Search for content in message boards

William H. Combs and Lizzie See Combs--Mason County, WV

William H. Combs and Lizzie See Combs--Mason County, WV

Alice Click (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2004 9:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Combs, Richardson, Sayre, See
Would appreciate the descendants of William H. Combs and Lizzie See Combs contacting me. William H. died in Florida. I am the granddaughter of his sister, Mary Blance Combs Williamson. Children listed in grandmother's notebook were William Darrel Combs, Mary A. Combs, Donna Pauline Combs who married Ray (Roy?) Richardson, Harold Combs, Zeldon Combs, and Donald Paul Combs. the parents of William H. Combs are buried at Arbuckle, Combs Cemetery, Mason County, West Virginia. They were Henry CLAY Combs and Lanora Anise Sayre Combs. Buried beside William H. Combs (Civil War--Confederate) and Sarah Susan (Sallie) Flowerree Combs. Also buried in the cemtery are Edgar, Ulyssis Grant, and Rhoda Combs Sayre.

Re: William H. Combs and Lizzie See Combs--Mason County, WV

Alice Click (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2004 10:06PM GMT
Another brother of William H. Combs was Henry Clay Combs Jr. who went by the name of Harry. Harry married Bonnie McCoy--lived at Columbus, OH Sorry I forgot to list Harry. On the Combs Board, I failed to list Harry and Edgar--another brother.

Okey L. King (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2004 3:05AM GMT
Hello,

I have a couple of Questons.

1. What was the relationship of the William H. Combs, who married the Flouree, to henry Clay Combs?

2. I knew a Preacher Combs when I was a boy. I think he pastored the Rock Castle Church Circuit. In his older years, he attended the Roxalana EUB Church and lived out at a lake near Cross Lanes, WV. I don't recall his first name. Would you know of him?

I have Elizabeth (Lizzie) See as the daughter of George and Mary Mercer Beattie See. She was the Grand Niece of my great grandfather John W. Stone's first wife. She was also an Elizabeth. This Elizabeth was the great grandaughter of Frederick Michael See who was murdered by the Indians at Fort Arbuckle in Greenbrier County.

But, you probably already have that information.

Alice Click (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2004 3:05PM GMT
Surnames: Combs, See, Sayre, Flowerree, Williamson
Okey: Thank you for writing. William H. Combs married Sarah Susan (Sallie) Flowerree. William H. was in the Civil War--War of the Rebellion. He fought for the Confederate side. He and Sarah Susan Flowerree came here from Facquier County and settled at Cottageville. They had a dozen children. They later moved to Arbuckle where their son Henry Clay Combs had a farm. They are buried in the Combs Cemetery --located 3.2 miles out Tribble Road--straight up on a hill. on the left. There is a locked gate at the bottom of the hill on Tribble. William Parsons owns that property now. Across the road is the barn where Lincoln Sayre died from a gunshot. Henry is buried there with his parents, wife--Lanora Anise Sayre Combs--daughter of Mark Gillman Sayre--and Rhoda Combs Sayre--she married Marian Sayre. I would like to locate the family of Rhoda Combs Sayre. Rhoda died in Ohio. There is also two other children of Henry Clay and Lanora Anise Combs buried there--Edgar who died while working for the railroad in Ohio and Ulyssis Grant Combs who died young. My grandmother (Mary Blanche Combs Williamson) was the daughter of Henry Clay and Lanora Sayre Combs. There was a Preacher Combs--story was written in the Jackson Herald about him--"This Old House". He was the son of Wm. H. Combs and Sarah Susan (Sallie) Combs. I believe his name was also William. So many Williams... The William H.Combs I inquired about is the son of Henry Clay Combs. He was married to Lizzie See. I had no information on Lizzie See. We have his death certificate from Florida. That is where he died. I assume Lizzie died there also. I would like to find their family. We are having a Combs Descendants Reunion on Saturday, June 19th, 2004, 9 a.m. until afternoon at the Mason County (West Virginia) Farm Museum --just off Route 62 above Point Pleasant. Thank you for that information. You are a good historian and I read your information on the web. If there is further information, please let me know. Alice Click

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 11:34PM GMT
I believe Preacjer Combs name was William. He used to shout in church and I remember one time he hauled off and threw a songbook. I can picture him, but not his wife. I was at their home once when I was a teenager.

I have never been to the farm museum, but I would like to go. I seldom am able to get out of Greenbrier County, and with gas getting so high, it will be hard to go anywhere this year.

Thanks for the information on the Combs. If you would care for the information on the Sees, what I have is extensive. They came to this country prior to 1720 and settled in Schohari, New York and their name was spelled Zah at that time. Elizabeth's branch went from there to Tupenhagen Creek in PA, then to Preston County, Va, and then to Greenbrier County just in time to get caught in the Muddy Creek Mountain Massacre. Michael Frederick See's whole family was carred into captivity. Elizabeth's grand father was William See Jr.

Alice Click (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2004 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: Combs, See
Okey: Thank you for the information. I would like to have information on Lacy Ann Combs who married Martin Crum. I would like to get in touch with their descendants and invite them to the Combs Reunion. The West Virginia Farm Museum is quite a tourist attraction. All of the old farm machinery, gasoline engines, many buildings have been added--old printing press, old old Lutheran Church, plus many more. I would be interested in the See family. I would like to contact the descendants of Lizzie See Combs. The gasoline prices are high. Remember several years ago when we had to line up at the pumps? Thanks for the information on Preacher Combs. There was a story in the Ravenswood newspaper--This Old House--about him. alice click

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 5:52PM GMT
Alice,

This is what I have on the descendents of Martin Crum. There are none from recent generations. Perhaps you can use them as clues to look for those who are living. I would check the census, but i no longer have access to it. If i can find anything else, i well let you know. I have it because some of Martin's family married into one of my King families.

Descendants of Martin Crum

1 Martin Crum b: 1850
. +Lacy Ann Combs b: 1850
2 Sallie Crum b: October 16, 1866 d: June 02, 1911 in Jackson County Burial: Antioch Cemetery
... +William Michial King b: May 27, 1865 in Cow Run, Jackson County d: 1954 in Jackson County, WV Burial: Otterbein Cemetery, Jackson County m: August 22, 1886 in Jackson County Father: Francis "Frank" King Mother: Ruth Barimore
. 3 Nellie King
. 3 Harry Francis King b: Abt. 1897 in Near Cottageville, WV d: Abt. 1955 in Huntington, WV Cause of death: aneurysm of the carotid artery
..... +Grace Yoak
.. 4 Daughter King
...... +Cyrus J. Crevling
.. 4 William J. King
. 3 Infant King
2 James Okey Crum b: Abt. 1871 Census: 1920 Jackson Union
... +Lydia Dianna '"Anna" Sayre b: 1870 m: December 25, 1889 in Jackson County, WV Father: George Washington Sayre Mother: Mary Jane Lewis Source: Marriage records
. 3 Kenneth Crum b: Abt. 1896
..... +L. S. b: Abt. 1906
. 3 Hobart Crum b: August 03, 1897 d: February 1979 in Jackson County, WV
..... +Freda Sayre b: May 31, 1904 d: September 19, 1997 m: Aft. 1930 Father: Andrew Delmer Sayre Mother: Ada Rebecca Unrue
. 3 Hoyt Crum b: August 03, 1897 Individual Note: built his grandfather George W. Sayre's coffin
. 3 Deldra Crum b: Abt. 1901
. 3 Henry Crum b: Abt. 1903
. 3 Early Crum b: Abt. 1907
. 3 Walter Crum b: Abt. 1909
. 3 Earl Crum b: Abt. 1911
. 3 Bomont Crum b: Abt. 1913
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions