Search for content in message boards

Tondo 1889 census

Tondo 1889 census

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hernandez, Segismundo
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what is written on the census page of my 2nd great grandparents Juan Hernandez and Telesfora Segismundo. The page is from the 1889 census of Tondo, Manila. I'm trying to make out what is listed in the profession area-looks like "lastre" for my gg grandfather and "tendera" for my gg grandmother?? What does this mean? Also my great grandfather Adrian is listed as "lastre" and is his marital status listed as married?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much!
Attachments:

Re: Tondo 1889 census

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 7:12PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2014 8:03PM GMT
Hi Chris!

Its definitely SASTRE which pertains to sewing, possibly a tailor. I could make out TENDERA for Juana Reyes, meaning she's involved in some selling activity.

But im at a loss as to what that word is for Telesfora Segismundo's profession. . . sorry, i cant even get that first letter. . .it seems like an A at first glance but its not. As for the marital status, i could only surmise that CDO means CASADO or married while the markings below that word could be a ditto symbol.

Perhaps this resource from Family Search on Spanish Genealogical Word List would help you
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Spanish_Genealogical_...

I hope some others could help you decipher these.

Re: Tondo 1889 census

Posted: 15 Feb 2014 2:38AM GMT
Hi memaryk_k and thanks so much for the response and assistance! I did not even consider the first letter being an "s" in SASTRE as thought it was an "l" But this makes so much sense as it is clearly and S. Thanks so much for clearing that up.

I was thinking Telesfora's occupation was tendera with the "t" just written a different way but I'm not so sure now. I will look at the list on the link you gave and see if I can match it up with something.

I was also thinking the CDO meant casado as well but was confused because this means my great grandfather Adriano was married to someone else before my great grandmother. More to look into!

Thanks again so much for your help. It always helps having another pair of eyes look at a document :)

Chris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions