Search for content in message boards

Looking for more information on the Booth Family Line

Looking for more information on the Booth Family Line

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 3:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Booth, Wynn, Anderson
I've been trying to trace the Booth Family line for some time. I'm originally from Armstrong, Ontario, Canada and my grandfather, Arthur James Booth, moved to Armstrong during the 50's and married my grandmother, Jennie Wynn (nee Anderson). Sadly my grandfather passed away when my father was about 7. I believe I have found my grandfather's birth certificate stating that he was born near Windsor, Ontario, but I'm not sure how common the name "Arthur James Booth" is. I have heard stories from my family that I am a cousin to John Wilkes Booth but have never been able to find proof of those claims. I currently live in Staten Island, NY and have learned that Edwin Booth opened a theater in The City during the mid to late 1800's. I would love to find out if I am somehow a part of that Booth Family line. If anyone has any information or would be able to help in some way would be great. Thanks in advance :)

Re: Looking for more information on the Booth Family Line

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 4:20AM GMT
Surnames: Booth
I have done extensive research on the family of Junius Brutus Booth, Sr. and I would have to dispute any claim of being related to this family. When JBB, Sr. and his common-law wife Mary Ann arrived in South Carolina and then went on to Maryland, he had no relatives in the US. They had a large familly, but children Henry, Frederick, Elizabeth and Mary Ann died in childhood and did not leave descendants. Of the remaining children, Junius Brutus, Jr. was married three times; his two daughters (Blanche and Marion, half-sisters) left no descendants; he had two sons who died before reaching maturity, and two sons who lived to adulthood but neither had descendants. Rosemary was unmarried and had no descendants. Edwin was married twice, had a daughter (Edwina) who did have two children and there are descendants through Edwina's daughter Mildred's son but their surnames are not Booth; Edwin's son from his 2nd marriage to Mary McVicker died at birth. Asia had a large family but only her daughter Dorothy had children but none of the grandchildren had descendants. John Wilkes was engaged at the time of his death, but left no descendants. Joseph Adrian, the youngest child, was married twice; his first child died at birth and his wife died in childbirth; his 2nd wife Cora Mitchell (his cousin, his Aunt Jane--father's sister--married a Mitchell) and they had a little boy who died at age 2 years. He did not have other children. Edwin Booth was among the founders of The Players Club in NYC in the Grammercy Park area; it is a private club.

I hope this has helped.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 2:13AM GMT
Would you have any information about the Booth Family in the UK? I was told that the relation that I was suppose to have to John Wilkes Booth was made in England or Scotland.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 5:32PM GMT
Junius Brutus Booth, Sr. was one of four siblings, however, two of his brothers (including the one that a former Prime Minister's wife claimed to be descended from) died when they were 3-5 years old. The only sibling of Junius Brutus Booth to survive to adulthood was his sister Jane who married a Mitchell and lived in Baltimore, MD. The name Booth is very common in both the UK and the US, much like Smith. Over the years I have seen Booths of English and Irish origin; Booths in just about every state of the US, including Maryland and even in Harford County, MD and none of them were related. The family of Junius Brutus Booth was Portuguese in origins, the name was originally Botho. They were Sephardic Jews who were driven out of the Iberian Peninsula in the 1600s and settled in England and changed the name to Booth. In the early days they were silversmiths and distillers (Booth Gin is still distilled today); JBB, Sr's father Richard, who was a lawyer.

I hope this helps you. I have seen so many people who have heard the story through their families that they are related to the Misguided One. I have heard many of these stories and have never found a connection between these people and the Bel Air, MD Booths.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 2:09AM GMT
I'm originally from Canada, Armstrong, Ontario to be exact. We were the only Booth family in the community. Upon moving to Thunder Bay, Ontario, there was only 4 other Booth's listed in the phone book. I know that my grandfather, Arthur James Booth, was born in Southern Ontario - possibly London, Ontario.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 5:40PM GMT
I'm not familiar with Canadian records. I would try the message boards but rather than do the Booth surname message board, I would try the message board for Ontario, Canada. Do you have historical and genealogical societies in Ontario like they do in different communities in the States? That also might be a good place to look. Do you know where your relatives are buried or went to church? There may be information to be found there. Have you looked at death certificates? Have you tried looking for your grandfather in the census records when he was a child? Booth is a very common name and unfortunately, Arthur is also common, like William or John. I hope my suggestions have helped.

Posted: 11 May 2013 8:40PM GMT
Hi, I am from the Booth family (Scotland) I read your post. My family originated from Scotland but some moved to America. I have been trying to trace the USA side, all I know is there was 2 members that moved to America, female I think. Do you think there may be a connection. What year are you trying to trace from Scotland?
Thanks

Posted: 12 May 2013 12:31AM GMT
I'm orginally from Northwestern Ontario and my Grandfather on my fathers side was from Windsor, Ontario or near there. I have been looking for info on the Booth family line into Scotland/Ireland/England but have no idea what info I would need to start that search

Posted: 25 May 2013 10:31PM GMT
My research is on Edwin M Stanton and William H Seward in their relationship to John Wilkes Booth. I believe Susan Nash is completey wrong and there are Booth relatives of John Wilkes Booth in Canada.

The Stanton and Seward family were close to the Booth family by Historical records as they liked to entertain guests by inviting acting Booth relatives as dinner guests. It's still that way today with most high end officials in government.

I think the most interesting thing is the fact that Ward Hill Lamon's parents were renting a house from Belle Boyd's family at Bunker Hill VA/WV when Ward Hill Lamon was guarding the President.

This was actually documented in a court case over a damaged fence.

I have a lot more info on this including info from Margaret Booth's family. Margaret Booth was second in command at Louis B Mayer's MGM Studios. Louis B Mayer was from Canada. who b M

Posted: 27 May 2013 2:48AM GMT
Sadly my Grandfather passed away when my father was 7 and there isn't much info known about him. I would have to assume that some of the Booth family moved into Canada, my Grandfather was born or lived near Windsor, Ontario. Growing up in NW Ontario, my family were the only "Booth's" and even upon moving to Thunder Bay, we were 1 of 5 families.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic