Search for content in message boards

Looking for Authority on Fulcher Family

Looking for Authority on Fulcher Family

Joseph Burcham (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2004 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:50AM GMT
Surnames: Fulcher
I descended from Thomas Fulcher, who was born in England and moved to Amherst Co, VA. I am looking for an authority on the Fulchers descending from him (also any other information about his ancestors).

Even better would be to find a book written about these Fulchers.

Can anybody give me a name and contact information?

thanks,

Joseph Burcham

Re: Looking for Authority on Fulcher Family

Posted: 15 Apr 2004 4:00PM GMT
Surnames: FULCHER, ROBBINS, MALONE, BROOKS, DAVIS, RICHARDS, RUSSELL
I have the three booklettes written by Ethelyn Kennon. There is a Thomas Fulcher listed in Patent Book 6 for Lower Norfolk Co. "PATENT BOOK 6: Thomas FULCHER 200 A. in Loer Norfolk Co. 26 Oct. 1666. P. 6. Thomas FULCHER 60 A. in Lower Norfolk Co. 28 Oct. 1672. P. 407" ("ower Norfolk comprised all that territory which in 1691 was made into the counties of Norfolk and Princess Anne. Lower Norfolk records start in 1637. The first court was held in the home of Capt. John SIBSEY 15 May 1637. He was a member of the House of Burgesses. His daughter Mary m. 1st Richard CONQUEST, 2nd the Thomas FULCHER mentioned in Patent Book 6. Mary and Thomas FULCHER had a son John, who is the John FULCHER mentioned in Patent Books 9 and 10.") Please contact me via e-mail and I can give you more info.
Diane Fulcher
dfulcher@tabletoptelephone.com

Posted: 20 Apr 2004 7:05PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:48AM GMT
Surnames: Fulcher, George
Hi!

I have some more specific information for you that I am looking for.

I am facing some contradictions in sources and I am hoping that you can help...

There are some holes in my lineage, but evidence points to me descending from John Fulcher and George William Fulcher. One of my sources says that John was born 1732 in Amherst County, VA and his son George William was born in 1769 in Goochland County, VA. A different source says that John was born in 1666 maybe in Norfolk County, VA.

John married more than once (according to one source). The reason these Johns appear to be the same person is because both sources say that one of his wives was Ruth Woodhouse. (However I believe I descend from his wife Susanna George).

The source showing John born in 1732 says that his father was Captain Thomas Fulcher. That can't be right because Thomas was born in 1643. The other source also says Captain Thomas was the father of John (born 1666) and the dates make sense here.

Can you help me sort this out? Which John is which? What are the correct dates for John? I am ultimately trying to trace my lineage to Captain Thomas Fulcher. I would appreciate any information that you can give me.

If any of this message is unclear, please let me know.

Thanks!

Joseph Burcham

Posted: 20 Apr 2004 7:57PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:46AM GMT
Surnames: FULCHER, George, Penn
My husband, Clay Madison Fulcher, is a decendent of George Fulcher, son of John Fulcher and Susannah George. We have George's birthdate as 1763 and death as 1818. This George Fulcher married Frances "Fanny" Penn (of the Pennsylvania PENN family.) George had a son named George William Fulcher who was born abt. 1791. The family was orginally from Amhearst Co. Virginia I have other names and dates if you need them. I DO NOT have parentage for John Fulcher, unfortunately and would love to make the connection back to Thomas Fulcher. Please feel free to contact me at fulcher@gdsys.net.

Posted: 22 Apr 2004 2:21AM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2006 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: FULCHER, Sibsey, Conner, Woodhouse
You are looking at two different John Fulcher's. John Fulcher, son of Thomas Fulcher died in 1712.

Captain Thomas Fulcher came to America after receiving a Chapter from the King of England to settle an area that is now Southern Virginia. His son John was the first Fulcher known to have been born in America.

Thomas was foreman of a jury in Lower Norfolk Co. in 1662

He witnessed a will in Lower Norfolk Co. in 1666

He received a patent for 200 acres in Lower Norfolk Co. 26 Oct 1666 and another 60 acres in same county on 28 Oct.. 1672. Court records show that in 1672 he was planning to leave the Country. In 1691 records state that he was in England.

Thomas and his wife Mary Sibsey Conquest lived at the Manor Plantation which was owned by her father and later sold by their son John, to Lewis Conner.

John and his wife Ruth were divorced in 1691. Court records state that he had a son
(not named) Wife sues for support of son.

In his will dated 1712 he makes no mention of his ex wife or a son. He leaves most everything to his God-son LEWIS CONNER. He set all his slaves free and gave them land to live on if they wanted to. Left land to a Capt. Horatio Woodhouse, ( this could be his ex-father-in-law, a brother-in-law or it may have been his wife's son, or his son who took his mother's name.

Posted: 22 Apr 2004 5:51PM GMT
Ellen,

Thank you for the response!

Joseph

Posted: 24 Apr 2004 1:40PM GMT
Edited: 18 Oct 2006 2:09PM GMT
The authority on the Fulcher's is ellenm@clis.com

Posted: 25 Apr 2004 9:42PM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2006 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Fulcher
Well, thanks for the kind words, Crump!

Ed Fulcher (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2005 2:10AM GMT
Bingo you are right on the money with your knowledge of the early Fulcher's in Va. (Your email April 2004) I found that data in the UVA library... read on because it was as a result of his freeing the slaves that the House of Burgesses (sp) outlawed freed Africans owning land. The problem I have is connecting these to the Fulcher’s in the 4 corner region of the Louisa, Spotsylvania county etc. I have the Fulcher Family Bible from 1800 to 1900. John, Darthula, Edward (Captian CSA) Joseph, Phillip, Lord the Roberts… from those that migrated from VA to Nashville 1870then on to Seattle, WA 1935.

Posted: 2 Jan 2006 1:59AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2006 1:00PM GMT
Surnames: Fulcher, Beasley
Looking for more information on a George Fulcher b.1817. I believe he married a Nancy Beasley b.1825 Their children were believed to be Elizabeth b.1853, George William b.1865, James A.1854, Benjamin 1848, Nursey1858, William 1845. It is believed they were fishermen. George Wm was my ggrandfather and he was born in Whortensville and married in Pamilco County. Any leads are appreciated. Thanks,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions