Search for content in message boards

BRIDGES, Monticello, Green County

BRIDGES, Monticello, Green County

Rob Bridges (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2005 5:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BRIDGES
searching for information about George W. Bridges (dates not known), his wife D.E. Bridges (dates not known) and their son, William Albert Bridges born 1856. They lived in Monticello, Green County, WI. Any info is appreciated!

Geo. W. & Delia E. Bridges household, 1860, Monticello

Posted: 17 Apr 2005 4:43AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Bridges
Rob wrote, "searching for information about George W. Bridges (dates not known), his wife D.E. Bridges (dates not known) and their son, William Albert Bridges born 1856. They lived in Monticello, Green County, WI. ..."

1860 US Census, WI Green Mount Pleasant, Post Office Monticello
G.W. BRIDGES, 36, Waggonmaker, real property $4220, personal property $400, [born ME?]
Delia E., 23, NY
Ida, 6, WI
Willie A., 4, WI
[Mertilla?], 1, WI

Geo. W. BRIDGES probable family of origin, 1850 census

Posted: 17 Apr 2005 4:48AM GMT
1850 US Census, WI, Green, Town of Mt. Pleasant
Ebenezer BRIDGES, 65, Farmer, real property $2600, Maine
Deborah, 65, ME
George W., 26, Carriage Maker, ME
Robert S., 41, Farmer, ME
Susan M., 34, ME
Georgianna A., 5, ME
Appleton [L? J?], 2, ME

Geo. & Delia Bridges household, 1870 Swan City, Saline, NE

Posted: 17 Apr 2005 5:01AM GMT
1870 US Census, NE Saline Swan City
BRIDGES, Geo. W., 46, Miller, real property [$8000?], personal property $400, ME
Delia E., 33, keep house, NY
Ida, 17, School, WI
Willie A., 14, School, WI
Mortella J., 11, School, WI
CHILDS, Marietta, 40, NY

Geo and Delia Bridges household, 1880 Crete Saline NE

Posted: 17 Apr 2005 5:05AM GMT
1880 US Census, NE Saline Crete
BRIDGES, GW, 57, Miller, ME ME ME
Delia E., 43, wife, keeping house, NY NH NH
William A., 24, son, at home, WI ME NY
Mortella, 21, daughter, at home, WI ME NY

Re: Geo. W. & Delia E. Bridges household, 1860, Monticello

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 7:08AM GMT
Surnames: bridges
i am a descendant of {mertilla)but my family actually spells it myrtella, and quite often she was called or known by her middle name, ione (or iona). from notes my aunt made for me she mentions that it is supposed that myrtella was of english decent.

her father, the man listed as g.w. bridges, his name is also found as george w. bridges (i still have yet to find out the whole middle name..washington or william maybe?) and he served in the military during the civil war for north carolina.

i dont know what i have that could be useful, as it seems quite a few of the same census listings that i have found have been mentioned in previous replys, but i do have 2 photos of myrtella and i could have more, i have not finished scanning in my family photos; but just incase here is the link to my tree:
http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?tid=1269649&pid...=

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 3:38PM GMT
Thanks for your reply to my question about Mortella Bridges. Unfortunately, I cannot view your tree without buying a subscription to Ancestry.com!

Here is some more information about George. I believe his middle name is "William", but I don't have proof of that yet.

I have some photos too. Let me know if you would like to trade photos.

1897 NE obituary notice: From the Crete Vidette, Sep 30, 1897. He emigrated from Maine to Green Co., Wisconsin in 1845, and then to Lincoln NE in 1868, and Crete NE in 1869. George and his wife moved to Riverside, Ca with his daughter and son-in-law in 1894, where he died.

1967 NE Saline County, Crete: excerpt from "The Crete News" (July 20, 1967), recounting the history of the Crete Mill on the occasion of the 100th anniversay of the town of Crete: "George W. Bridges bought some land from John Bertwell in 1869. Together with partner O.W. Balztley, they built a small grist mill. It was known as the Mapleton Mills because of the trees found in the area. In the mid 1870s, Balztley's interest was bought by J. R. Johnston, and the mill became known as "Bridges and Johnston". The mill burned down in 1880, and was rebuilt by Bridges and Johnston at a cost of $50,000. The new mill was renamed "The Crete Mills". In 1882, Johnston sold his share to C.C. White, and the firm became known as Bridges and White. In 1885, Bridges sold his share of the mill to J.D. Glade.

Posted: 30 Jul 2007 8:42PM GMT
Surnames: bridges
i would love to share photos, im guessing email would be easiest? my email is alaina7a7@yahoo.com. ive finished with the photos and i now have 3 that relate to myrtella, 2 with her in it and then one of the picture of her last residence in california(she died in 1924). i dont have any photos of her ancestors but i have a lot of her children and grandchildren.

i knew george owned a mill, but i didnt know that much detail thanks.

Posted: 31 Jul 2007 5:15AM GMT
Yes, let's please do trade pictures! I have photos of Delia Bridges (wife of George W. Bridges), her son William Albert Bridges, his wife Margaret Carolyn McNeely-Bridges, and their descendents. I have a few mystery photos too, which you might be able to identify, plus I am still searching for information about the ranch that George W. owned in Victoria, Texas, where his son Albert lived briefly around 1901.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Robert Stanley Bridges, Houston TX

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 1:40AM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2013 1:56AM GMT
Surnames: bridges atwood buchannan childs
Old Thread, but I have new info.

Just received Delia's death certificate from Los Angeles County, CA. Tried to obtain other family members' too, but have not found the right counties for them yet/records aren't being found (including Myrtella, which the CA index says she died in 1924 in LA Co., but received a no record found letter from LA)

Delia's middle name was spelt "Emmaline" in her record.

Fathers Surname: Unknown
Mothers Surname: Atwood
Informant: H M Buchannan
Informant's address 2036 W 28th St, Los Angeles, LA Co., CA

(Delia lived/died at same address, d. 14 Jan 1913, and is listed there in 1911 and 1912 city directories).

Delia was living in 1900 in riverside (widow) w/ son-in law Johnston & grandchildren (dau. Ida d. before her). Between 1900-1908 (and through 1910 census) she appears to have returned to Omaha, Nebraska for a time; living as a lodger in 1910 census, back in West 28th St., LA, CA by 1911.

Anyone know of any ATWOOD (or CHILDS) connections, or new info, on the Bridges family or Delia? (even any more on Buchanan?) H M Buchanan, the informant appears to be Myrtle D Johnston's (Delia's grandau. through Ida) husband Harris M Buchanan.

Any info or thoughts much appreciated, she is still my brick wall!

(on another note, obtained marriage record copy for G W bridges in 1852 from Wisconsin hist. society, and the actual record says Caroline D CHILDS, just like the index)- but no parents names)

There's some connection with the CHILDS family- to the Bridges and.or Delia- but I can't figure it out. 1870 There is a Marietta Childs living with Delia and G W Bridges, and in 1930 Myrtle Johnston Buchanan (informant's wife and Delia's grandau.) has a Cordelia L. Childs (aunt to head of house Harris M Buchanan) age 86 living with them in 1930 census in LA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions