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: Ross
My mother's maiden name is Ross, my grandfather, James Beverly Ross is believed to be the great grandson of Chief John Ross. If anyone has come across my grandfathers name, please let me know, I am very interested in my mother's side of the family. If you have any information, please email me at blondecherry13@hotmail.com
thankyou very much!
Kelly
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions