Search for content in message boards

KALAMAZOO, MI INSANE ASYLUM

KALAMAZOO, MI INSANE ASYLUM

Posted: 9 Oct 2004 9:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have searched 5 patients in the 1930 census "Kalamazoo State Hospital" for the insane. Males, ages 36 to 70. Interresting, I can't find any of them dead anywhere. Don't all deaths have to be reported, even in State Hospitals for the insane? After going through 60 pages, I see there are men & women of all ages. I also wondered if this state hospital was used also for housing homeless and elderly.

Re: KALAMAZOO, MI INSANE ASYLUM

Janet Pavlak (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2004 1:55AM GMT
I was at the County Clerk's Office of Kalamazoo County to find the death certificate of someone I knew had died while they were housed at the Kalamazoo Hopital you mentioned. I did not find it. I returned again and a more friendly person pulled out a separate book stating all the deaths of that hospital. I don't know why they weren't included in the index book of other deaths.
Janet

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 3:20AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2005 4:07AM GMT
Janet thanks for your reply. You said there was a separarte book stating all the deaths. Was the cause of death in there? Were you able to get a "Death Certificate"? Did they tell you where they buried the patients that didn't have family to claim them? Appreciate any information. Thank you ..Pat Dickow

Janet Pavlak (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2004 1:56AM GMT
It was a separate smaller black book which the worker said contained the death records for the residents of the Kalamazoo Hospital. I saw the line which showed when she(person I was looking for) died, and that she had cut her throat. It stated where she was born, parents unknown and that she was a resident of the state Hospital but I did not see where she was buried.
If you write the county clerks office for the death record be sure to state they were a resident of the Kalamazoo State Mental Hopital.
Janet

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 3:07AM GMT
Thank you Janet for all your information. Hope I can help you sometime! Pat (Korby) Dickow

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 5:47PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Primm, Blight, Rowley, Sayles, etc...
Are you sure that all the people sent to the Insane Asylums stayed there until they died ? The reason I ask this question is because I know someone who was sent to receive treatment at a State Hospital in Pontiac, Michigan & they only stayed there for 3 to 6 months. Then they went home. This was back in the early 1960's. I was told that it was a Insane Asylum.

Posted: 17 Nov 2004 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2006 1:31AM GMT
I did not say that all the people sent to the Insane Asylums stayed there until they died! My statement: "Don't all deaths have to be reported, even in State Hospitals for the insane?" In other words, I have checked several , and none have come up in SS Deaths, Michigan Deaths, All States Deaths. So if they died in the Kalamazoo Insane Asylum,MI where they not reported?? Also this was patients from the 1930 census. I also think the State Hospitals for the Insane in the 1930's were quite different from State Hospitals in the 1960's I'm finding that the Kalamazoo Hospital keep 2 sets of books for their patients. Odd, I find this interresting. But then I'm a nut for explanations! (forgive the pun)...Pat Dickow

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Garvey, Redfearn
I realize that this is an old post, but I'm hoping that you are still interested in this subject, or that you can still direct me in the correct direction.

You mentioned "checking several" of the deaths at the Asylum and not finding them reported elsewhere, and also that the Asylum kept two books on its patients. Do you have any way of checking the Asylum's records for a specific patient?

My great-great-grandmother, Agnes (Garvey?) Redfearn died between 1901 and 1910 at the Kalamazoo Insane Asylum. She was probably born in January of 1870, was married to Isaac Noble Redfearn, and had four children: Esther, Mary Edith, Agnes Irene, and Edward (born in 1901). The only death records at the city level that I've managed to get a hold of mention a woman who I doubt is the same one I'm looking for due to conflicting ages and maiden names.

Even if you have no way of looking this up, if you have any ideas of where I could look next I would very much appreciate your reply. Thank you very much for your time and help.

-Jesse Norton deltawezen [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Posted: 8 Oct 2008 4:07PM GMT
I would contact the state of Michigan. I've had the same problem with the Pontiac State Hospital aka Clinton valley center. It is not town down. The place was so horrible that they made a horror movie there before demolishing it. Most of the people that died there and no family to claim them, etc. were buried in one cemetery in Pontiac. There is one area where all of these people are buried and you can recognize it by all the white slabs sticking out of the ground with nothing on them but numbers. That is is the numbers still show up due to age.
Jennifer

Posted: 9 Oct 2008 10:42AM GMT
Pontiac State Hospital aka Clinton valley center: This is the place where my mom stayed. I don't believe it was a nice place. She received shock treatment there. She talked about that place every time she had to go back into any hospital for treatment. She hated that place with a passion.
I knew that they had torn it down, so when she was sent to the new Pontiac hospital for something, I tried to figure out where that place was. Do you know what street it was on and the address?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic