Search for content in message boards

Millenium File Records

Millenium File Records

Posted: 22 Apr 2012 11:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
What historical documentation were the Millenium File records (ie:links) comprised from. The Millenium Records are added in the hints leaf?
I find them very useful in establishing correct dates but am now wondering how the records are compiled especially for the older records prior to the year 1000ad. In this period records would have been relatively non existent.
Any information muchly appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Millenium File Records

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 4:20PM GMT
In my opinion, most dates prior to 1000 AD are just wild assumptions.

Re: Millenium File Junk (not "records")

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 5:21PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2012 11:20AM GMT
The "Millenium File" is compiled by a purported research firm of unknown character from 'client records' and other sources of an unknown nature.

There is no way to know whether any historical records at all were used to compile it. If Great-Aunt Hattie wrote up something for a 1923 Family Reunion, and said she thought her father was a descendant of XX of Revolutionary War fame, who she thought was a descendant of Charlemagne, that could be a 'client record' used in this compilation.

Consider it to be genealojunk and don't waste your time with it. Many books include hoked-up royal lineages; any of these could have been sources for this material. Or not. There is no way to tell.

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 5:56AM GMT
Thanks for the replies.
I had thought that ancestry.com would actually provide an answer to this question (still hoping!) as they have attached it to their records and links as a "source". Usually sources are complied from historical links. I have been using some of the "millenium file" links as correct??
From your replies it seems this is not so. I must admit where dates did not match I just go with what I already have and use Familysearch as the reliable source.
I guess this must be the case especially as ancestry.com has not made any attempt to provide a definitive answer.
Would still like an official response from ancestry.com regarding the "millenium file" sources.

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 2:55PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2012 11:20AM GMT
"Usually sources are complied from historical links."

By far the largest 'source' available on the Ancestry.com site is MemberTrees. There are other genealojunk database indexes based on some outfit's compilation from such things as submitted family group sheets and/or sundry published genealogical accounts, which similarly have no more specific source given than the outfit from which the index was acquired.

Ancestry.com explained the general source of the database index acquired under title of "Millenium File." Ancestry.com did not acquire the reports and working files compiled by the consultant that might (or might not) give source details. It is very unlikely that much of the source material would be posted on the internet, either as an Ancestry.com database or by some kind volunteer on such website groups as USGenWeb.

FamilySearch's International Genealogical Index, Ancestral File and Pedigree Resource File are mostly compiled from submitted family group sheets which might or might not be based on any evidence. They have been a ~source~ for many trees, but are of the same character as other trees on the internet and such compilations as the "Millenium File."

You are making a step forward in the desire for source-citations. But you won't find them specifically related to particular events and relationships within junk database indexes.

If you want genealogy based on evidence, there are no shortcuts for doing the records-research yourself. Most records are not accessible on the internet.

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 9:34PM GMT
Thanks, I must not have been able to find ancestry's explanation, thats disappointing.
Yes I do a lot of my own research and visit sites and churches for information specifically relating to our tree. I travel quite a lot to do research.
I will disregard most of the Millenium file records now unless they are from published sources. I have been viewing Familysearch for over 10 years and I think most of the early records were scanned from original documents and were viewable on microfiche. Always better to see the original even if its in Latin (better).

Posted: 26 Apr 2012 6:43AM GMT
This the information I have received from Ancestry.com regarding the "Millenium File"

Thank you for contacting Ancestry regarding the Millennium File on Ancestry.com.

The Millennium File is a database created by the Institute of Family Research to track the records of its clients and the results of its professional research. It contains more than 880,000 linked family records, with lineages from throughout the world, including colonial America, the British Isles, Switzerland, and Germany. Many of these lineages extend back to nobility and renowned historical figures. In fact, one of the things the Millennium File focuses on is linking to European nobility and royalty. A good way to have success in using this database is identify at least one Gateway Ancestor. A Gateway Ancestor is an early American immigrant who has been identified as having roots in British or European nobility. In this database there are about 300 Gateway Ancestors, or in other words, there are about 300 individuals who have proven ties to nobility or royalty. Source information is also provided in this database, making it easier to verify the accuracy of the research done. The Millennium File is a compiled source and is similar in form to other linked databases, such as Ancestry World Tree. Databases like these are great starting points for beginning your research. It is always good to find out what others have already learned and compiled about your ancestors.

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 11:17AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2012 11:21AM GMT
"I will disregard most of the Millenium file records now unless they are from published sources."--jow123

You will never be able to tell from the Millennium File entries whether any of them are from published sources.

~Published sources~ such as genealogies compiled largely from family lore, speculation and other genealogies, can also be very very wrong.

Posted: 7 Jul 2012 12:21AM GMT
Hello,
I did mean records ie: parish records or government records or perhaps ancient books.
Yes, that is the problem with the genealogies that are based on family lore and incomplete information. Very frustrating, I have spent quite a lot of time recently requesting where other ancestry users got their information. The answer is usually from other trees or the Millenium file. I like to collect my data from books and records.
I now find I have a large task as each link has information that may be incorrect and I will remove the parts that cant be verified from my tree. Records before the 13th century are the hardest to pin down but I rely on the written texts from the time or later.
Thanks for your reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic