Search for content in message boards

Identifying what regiment my ancestor served in during WWI

Identifying what regiment my ancestor served in during WWI

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 5:17PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Huszovszky
I was hoping someone who has used the National Library of the Czech Republic's site http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/Welcome.do
could help. I looked up my ancestor Janos Huszovszky to find what records they have, and they do have one. I cannot open the doc as you need LizardTech djvu installed and I cannot do this at my work computer. He was born in 1882 in Kapi near Presov in Slovakia. I am hoping this is his record. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Identifying what regiment my ancestor served in during WWI

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 11:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Unfortunately, the record for Janos is just an alphabetical list of the names of casualties. There is no other information in the record other than his name.
CK

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 3:14PM GMT
Thank you very much for checking this out.

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 3:48PM GMT
I do have one more favor to request. I tried to nail down the Regiment by the color of the buttons and the facing colours, but since the picture I have does not show the lining of the jacket or the cuffs, I am not sure what would be the determining facing colour. Any ideas would be appreciated greatly.
Attachments:

Huszovszky

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 4:02PM GMT
Hi Stephen Hiatt (I hope that's right)

I had a go searching for Huszovszky. I found 6 references on different pages of a periodical. This is the first one. I assume that's what you found as well.

Schematismus für das kaiserliche und königliche Heer und die kaiserliche und königliche Kriegs-Marine für ... Periodical Page
ISSN: 2220-0541
Volume: 1909
Page: 581
Miohler Oskar Motka Carl Elek Samuel Rhedey Aladär Huszovszky Ferdinand Bortnyäk Stephan Vietorisz Stephan Bartoa Nikolaus Egry Franz Dr. pol. Mizsäk Joseph Javornltzky Eugen Hubozak Michael Lehoozky Carl Domonkoa Georg Aczöl Hugo Kroö Isaak Szepessy Stephan Weiszmann Hermann

But when you click on the link, you get this notice:

Periodical Volume Date: 1909
* Page Number: 581

* URI:
http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/handle/ABA001/29531572

In compliance with the Copyright Act ("Autorský zákon", no. 121/2000 Coll.) some of these documents can be displayed only in the premises of National Library of the Czech Republic in Prague. A copy of these documents can be obtained by means of formulaire for ordering paper copy. You can obtain a copy of certain article or a part of monography (max. 20 pages) by Document Delivery Service. Info about this system is here. http://www.nkp.cz/pages/edodo.htm (in Czech)

So it seems for this record you have to be in Prague to see it, but you can get a copy.

By the way, you don't need the plug in to get that far. Unfortunately I can't read very much Czech so can't help on what you have to do. But I suppose you can use Google translate to get the gist of it.

Hope this helps.

Helene

Re: Huszovszky

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 5:15PM GMT
Thanks Helene. Every bit helps tremendously.

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 6:29PM GMT
Helene & Stephan,
There are listings for men with the surname Huszovszky in the Schmatismus but none are for a Janos Huszovszky. The only listing for a Janos is in the alphabetical listings of casualties. There was listing for a Georg Huszovszky in the periodical called "News of the Sick and Wounded". This periodical often (but not always) lists a man's birth location and date. So, I checked it out to see if the home town was the same as Janos'. I thought if it was the same, then we could identify the regiment. But as luck would have it, Georg's record did not list his birth location. I have attached Georg's record so that you can see his regiment and type of wound. Georg was a platoon leader in the Landwehr Army in infantry regiment 9, in its 8th company. He had a broken arm. Anyway, nothing on Janos.
CK
Attachments:

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 6:31PM GMT
just click on the attachment to be able to read it.

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 6:42PM GMT
Thank you for the additional information that added clarity to the records. Janos did have a brother George that fought in WWI, but he was in the American 151st Field Artillery National Guard unit. I will just have to try to figure out his uniform going forward. Thanks again for the great help.

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 11:31AM GMT
Based on his birthplace Janos served in one of below units (if he was drafted to the infantry):
common (k.u.k.) 67th infantry regiment
Hungarian (k.u.) 9th Honvéd infantry regiment
common (k.u.k.) 32nd Feldjager battalion
Please note that the 'Kramerius' contains the names of the loss reports (dead, wounded or captured) not all soldiers of the army. There can be spelling mistakes in the original reports and scanning mistakes in the database as well.
Did you contact the military archives in Vienna and Budapest?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions