Search for content in message boards

The Bynum Cemetery at Maynard's Cove, Jackson County, Alabama

The Bynum Cemetery at Maynard's Cove, Jackson County, Alabama

Posted: 11 Mar 2002 12:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jul 2002 12:16PM GMT
Surnames: NIX, GALLOWAY, WASHBURN, BYNUM
I only recently discovered that there are BYNUM'S in my family tree! I am particularly searching for the existence of Isaac Newton BYNUM.b.1755 and d.1845. Reported to be a Revolutionary War Veteran and one of the early settlers of North Alabama, and Maynard's Cove. Jackson County Alabama. Does anyone know of the existence of a on-line listing for the BYNUM Cemetery at Maynard's Cove? Also some time in the past five years there was a feature article in the Huntsville Times on Scottsboro, Maynard's Cove and the Cemetery. Does anyone know about that article and how I can obtain a copy? I have information about the NIX and BYNUM connections in Blount and Etowah county that I will share.

Re: The Bynum Cemetery at Maynard's Cove, Jackson County, Alabama

Posted: 24 Apr 2002 1:14AM GMT
Dalton, there are a few Bynums mentioned in the republication of History Of Jackson County Alabama by John Robt. Kennamer.
" Among the early settlers of Maynard's Cove were John & Thomas Holland, JOHN BYNUM, & Wm. D. Proctor."
"The Maynard family settled in Maynard Cove before Jackson Co. was organized. John Holland became Justice of the Peace in Jan. 1823 & held the office for many years". ( I find these clues helpful when looking for marriages & census neighbors)
"Walter BYNUM bought J.D. Dodson's farm in Boxes Cove" ( 4 mi. east of Larkinsville).
" Maynard's Cove churches were blown down in the 1932 cyclone".( clue for newspaper report)
" The daughter of Robert T. Scott, founder of Scottsboro, was Mrs. Lucy ( Scott) BYNUM, a school teacher."
" 1872 merchant in Scottsboro was BYNUM & Brooks."
" Mrs. C. H. BYNUM was a large landowner in Carpenter Station". ( now known as Long Island, Al. located just across the Tennessee River from Bridgeport, Al.)
A helpful book is "Lay down With Dogs" by Byron Woodfin"
A story of Hugh Otis BYNUM & the Scottsboro First Monday Bombing.
Sorry I can't help with Issac.
In the Scott family cemetery in Scottsboro are the following BYNUMs: Katie Mae, b. 10-29-1880, d. 1-18-1881; John Wm., b. 11-1-1867, d. 6-18-1868 & Lillie, b. 8-30-1868, d. 8-31-1868. All three names were on the same stone. Good luck, Mary

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 6:33PM GMT
Surnames: Tinney
Curious is you ever found out any information about the Bynum's in Maynard's Cove. Isaac Newton Bynum is one of my ancestors. His daughter, Mary Emaline, would be my great great grandmother. The line stops for me at Isaac.

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 2:05AM GMT
Surnames: White
Issac Newton Bynum is my 15th Great Grandfather. His wife was Tabitha Young from Tennessee but that is all the information I have at this time.

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 1:37PM GMT
The Bynum Families in Jackson County are part of a much larger Bynum family that continued on to the area of Oneonta in Blount County. We have an organization that has been studying this family for years. We are having our 25th annual reunion the last week in September. There will be people there that can trace the several lines of the Bynum family for you. If you are interested in attending please contact me for additional information. daltonn@knology.net
Dalton J. Nix 256-830-2338

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 1:40AM GMT
I did find I. N. Bynum born 1842 died 1924 in the Bynum Cemetery, Jackson Co., AL. This could be the son of the Isasc Newton Bynum that you are looking for. This I N Bynum was next to Cynthia Bynum B.1838 d 1896 There are several other Bynums buried there but mostly Mannings.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 3:48AM GMT
I am considering a trip to Maynard's Cove this spring to look for the resting place of my gr-gr-grandparents, all my info reports say that they are buried there, can you help? there name is Rodden/Roden, James and Rebecca, Rebecca's maiden name is Whalen

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 11:09PM GMT
There are no tombstones with RODEN names standing at Bynum Cemetery.
I do have some Roden kin in DeKalb County, Alabama, and several named James. But I cannot identify your family. If you will supply more data, DoB, DoD locations etc I will search my records.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 12:33AM GMT
James Rodden/Roden, b. 1847, Jackson County, Ala,...d. 1 Mar 1883 in Maynard's Cove, married to Rebecca, James being her second marriage, first to a John Rodden, I believe there is no relation, not 100% sure, she was born 1836 in Ala, died 1886 in Maynard's Cove as well, any help would be greatly appreciated..... Bobby.... BPonRTE66@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 25 Apr 2014 10:51PM GMT
Have you found the Bynum's in "The Heritage of Jackson County, Alabama Vol 36 p 120,( a co. history). The husband of my 2nd great grand aunt, Malinda King was John Hutton whose mother was a Hutton.
Also my 3rd great grand aunt, Martha King who married Griffith Tinney and they lived in Alabama . Their son John Calhoun Tiney married Mary E Bynum on January 22, 1850
I think I also just sent you a message asking for some sources of any kind about Mary Susan Hutton as 4th child of Malinda King and John Hutton....one I have not had in my tree and kind of need some assurance before I add her. Let me know if you need more inf on Bynums in book I mentioned. Waynette King Davis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic