Search for content in message boards

African Americans in Crittenden & Livingston Cos., KY

African Americans in Crittenden & Livingston Cos., KY

Janet K. Hawkins (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2002 8:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gray, Crawford, Lowery, Hughes, Nunn, Newcom, Threlkeld, Rutter, Barnes, Graves/Groves, Pippin, Hodge, Turley, Moore, Coffield, Yeakey/Yakey, Wheeler, Grissom, Cole, Hamilton, Clement, Terry, Thurman/Thurmond
I am researching African-American families who lived in Crittenden & Livingston Co., Ky, before and after the Civil War. I have a lot of excellent information to share! I am very interested in corresponding with descendants of families from these areas.

Some (not all) of the surnames I'm searching include the following:

Gray, Crawford, Lowery, Hughes, Nunn, Newcom, Threlkeld, Rutter, Barnes, Graves/Groves, Pippin, Hodge, Turley, Moore, Coffield, Yeakey/Yakey, Wheeler, Grissom, Cole, Hamilton, Clement, Terry, Thurman/Thurmond.

I look forward to sharing information!! Janet

Re: African Americans in Crittenden & Livingston Cos., KY

pb (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2003 7:19AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2003 5:33PM GMT
Surnames: JOHNSON, WILLIAMS, WHEELER, FOXWELL, PIPPENS
I'm interested in tracking Johnson family of Crittenden Co.
Phillip Johnson was born around 1850, married Antonia Williams (possibly Wheeler). Son died young. Daughters were Laura, Lenora, Allie...Lenora married Iley Foxwell of Providence, Ky., Laura married ...Mitchell of Providence, Ky and at some point Allie was married to ...Pippens. Had a son named Dell or Tell, twin granddaughters. In old age lived in Washington, DC. Can't make a match for Allie.

Posted: 12 Jul 2003 1:30PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2003 10:43AM GMT
Surnames: Turley, Berry
My ancestors were Turleys that lived in Crittenden County, KY. Their names were Philip and Nancy Berry Turley. They were listed on the 1880 census as residents of Dycusburg, KY. Their children included Newton, Pearl, Ada, and Almer. I'm not sure of the spelling of Almer, it could have been Alma. Their son, Cull, who is not listed on this census was my great-grandfather. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Lora Washington

Posted: 22 Jul 2003 1:31AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2003 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Berry, Baker, Crider
Lora,

I changed my email account recently and just found your message.

I have Nancy Turley's mother's name as Mariah Berry. I also found Nancy's marriage to Phillip, but she was listed as Nancy Baker, so I assume she must have been married before (two of her children are listed as Baker on the 1880 census).

One other thing I found about the Berry family. Muster rolls for the 8th U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery include the following information, which indicates that Maria Berry had a son named Joseph Crider:

Soldier's name: Crider, Joseph
Birthplace: Caldwell Co., KY
[Born either in NC or Caldwell co., records conflict]
Died: 20 March 1865, pneumonia.

Letter to Mr. Muzzy
“Bounty records show Maria Berry, mother of Joseph Crider Co. A…. Certificate 576831 for $147.48 received March 1, 1871. Paid May 20, 1871 through [Freedmen's] Bureau agent B.P. Runkle. Receipt sent to CDO? June 29, 1871. Address of Saldin[?] Dycusburg, KY. W.C. Pickney and CD Laneth

I might have other info about the Turleys, which I'd be happy to share. Could you send me a copy of your tree with grandparents' names? You can email me at janetiguana@cox.net. Hope this helps, Janet

Posted: 21 Dec 2007 5:07PM GMT
looking for any information on newcom slaves belonging
to the decendents of joseph newcom (livingston co, ky)
also union co ky

Posted: 5 Feb 2008 5:12PM GMT
Hello there I hope you are still around. I am trying to help out a little black lady who is in nursing home and she is 94 years old. We are working with her to try and put her family history together she was born and raised in Crittenden co. Ky. She says her mother was born a slave.
Nellie ( this is the lady) was born June 24, 1913 in Crittenden co. her father was John Farley her mother was Nora or Nara Hardy Terry, I am thinking this would have been her masters last name. John's mother's name was Amanda Clement they called her Mandy can you shed any light on this Plese.

Posted: 15 Feb 2008 2:58AM GMT
Not that it's impossible, but her mother would have been around 50 when she was born (if her mother was born in the early 1860's). Is it possible that it was her grandmother that was a slave?

Posted: 15 Feb 2008 12:14PM GMT
Surnames: Farley, Qualls, Terry, Hardy
According to the mother's obit she was born around 1871 that would have made her around 45 years old which is not impossible. Any way if any one has any information on the Black Farley or Qualls name in Crittenden & Livingston Co. Ky I sure would be grateful. Nellie does not have any idea when her mother was born for sure or were she was born. She is 94 years old and just wanting to know some information about her family. We are also looking for information about the old Black School that she went too. Rosenwald in Marion it was located on North Weldon Street at the edge of town. Looking for pictures etc. Can you help with any of this?

Posted: 15 Feb 2008 9:00PM GMT
If the mother was born in 1871, she would not have been born a slave as emancipation happened long before that.

Have you posted on other boards?

Posted: 17 Feb 2008 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Terry, Farley, Hardy, Qualls
Just want to know if any one has information on the Terry, Farley or Qualls families of Crittenden & Livingston co. Ky. and maybe I can piece the pieces together.The story that has been passed down is that Nora was born in to slave. She did not know who her parents were or when she was born. But maybe she was talking about her mother who knows just know that that is the story. If any one can help
Thank You
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions